Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 2:13 pm

Deep Heat wrote:
So you think peoples ancestral background has no bearing on what someone should choose to eat? Holistic Health expert Paul Chek, explains it very simply in this article, on primal pattern diet typing, which he personally uses in his own clinical practice.

Primal Pattern Diet Typing
https://chekinstitute.com/wp-content/up ... g_2014.pdf

There's a longer explanation by Bill Wolcott himself. The first 5-10 pages should be enough for you to get the idea on what the system is based on.
Why Metabolic typing
https://www.synergisticseurope.com/wp-c ... typing.pdf

If you could at least read the first article that I have cited and explain what you think is wrong with this approach, then I would be glad to know your opinion on the flaws of this system, before you state what you personally believe is a better method to be used in a clinical setting.

There is real science and there is pseudoscientific scam capitalizing on the same keywords without any real science to back it up.

Do I believe genetics play a role in proper nutrition? Yes. Do I believe these "experts" and "Institutes" have it all figured out? No.

Deep Heat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2021, 5:18 am

I've tried to provide evidence to show that metabolic typing is not pseudoscience, so I've gone pure science with this one. The two main sources I have referred to as evidence, have 95 references between them and are from reputable sources. Metabolic typing has practical applications in a clinical setting and there is a ton of science based evidence to support this. The first one is ''Metabotyping and its role in nutrition research'' published online by Cambridge University Press on 22nd August 2019 and the second, is a published paper on ''New research developments and insights from Metabolism'' which was published in March 2015 by the endocrinology division from Harvard University.

If after reading this, you still think metabolic typing is pseudoscience can you please explain how you came to this conclusion please?

''Personalised nutrition is at its simplest form the delivery of dietary advice at an individual level. Incorporating response to different diets has resulted in the concept of precision nutrition. Harnessing the metabolic phenotype to identify subgroups of individuals that respond differentially to dietary interventions is becoming a REALITY. More specifically, the classification of individuals in subgroups according to their metabolic profile is defined as metabotyping and this APPROACH has been employed to SUCCESSFULLY identify differential response to dietary interventions. Furthermore, the approach has been expanded to develop a framework for the delivery of targeted nutrition. The present review examines the application of the metabotype approach in nutrition research with a focus on developing personalised nutrition. Application of metabotyping in longitudinal studies demonstrates that metabotypes can be associated with cardiometabolic risk factors and diet-related diseases while application in interventions can identify metabotypes with differential responses. In general, there is STRONG evidence that metabolic phenotyping is a promising strategy to identify groups at risk and to potentially improve health promotion at a population level. Future work should verify if targeted nutrition can change behaviours and have an impact on health outcomes.''

Source:

Metabotyping and its role in nutrition research

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... 12951FFFFA 35 references

Here's some MORE highly reputable sources that have published the above research by Lorraine Brennan and Elaine Hillesheim.

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/M ... 447ad2791d

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31434587/

''In a field of great importance to daily life and CLINICAL care, metabolic related research covers a wealth of information and knowledge. This broad field encompasses a number of physical states that are increasingly critical to study, including obesity, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease. Additionally, the impacts of diet, nutrition, and exercise on these physical states are an area of ever important and expanding research. With the latest advances in metabolic research, much knowledge has been gained. Here, we present the newest findings from research published in Metabolism. We hope that these results provide not only critical knowledge needed for CLINICAL care and daily life, but also a platform for the continuing expansion of research into metabolic-related issues.''

Source:

New research developments and insights from Metabolism, published by the endocrinology division from Harvard University

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4459594/ 60 references

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 5:36 am

You are mixing articles of very different quality and nature. Yes, clearly there is connection, genetics affect aspects of metabolism, food sensitivities, affect bioavailability, there individual variations of recommended intake of essential nutrients, etc. This is a subject of research and it's going to play a role in figuring out better nutrition for every individual, just like medication prescriptions would take your genetics into account in the future.

On the other hand, bro scientists, who reference these publications in their marketing materials and claim they can figure out your "metabolic type", based on $50 paid questionnaire or $200 blood test, with results like like "you are protein type" or "you are carbohydrate type" - are obviously just scam.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 5:40 am

If you will post another link to marketing materials of a particular company practicing this stuff, I'll report your account for spreading misinformation and fraudulent activity/spam.

