Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kanenas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2016, 12:36 pm

I have atrophical Hashimoto thyreodits (chronic inflammation of the thyroid) which is an auto immune disease which results in my thyroid attacking itself, shrinking and thus not being able to produce hormones at a normal rate. This of course results in hypothyroidism as well. Thus I will be dependent on medication for the rest of my life, unless I want to suffer the symptoms and finally die of organ failure. This condition was misdiagnosed and heavily mistreated by my doctors until an endocrinologist diagnosed it correctly.

After seeing another Aspie with a thyroid condition on this forum today, I wanted to ask if that is as common amongst autistic people as I suspect it to be. Let it be hyper or hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's or anything of the sort.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 12:47 pm

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/825053
Levothyroxine is the Nation's most widely prescribed drug at 23 million.

In my case, minor thyroid issues came from one side of the family and ASD issues from the other.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 7:50 pm

I have Thyroid Disease, which I got from my mother's side.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 3:55 am

I've got hashimotos.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2016, 9:11 pm

Another Aspie with Hashimoto's.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 10:29 pm

i have hashimoto's too. i was diagnosed in my early 20's, and i've been taking 100+ mcg of levothyroxine a day for a long time now. i wonder when it started though, or how much it had to do with mood-disorder episodes i've had throughout my life (especially before the diagnosis, of course). i really have no idea

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Oct 2016, 7:12 pm

Me & my girlfriend are both on the spectrum & neither of us has a thyroid problem. However my girlfriend's mom has hypothyroidism that required medication & my girlfriend's cat had hyperthyroidism that required medication till we had some kinda radiation thing done to her.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition