Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Posts: 257

26 Mar 2017, 1:32 pm

questor wrote:
With two bad knees, a bad back, and other health issues, I am not able to do martial arts as others do. I do, however, get around with 2 steel offset handle quad canes. I took the time to study up on using canes in martial arts, but those weren't quad canes, so the methods used with regular canes won't work with quad canes, which are heavy at the bottom end. In my study of the situation, I did see some alternate maneuvers that would work with quad canes, so I looked into the parts of the body that I should aim for if I am attacked. This was very helpful. I also make a habit of doing some practice defense moves with my canes. Being steel, they weigh almost 5 pounds each, so this is helpful. I deliberately bought steel ones instead of aluminum versions, as I am very overweight, & felt the steel ones would be better able to handle my weight. I have lost about 50 pounds since then, but am still very overweight. I will continue doing what has helped me to lose the weight, so I will hopefully keep losing it. Although they are heavy, I actually like my steel canes, as I am able to handle the weight of them. Also, it's like lifting hand weights every time I take a step with them, so it's good exercise for me.

Because of my weight and bad knees, there is no way I can run away from an attacker. I considered a hand weapon, but can't manage one while using the canes, and no mugger will stand politely by while I get one out of my tote bag or holster, so I decided not to burden myself with the extra weight, and instead chose to look into using my canes for self-defense, as they are always with me. I am pleased with what I have worked out. I just hope I never have to use them in a real-life situation.

Just remember, don't mess with the two cane ninja! :D :ninja:


Haha, that sounds cool.



dossa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,590
Location: The right side of my couch...

29 Mar 2017, 7:30 pm

I used to... Japanese Ju Jitsu... not the ground grappling stuff, nope... upright combat style. It was fun for awhile there.


_________________
"...don't ask me why it's just the nature of my groove..."


Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,653
Location: A cold place with lots of blondes.

30 Mar 2017, 4:11 am

Yes. Did Bujinkan a while ago. It did wonders for my body/motoric skills and awareness of my surroundings.


_________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" (Carl Sagan)


W91T
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Posts: 257

01 Apr 2017, 5:46 pm

dossa wrote:
I used to... Japanese Ju Jitsu... not the ground grappling stuff, nope... upright combat style. It was fun for awhile there.


I want to learn combat style too!

Ichinin wrote:
Yes. Did Bujinkan a while ago. It did wonders for my body/motoric skills and awareness of my surroundings.


I've actually never heard about it before, how is it?



Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,653
Location: A cold place with lots of blondes.

01 Apr 2017, 6:17 pm

W91T wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
Yes. Did Bujinkan a while ago. It did wonders for my body/motoric skills and awareness of my surroundings.


I've actually never heard about it before, how is it?


Short answer: It's fun.



Its a couple of martial arts schools put together to one martial art, it's a bit like Aikido, Jiu-jutsu and Judo with lots of techniques that are considered no-no in other martial arts, that is why there are no competitions which deter some people who want to measure themselves against others, but others who just want to learn defence or practice Budo love it.

You can read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bujinkan


_________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" (Carl Sagan)


W91T
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Posts: 257

01 Apr 2017, 7:56 pm

Ichinin wrote:
W91T wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
Yes. Did Bujinkan a while ago. It did wonders for my body/motoric skills and awareness of my surroundings.


I've actually never heard about it before, how is it?


Short answer: It's fun.



Its a couple of martial arts schools put together to one martial art, it's a bit like Aikido, Jiu-jutsu and Judo with lots of techniques that are considered no-no in other martial arts, that is why there are no competitions which deter some people who want to measure themselves against others, but others who just want to learn defence or practice Budo love it.

You can read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bujinkan


Oh, that seems interestning. I'm able to see some judo traits. The movements are really swift too.



techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,090
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

18 Apr 2017, 5:38 pm

As of right now I'm about 8 1/2 years into a mixed kali, panantukan, wing chun, and kuntao system with some ground jiu-jitsu elements but more focus on defense against jiu jitsu and grappling w. ground-educated striking rather than extensive implementation of grappling.

It seems like the plateaus are like layers of shale and every five or six months I notice improvements. Admittedly though in my first five years I was three days per week or more. When I hit black belt I got busy with other things and it's been down to one or two days per week - I guess mostly to keep the motivational pilot flame lit but also due to other things just taking that time.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


W91T
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Posts: 257

22 Apr 2017, 4:49 am

amykitten wrote:
Why are you interested in if people do a martial arts?


When I posted this I had just began practicing judo

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
As of right now I'm about 8 1/2 years into a mixed kali, panantukan, wing chun, and kuntao system with some ground jiu-jitsu elements but more focus on defense against jiu jitsu and grappling w. ground-educated striking rather than extensive implementation of grappling.

It seems like the plateaus are like layers of shale and every five or six months I notice improvements. Admittedly though in my first five years I was three days per week or more. When I hit black belt I got busy with other things and it's been down to one or two days per week - I guess mostly to keep the motivational pilot flame lit but also due to other things just taking that time.


Too bad that you're too busy, good that you're still practicing it though



munenmusou
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 25 Apr 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 9

25 Apr 2017, 2:23 pm

I recently started Kendo at our local dojo. There is a big Japanese community in my area and most of the families participate. It's particularly good for me since everything is very structured and there is a right and a wrong way to do every action.

Most of the 'do' 道 (meaning 'the way of') martial arts are very formalized vs the 'jyutsu' 術 training that is more focused on practical applications. Finding a training space and teachers that fit with your personality is key.

Another interesting martial art is Kyuudou (弓道 the way of the bow) but I don't know of any place to get serious training in my area.



W91T
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Posts: 257

26 Apr 2017, 2:21 pm

munenmusou wrote:
I recently started Kendo at our local dojo. There is a big Japanese community in my area and most of the families participate. It's particularly good for me since everything is very structured and there is a right and a wrong way to do every action.

Most of the 'do' 道 (meaning 'the way of') martial arts are very formalized vs the 'jyutsu' 術 training that is more focused on practical applications. Finding a training space and teachers that fit with your personality is key.

Another interesting martial art is Kyuudou (弓道 the way of the bow) but I don't know of any place to get serious training in my area.


That's good, not too long ago I learned that some people actually have different ways in how they do certain martial arts, which I think is confusing. It seems better to just have a right or a wrong way to do it



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,310
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 May 2017, 2:16 am

I took karate in elementary school because I was getting beat-up alot. I s#cked at it thou cuz of dyspraxia & I was struggling with school & homework cuz of my dyslexia & other issues so I was pretty stressed out with everything. I quit after I got the 2nd stripe of my blue belt. I don't remember anything I learned.


_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people, Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat: we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.


W91T
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Posts: 257

07 May 2017, 5:54 am

nick007 wrote:
I took karate in elementary school because I was getting beat-up alot. I s#cked at it thou cuz of dyspraxia & I was struggling with school & homework cuz of my dyslexia & other issues so I was pretty stressed out with everything. I quit after I got the 2nd stripe of my blue belt. I don't remember anything I learned.


That's too bad, but the blue belt is not bad



Alita
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 901
Location: Surrounded by water

15 May 2017, 10:06 am

questor wrote:
With two bad knees, a bad back, and other health issues, I am not able to do martial arts as others do. I do, however, get around with 2 steel offset handle quad canes. I took the time to study up on using canes in martial arts, but those weren't quad canes, so the methods used with regular canes won't work with quad canes, which are heavy at the bottom end. In my study of the situation, I did see some alternate maneuvers that would work with quad canes, so I looked into the parts of the body that I should aim for if I am attacked. This was very helpful. I also make a habit of doing some practice defense moves with my canes. Being steel, they weigh almost 5 pounds each, so this is helpful. I deliberately bought steel ones instead of aluminum versions, as I am very overweight, & felt the steel ones would be better able to handle my weight. I have lost about 50 pounds since then, but am still very overweight. I will continue doing what has helped me to lose the weight, so I will hopefully keep losing it. Although they are heavy, I actually like my steel canes, as I am able to handle the weight of them. Also, it's like lifting hand weights every time I take a step with them, so it's good exercise for me.

Because of my weight and bad knees, there is no way I can run away from an attacker. I considered a hand weapon, but can't manage one while using the canes, and no mugger will stand politely by while I get one out of my tote bag or holster, so I decided not to burden myself with the extra weight, and instead chose to look into using my canes for self-defense, as they are always with me. I am pleased with what I have worked out. I just hope I never have to use them in a real-life situation.