Deep Heat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2021, 3:28 pm

I openly admit that I have probably misunderstood the terms 'metabotyping' and probabaly is not relevant to my point about Metabolic typing, so if you would like my last post deleted then feel free to contact a mod for it to be deleted. I contacted a metabolic typing advisor directly myself to ask them their opinion on the science literature I cited and openly admit its probably not relevant to the conversation.

I still think Paul Cheks article on primal pattern diet typing is a good way to give someone a rough idea when it comes to deciding how to eat, instead of just picking a diet at random and seeing if it works for them long term, without any consideration regarding ancestral/ethnic background. It's just a starting point. I did politely ask you to read it and give me your thoughts on it and suggest another system you are aware of if you disagreed with it. I did give a slightly long explanation of my views on diet dogma at the end of my veganism thread and no one probably read it because it was to long, so didn't comment on what I had written.

There's no such thing as a carbohydrate type in the metabolic typing system. The closest to that would be a variable type I believe. Paul Cheks primal pattern diet typing isn't merely based on metabolic typing. If you look at the reference section there are roughly 26 references, so he didn't just make this up out of thin air.(''In my now 25-year career, I have studied the works of hundreds of nutrition, health and medical experts'' direct quote from page 6) It was based on years of clinical experience, which he has applied with good results for his clients in a clinical setting. I'm not entirely sure you actually read the article and have possibly made your mind up without reading it and looking at the references. Lets agree to draw a line under talking about metabolic typing and primal pattern diet typing for now. I probably haven't explained it very well to be honest.

I wouldn't personally say Paul Chek promotes bro science / pseudoscience. If he did why would so many professional sports teams and individual athletes hire him to help them, if he didn't have a clue what he was talking about. He's not everyone's cup of tea I admit.

I'll do a thread on who Paul Chek is and if you and the other members including the mods feel it is unacceptable for someone to talk about Paul Chek on this forum, then feel free to have me notified if it is inappropriate. I like talking about diet, nutrition, soil science, regenerative farming practices, food politics, trigger point therapy, stretching, gut health, breathing mechanics, the natural world and things of this nature. Maybe I'll just do a personal thread every so often and then its up to the individual if they want to discuss what I would like to talk about.

Deep Heat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2021, 12:00 am

You have supported no evidence that what I have posted is fraudulent. This statement about bro science/ pseudoscience seems to be entirely of your own opinion. Even on the topic of the published papers I last cited which I openly admit are probably not relevant to the discussion of metabolic typing as a stand-alone protocol is still not fraudulent information.

''The Nutrition Society was established in 1941 ‘to advance the scientific study of nutrition and its application to the maintenance of human and animal health'.

Highly regarded by the scientific community, the Society is the largest learned society for nutrition in Europe.''

Source:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/societie ... on-society

''Nutrition and Metabolism is an essential purchase for students of nutrition and dietetics, and also for those students who major in other subjects that have a nutrition component, such as food science, medicine, pharmacy and nursing. Professionals in nutrition, dietetics, food science, medicine, health sciences and many related areas will also find much of great value within its covers.''

source:

https://www.nutritionsociety.org/public ... metabolism

Dr Rhonda Patrick who is a highly regarded PhD, biochemist who has done extensive research on aging, cancer, and nutrition. Her ground-breaking work includes studies of how vitamin and mineral inadequacies impact metabolism, inflammation, DNA, and aging, and whether supplementation can reverse the damage. She herself offers genetic reports which one of them is a metabolism report.

Source:

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/genetics

On the subject of metabolic typing. Admittedly this was a small study that was carried out, but was done by a respectable person with a PHD of 20 years from the school of nutrition and health sciences at taipei medical university.

'In conclusion, it is recommended that individualized diets and nutrients as determined by the Metabolic Typing® test can be used to efficiently carry out weight management.''

Source:

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... pingR_test

As far as I can tell what I have posted doesn't match your own views and you want to label them as bro science/pseudoscience with no supporting evidence. If you would like to post some then I will read it with an open mind. I have only cited professionals in the field of research and clinical practitioners. If you care to read my thread on Paul Chek, I think you'll agree his credentials and client base speak for themselves, which give testament to the fact that he is a highly regarded professional by many.

