Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

WhoNav98
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2016, 12:16 pm

I read that most autistic people are overweight or obese, also that exercise and diet isn't enough. Does that fact alarm you in any way? This is the main site I received this information: https://spectrumnews.org/news/obesity-t ... th-autism/

Or in other words make you feel determined to lose the pounds.

To me, I feel disgusted with my own body and I will do anything to be weightless. Even my autistic friends don't understand how I'm trapped in a wrong body and my fear of gaining weight, they just love food don't they.

Does Autism affect your weight?

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 11:47 am

I had no idea there was a link between autism and being overweight. If that's the case then I must not be autistic at all because I'm 5'4'' and weigh between 115 and 117.

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2016, 8:37 pm

WhoNav98 wrote:
I read that most autistic people are overweight or obese, also that exercise and diet isn't enough. Does that fact alarm you in any way? This is the main site I received this information: https://spectrumnews.org/news/obesity-t ... th-autism/

To me, I feel disgusted with my own body and I will do anything to be weightless. Even my autistic friends don't understand how I'm trapped in a wrong body and my fear of gaining weight, they just love food don't they.

I believe that a good diet is enough, and you don't need to excessively exercise to maintain a healthy BMI. There's lots of people that're slim that just maintain a good diet, with only do minimal exercise in their daily routine.

I get fatigued easily (Anemia), have asthma, and I just walk for exercise. I was heavier living with my parents, but since moving out and being able to cook or eat whatever I want, whenever I want, I've slimmed down significantly.

I cook everything from scratch with a fresh variety of ingredients, don't consume much dairy (it's expensive, I only buy milk to put in my coffee), and don't buy anything that's pre-made (boxed, canned, or frozen). If I'm hungry, I have to work for it. It ensures that I'll only make the effort to eat when I'm hungry, since I'd be too lazy to otherwise and it prevents me from boredom eating.

The art of cooking has made me enjoy and appreciate food so much more, it's satisfying to eat a hearty meal that you created, and feels even better when you can share it with your spouse, family, or friends. There's much less guilt to eating when meals aren't processed to death.

Also, going out of your way to exercise can increase your fitness level, but it doesn't guarantee dramatic weight loss. In fact, you may find yourself heavier on the scale if you gain more muscle mass, but it does help to burn fat.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 12:50 pm

Moccu wrote:
WhoNav98 wrote:

I believe that a good diet is enough, and you don't need to excessively exercise to maintain a healthy BMI. There's lots of people that're slim that just maintain a good diet, with only do minimal exercise in their daily routine.

I get fatigued easily (Anemia), have asthma, and I just walk for exercise. I was heavier living with my parents, but since moving out and being able to cook or eat whatever I want, whenever I want, I've slimmed down significantly.

I cook everything from scratch with a fresh variety of ingredients, don't consume much dairy (it's expensive, I only buy milk to put in my coffee), and don't buy anything that's pre-made (boxed, canned, or frozen). If I'm hungry, I have to work for it. It ensures that I'll only make the effort to eat when I'm hungry, since I'd be too lazy to otherwise and it prevents me from boredom eating.

The art of cooking has made me enjoy and appreciate food so much more, it's satisfying to eat a hearty meal that you created, and feels even better when you can share it with your spouse, family, or friends. There's much less guilt to eating when meals aren't processed to death.

Also, going out of your way to exercise can increase your fitness level, but it doesn't guarantee dramatic weight loss. In fact, you may find yourself heavier on the scale if you gain more muscle mass, but it does help to burn fat.

I agree with Moccu. Eating healthy and exercise doesn't always equal losing a dramatic amount of weight. I know this because even when I was at very fit I still weighed 180 or 195 pounds. I did a lot of walking around the track in high school. I did gain to over 195 because I became an emotional eater but I don't do that anymore and still weigh in the 220 230 range. I don't weigh myself often so I'm not quite sure.

I've been eating very healthy. I still eat sweets but I eat them in small portions. Processed food is disgusting and it doesn't even count as real food. Everyone is built differently. I also jog and do other exercise.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 2:11 am

I don't think it is an autism thing...I myself am short and skinny, if anything I get too underweight but I've never been overweight, if anything it seems difficult to gain weight and losing weight is dangerous for me because my typical weight is like borderline underweight. Also though, you can't be weightless, I mean not sure one can survive with no body fat, but if you are concerned of your weight it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and eat healthier and get more exercise.

Also keep in mind people have different body types and such, one doesn't have to be skinny to be healthy...basically you don't want to have too much or too little weight, but the correct amount depend on the individual.

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2016, 5:24 am

There's different body types, sure.

A bigger and taller frame (skeleton) doesn't really weigh all that much by itself, even when compared to someone who has a smaller frame and of equal height.

The weight difference between one larger-framed person and one smaller-framed person, with fat added on and all, probably shouldn't exceed 20-40lbs.

Excessive body fat is acquired overtime, I've rarely seen overweight small children, so something must have gone wrong during adolescence/adulthood if you suddenly pack on lots of pounds, more than what's needed.

jcfay
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2016, 2:02 pm

as a scientist myself, i wouldn't say there is any sort of causal link established between obesity and autism. the article goes on to describe, however, how some autistic traits (selective diet, lack of interest in socializing which could include exercise activities) could explain why some children with ASD are heavier.

but then one of the studies cited also found this (pulled from the PubMed reference):

"Adults with autism had significantly increased rates of all major psychiatric disorders including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, schizophrenia, and suicide attempts. Nearly all medical conditions were significantly more common in adults with autism, including immune conditions, gastrointestinal and sleep disorders, seizure, obesity, dyslipidemia, hypertension, and diabetes. Rarer conditions, such as stroke and Parkinson's disease, were also significantly more common among adults with autism."

so what does it say if all medical conditions were reported as "more common" in adults with autism? I think there may be a reporting bias. we use healthcare more, we get more attention, and we're diagnosed with ASD which from my vantage point as a clinician is a really broad and inexact diagnosis. as a result, i think this could lead diagnosticians to look even closer at our health, and as a result, get a slight increase in reporting of prevalence numbers for comorbid diseases.

so who knows. i'm certainly a little bit chubby :?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 5:38 am

I'd say that this is just a coincidence.

It might be that autistics are more likely to be overweight (due to comfort eating, something i myself am guilty of at times), but simple dieting and/or exercising (or even simply eating less) works just fine to undo the effects.

hulkie21
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2016, 10:52 am

I am going to gain some muscle too. What is your opinion of supplements? Do you take some? I have discovered at https:// and I have already ordered some for me. It helps really a lot in building muscle and developing healthy body

Last edited by B19 on 02 Dec 2019, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.: spam