Just remember, don't mess with the two cane ninja! :D :ninja:


Wow, that's fantastic. Have you thought of setting up a school for people in a similar situation? I think it would really take off, especially with the older crowd who daily feel threatened in their own homes and aren't very mobile. :)

I used to do Krav Maga (the Israeli groin-kicking martial art). I really miss it. :ninja:


_________________
"There once was a little molecule who dreamed of being part of the crest of a high wave..."
(From the story 'The Little Molecule' - Amazon Kindle, 2013)


W91T
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Posts: 257

15 May 2017, 2:03 pm

Alita wrote:
questor wrote:
With two bad knees, a bad back, and other health issues, I am not able to do martial arts as others do. I do, however, get around with 2 steel offset handle quad canes. I took the time to study up on using canes in martial arts, but those weren't quad canes, so the methods used with regular canes won't work with quad canes, which are heavy at the bottom end. In my study of the situation, I did see some alternate maneuvers that would work with quad canes, so I looked into the parts of the body that I should aim for if I am attacked. This was very helpful. I also make a habit of doing some practice defense moves with my canes. Being steel, they weigh almost 5 pounds each, so this is helpful. I deliberately bought steel ones instead of aluminum versions, as I am very overweight, & felt the steel ones would be better able to handle my weight. I have lost about 50 pounds since then, but am still very overweight. I will continue doing what has helped me to lose the weight, so I will hopefully keep losing it. Although they are heavy, I actually like my steel canes, as I am able to handle the weight of them. Also, it's like lifting hand weights every time I take a step with them, so it's good exercise for me.

Because of my weight and bad knees, there is no way I can run away from an attacker. I considered a hand weapon, but can't manage one while using the canes, and no mugger will stand politely by while I get one out of my tote bag or holster, so I decided not to burden myself with the extra weight, and instead chose to look into using my canes for self-defense, as they are always with me. I am pleased with what I have worked out. I just hope I never have to use them in a real-life situation.

Just remember, don't mess with the two cane ninja! :D :ninja:


Wow, that's fantastic. Have you thought of setting up a school for people in a similar situation? I think it would really take off, especially with the older crowd who daily feel threatened in their own homes and aren't very mobile. :)

I used to do Krav Maga (the Israeli groin-kicking martial art). I really miss it. :ninja:


Cool, I remember I wanted to practice it too, but I couldn't find a place nearby



Alita
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 901
Location: Surrounded by water

16 May 2017, 12:18 am

W91T wrote:
Alita wrote:
questor wrote:
With two bad knees, a bad back, and other health issues, I am not able to do martial arts as others do. I do, however, get around with 2 steel offset handle quad canes. I took the time to study up on using canes in martial arts, but those weren't quad canes, so the methods used with regular canes won't work with quad canes, which are heavy at the bottom end. In my study of the situation, I did see some alternate maneuvers that would work with quad canes, so I looked into the parts of the body that I should aim for if I am attacked. This was very helpful. I also make a habit of doing some practice defense moves with my canes. Being steel, they weigh almost 5 pounds each, so this is helpful. I deliberately bought steel ones instead of aluminum versions, as I am very overweight, & felt the steel ones would be better able to handle my weight. I have lost about 50 pounds since then, but am still very overweight. I will continue doing what has helped me to lose the weight, so I will hopefully keep losing it. Although they are heavy, I actually like my steel canes, as I am able to handle the weight of them. Also, it's like lifting hand weights every time I take a step with them, so it's good exercise for me.

Because of my weight and bad knees, there is no way I can run away from an attacker. I considered a hand weapon, but can't manage one while using the canes, and no mugger will stand politely by while I get one out of my tote bag or holster, so I decided not to burden myself with the extra weight, and instead chose to look into using my canes for self-defense, as they are always with me. I am pleased with what I have worked out. I just hope I never have to use them in a real-life situation.

Just remember, don't mess with the two cane ninja! :D :ninja:


Wow, that's fantastic. Have you thought of setting up a school for people in a similar situation? I think it would really take off, especially with the older crowd who daily feel threatened in their own homes and aren't very mobile. :)

I used to do Krav Maga (the Israeli groin-kicking martial art). I really miss it. :ninja:


Cool, I remember I wanted to practice it too, but I couldn't find a place nearby


It's not very widespread. That's why I stopped.


_________________
"There once was a little molecule who dreamed of being part of the crest of a high wave..."
(From the story 'The Little Molecule' - Amazon Kindle, 2013)


fakkau89
Raven
Raven

Joined: 19 Jan 2017
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 106

21 May 2017, 7:32 am

I used to do Tae Kwon Do as a kid, I think the highest level I got was either yellow tip or yellow full.

I used to be good at sparing.

I might get back into Tae Kwon do soon, or the other option is Muay Thai (Thailand Boxing aka The art of the 8 limbs)
which I really enjoyed and seems quite full on for self defense, yeah I might do that instead of TKD.

Have yet to spar with MT but during training it is not compulsory, it is opt in.

actually mt might be good with strengthening my knees, cool cool cool.