A lot of people get rubbed the wrong way when he talks about God and metaphysics, but that doesn't negate the fact that he's probably one of the best in the world in corrective and high-performance exercise kinesiology, among many other professional talents. Are you not interested to hear what someone has to say about strength and conditioning who was hired as a strength and conditioning consultant to the Chicago bulls during the Michael Jordan era. I've openly admitted to mistakes I have probably made in my posts, but still stand by everything else that I have posted, unless given other perspectives to look at.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 4:16 am

I've already said there is real science in this field, obviously. But none of your sources has any scientific evidence that supports legitimacy of whatever "metabolic typing (R)" pseudoscientific systems and protocols offered by fitness scams.

Quote:
If you care to read my thread on Paul Chek, I think you'll agree his credentials and client base speak for themselves, which give testament to the fact that he is a highly regarded professional by many.

No, his self-proclaimed credentials don't speak for themselves. All his credentials are very questionable, I'm not going to waste time researching this mess.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 11:06 am

In defense of keto, here's my personal experience with it (which was what was requested).

I've eaten keto for most of the last 3 years.

I became interested because I had cancer and I read somewhere it helps by restricting the glucose that cancerous cells need to replicate. I'm not a scientist, I know this isn't scientifically accepted, it may not even be real. I did it anyway because when you think you're dying you'll try anything.

I don't have cancer at the moment. May or may not have anything to do with keto.

What is definitely to with keto though (i know because it reverses every time I stop eating keto), is that when I eat keto my weight drops to a healthy level and stays there. My moods stabilise. I have better mental clarity. I have more motivation. I can run further without getting tired. My psoriasis disappears. I generally feel much better physically.

Keto got popular and now there's a backlash - it's just the way of things. If you look on the internet you'll find as many sources as you want to either support something or tear it to pieces.

I don't advocate for keto. I make no claims for it. I don't tell people I meet that they should do it. I just have my experience and my experience is that my body loves eating keto and feels, functions and looks better when I do.

My partner feels awful when she eats the way I do - so I don't think it is for everyone.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 11:49 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Keto got popular and now there's a backlash - it's just the way of things. If you look on the internet you'll find as many sources as you want to either support something or tear it to pieces.

This is happening to any trend. As soon as something gets some traction, fitness scammers hijack keywords and bastardize research studies and start selling the same old MLM BS using new trendy words, like "Certified LEVEL 99 KETO practitioner" or "KETO BODY RECOMPOSITION (R) Bootcamp", "SUPER-DUPER KETO FAT-BURNING" pills, etc. Same s**t as with legit genetic analysis and "metabolic typing".

Deep Heat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2021, 5:23 am

DuckHairback, I'm glad to hear that you currently are free from cancer. Your experience is what I'm personally trying to advocate. Listening to your physiological responses of your body, instead of it being purely an intellectual thing. With people constantly saying science has proven this, science has proven that. If it can't be validated with mainstream science then it doesn't work, even if it has been proven in a clinical setting time and time again over decades. What works for one won't necessarily work for another as you have stated.

DuckHairback, if you don't mind me asking is your partner from a different ethnic background from yourself?

I'm not anti keto par se either if this is how I'm coming across. I guess my question is 'ketogenic the ideal diet for everyone and a starting point for treatments in a clinical setting?'. I believe 'should I go keto starts of with wrong question'. But I think the three of us have more in common, than disagreements. I'll let you decide, if you would like to read my post in its entirety.

I'm aware of the clinical applications of ketogenics in the treatment of cancer and epilepsy and such and realise it has value. I'm anti diet dogma and diet trends which I believe completely misses the point about individualised nutrition and tries to constantly promote the latest one size fits all model which, is perpetuated by the mainstream narrative. I tried to explain some of this in my 'dangers of veganism' in this thread in my last post. viewtopic.php?t=399465

'Clinical' definition
relating to the observation and treatment of actual patients rather than theoretical or laboratory studies.
"clinical medicine"

I personally think a billion scientific studies without clinical observation/experience to back it up is worthless in my opinion. A professional in a clinical setting will use what is appropriate to that particular individual (patient) based on their own individual needs. If you had a health issue, would you want advice from a researcher or someone with 20 plus years of clinical experience? Research can accompany this, but I believe it not be the basis of treatment.

badRobot, I think you will find Paul Cheks views are not to dissimilar to your own. This is not an entirely anti keto article that it may seem, but does raise some key points. It's anti diet dogma and following diet fad trends like sheep. I have picked out some key points that I feel are relevant to this conversation and not cherry picked them to try and prove a point. The source article is cited below if you wish to see for yourself.

