Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 11:45 pm

What is your opinion on the obesity epidemic? What do you think cause do it? Do you think the second fattest president in American history will affect it?

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:49 am

I think the current generation of adults was the first to be raised on a proper 'junk food in abundance' diet. Before that, there was not as much junk food, and actual food was in scarce supply in comparison to today. Now, people are growing up in a world where the food is terrible for our bodies, it's available absolutely everywhere AND we're more likely to live sedentary lifestyles with desk jobs and so much at-home entertainment. A terrible combination.

I know from my experiences as a parent that so many of us are working to resolve it for the next generation, so hopefully things will improve again. After things have gone wrong, there is so much more going on to educate about health and fitness - and how to fit it into a lifestyle that's so much more sedentary. I believe things will get better again.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 9:20 am

I think a lack of physical exercise is also a part of it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Jan 2017, 10:02 am

Poor diet, lack of exercise, and too much alcohol. Once you dig yourself into a deep enough hole it's hard to get out of, people are use to instant gratification and it's a hard commitment when bad things are all around you.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 10:25 am

BettaPonic wrote:
What is your opinion on the obesity epidemic? What do you think cause do it? Do you think the second fattest president in American history will affect it?

Are you sure he's fatter than John Adams, Grover Cleveland, Chester A. Arthur and Theodore Roosevelt? But anyways, I would say considering how thin Obama was his entire presidency, a president's weight doesn't seem to have much influence on America's eating habits.

As to the obesity epidemic, too many people eat too much quick and easy high calorie processed foods. Along with drinking surgery beverages. I've read a lot about weight gain/loss, I believe the primary component is total daily intake of calories. Cut down the calories and lose weight even without exercising. But of course exercising is important to help maintain proper health.

Last edited by EzraS on 28 Jan 2017, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 10:25 am

I think a big part of it is portion control. People think that you need large amounts of food at every sitting, including junk food and healthy food, when you don't.

People are also understandably very confused about what healthy food is.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 11:07 am

I more mean a fatter president might not see obesity as much of a health crisis.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 11:11 am

BettaPonic wrote:
I more mean a fatter president might not see obesity as much of a health crisis.

To be fair, it sounds like health isn't on his agenda at all. :lol:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Jan 2017, 11:35 am

I think it's a stretch to call Trump obese, he's a big guy but so were LBJ and Bill Clinton. Did you think of them as fat presidents?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 11:38 am

It's a battle to be fought by the individual. It takes personal willpower and no one can provide that for you effectively for long.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 11:53 am

Trumps BMI is about 29.5 so half a point away from obese.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 12:04 pm

Taft weighed in at about 360 lbs at one point. He became Chief Justice after his Presidency.

Trump's weight has no relevance. His policies do.

Weight has little relevance in one's ability to do a good job.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 12:12 pm

I am not saying Trump being fat will make him a bad president, I am saying that because he is fat he might be soft on obesity.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 12:40 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
I am not saying Trump being fat will make him a bad president, I am saying that because he is fat he might be soft on obesity.

There are bigger issues for a president to tackle than obesity. Obesity is just a ruse to avoid taking on real problems. Besides, Trump seems to have gotten more fat women out marching (exercise) with that women's march last week than Barack and Michelle Obama's efforts ever did so we ahve to give The Donald that much credit.

If you're fat and want to lose weight it doesn't take a president or the government to get you there.
A modified diet and exerciser will usually do the trick.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 12:52 pm

He's 70 years old. He can be excused for being a little rotund.

He's no social activist. Don't count on him to combat obesity. He doesn't give two craps.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 1:14 pm

I think obese people are nicer.

The thin ones will preach healthy eating to you.