''“People are like sheep. One person says something and they all follow.”

Perhaps, nowhere else is the truth of that more evident than in the fields of diet and nutrition. Year after year, the “latest and greatest” fad enthralls the public for a short time, until the next one surfaces.

The ketogenic diet appears to be the current mesmerizer whose media spell manages to block all logic, rationale and common sense. But its “15 minutes of fame” will meet with the same fate as all the other fads that have preceded it or will most assuredly follow.

The truth is what lasts the longest. Fads dry up and blow away.

Hopefully, you instantly saw the flaws inherent in the ketogenic diet and did not fall for its fallacies. Although it appears to be “all the rage” currently on social media, it is just the blind leading the blind.

Why? First, although the 90 percent protein + fat/10 percent carb Eskimo diet is ketogenic and can rightfully be viewed as largely responsible for the legendary good health of that indigenous culture, many other indigenous cultures thrived equally well on high-carb/low protein + fat diets.

The Hadza of Tanzania, the Kuna of Panama, the Kitava in the Pacific Islands, the Tukisenta in Papua, New Guinea, the Okinawans in Japan, the Quechua in Peru or the indigenous peoples of Crete all obtain a high percentage of their total calories and macronutrients from foods that are high in carbohydrates, yet they are remarkably lean, fit and free of modern disease.

The diet of the Tukisenta in New Guinea is more than 90 percent carbohydrates, virtually the opposite of the Eskimo whose diet contains very little or no carbohydrates at all!

Third, if a ketogenic diet is THE healthy diet for everyone, then why does it make some cancers worse? And, why has a plant-based, very high carb/low protein + low-fat diet proven effective in reversing many kinds of cancers?

Carrot juice, green drinks, whole grains, fruits, vegetables and wheat grass juice among many foods have been found time and again to be effective for many people with many types of cancers, especially the “hard-tumor” cancers like breast, colon, liver and prostate.

Fourth, anyone willing to take the time to Google ketogenic diets will find many people reporting the failures and problems associated with them. Of course, to the religiously fanatical proponents of the diet, such reports are ignored or dismissed as “heresy.”

Finally, over nearly four decades of applying Metabolic Typing® CLINICALLY on hundreds of thousands of people, we have witnessed time and again the reality of metabolic individuality: No one diet is right for everyone and what works for one person has little effect on another, and can make a third person feel worse.

The ketogenic diet is no different in that regard from any other diet. The ONLY right diet for any health problem is the diet right for one’s metabolic type.

I have spent my athletic and professional careers studying, exploring and testing a wide variety of diet applications, be they for enhanced athletic performance, mental performance, spiritual development practices, weight loss, healing from diseases or general body-mind well-being.

Many of my close friends were elite skiers, martial artists and champion Motocross racers. My friends and I were always looking for every competitive advantage we could find, including diet. Being in boxing requires competing in a specific weight class, which generally involves a fairly intensive program to manage diet to keep our body weight down and performance up!

I have witnessed MANY diet fads come and go in my life and professional career, now 32 years long. I’ve really seen it all…

From flat bread diets, legume diets, fruit only diets, vegetarian and vegan diets and juice only diets to Barry Sears and the Zone diet, Atkins diet, Ornish diet, South Beach diet, starvation diets, paleo diets and, more recently, ketogenic diets.

Those on high-carb, vegetarian or vegan diets often gained the benefits of a wider variety of plant-based foods and detoxification from the extra fiber and nourishment, but became progressively deficient in fat-soluble nutrition (from sources that are harmonious with their own genetics).

It’s also very common for them to see a variety of signs leading to endocrine imbalance, which is easily tracked clinically to poor androgen production, particularly if they are athletic. This is demonstrated by such factors as significant loss of lean muscle mass, poor recovery from exercise, chronic structural and cognitive challenges, blood sugar problems and adrenal fatigue that often lead to hypothyroidism and other health problems over time.

So much of vegetarian and vegan diets is driven by religious or spiritual dogma, it is very common to be sitting with such patients while they defend the perfection of their diets and lifestyles, and vehemently express how important it is to save the animals and the planet.

Sadly, I have to remind them that if what they are saying is true, they would not need my help. In fact, these people often come to me after seeing a long string of doctors and functional medicine practitioners with few long-term results.

So far, every one of them who remained open-minded and allowed me to guide them to health has been very grateful for it. I don’t discourage veganism or vegetarianism. I simply suggest using these approaches when they are ideal, and only for as long as that is the case.

I have worked with many professional sports teams, and have served as a therapist and coach to a long list of the world’s greatest athletes, not to mention countless thousands of patients. Each step of the way, I pioneered the approaches I was offering personally, and have done my very best to lead by example.

What becomes obvious to professionals with as much experience as Bill and me, or anyone with an open mind who has been paying attention to the diet craze over time, are these truths:

There is no optimal diet for everyone!

There is no optimal diet for anyone for any period of time, which may be as short as one meal depending on stress factors and environmental influences. (I have found metabolic types can change from meal to meal and that there is no replacement for constant communication with, and careful observation of, one’s body-mind for essential guidance!)

A diet that “cures” you may eventually harm you if you don’t pay attention to what your body-mind is telling you. One man’s cure is another man’s disease! Diet dogma is very dangerous.

Diet quality is more important than diet quantity.

Bill has also been faced with the paradox that people — even those in severe need of diet change — just want to read a recipe card, instead of actively engaging themselves and using metabolic typing as the dynamic system it’s designed to be.

For a variety of reasons, Western culture is largely one of children in adult bodies who have been taught “what to think,” not how to think. The result is a sea of people responding to what they’re told by experts or people in positions of authority (think practitioners of conventional medicine) to follow their “recipes” without paying attention to the actual results.

Fact is, long-term well-being is an adult process that can only be taught by adults either to open-minded children, or open-minded adults. Sadly, such people are the minority in most cultures of the world today, and we have skyrocketing rates of obesity, diabetes and heart disease among a long list of chronic diseases to show for all of this “expert advice.”

I became a father to a healthy, beautiful boy (Mana) two years ago, and I’ll turn 56 years in August. I’m still strong enough to do multiple single-arm chin-ups, and can deadlift 405 for as many as 10 repetitions a set. I can still sprint, jump, climb and play.

Often, I can out-perform professional athletes from a variety of sports in the gym, and none of them have ever been able to lift stones as big as I can, even when they can out-lift me in the gym.

My mind is still strong, my intuition clear and my work productivity high. I also know from my many conversations with Bill Wolcott, who is several years my senior, that he is still very athletic and active in tennis.

I am in total agreement with Bill Wolcott’s comments about the Ketogenic diet being just another diet fad in a long, long series of them. It is my dream (I’m confident it is Bill’s too) that each individual engage himself/herself fully and free themselves of self-limiting programming, obedience to perceived authority figures and quick fixes.

Part of being an adult is coming to the realization that there are no short cuts to doing the work of living well. The use of gadgets and props only distracts people from a relationship with their own body-mind. Without them, unfortunately, people are like computers without power.

There is no more important a spiritual practice than loving and caring for yourself effectively, and engaging life fully. When we carefully and honestly consider that we can’t give what we don’t have, then doing the work of learning about, loving and managing ourselves becomes our essential work in the world.

It is the very work we need the children of today to emulate, or they will become slaves to gadgets, and get further and further away from the earth, the dangers of which are monumental and paramount today!''

Source:
https://chekinstitute.com/blog/ketogeni ... e-sheeple/

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 7:08 am

Like I said many times, there is legit science in this field, overall this approach is great. Reasoning and references to all the research are very convincing, that's the catch, despite all the claims "metabolic typing (R)" systems and protocols have nothing to do with this science and this reasoning. There is no research linking actual scientific data and these systems and protocols, there is no scientific evidence of this stuff actually working. this is what "pseudoscientific" means. "metabolic typing" doesn't provide any better outcome than just randomly picking any "type" and following given recommendations, in my personal opinion chek institute is just another fitness MLM scam..

Deep Heat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2021, 10:33 am

Published by School of Nutrition and Health Sciences

Done by a respectable person with a PHD of 20 years from the school of nutrition and health sciences at taipei medical university.

''The objective of this study was to analyze whether the Metabolic Typing® test can be a guide for diet recommendations and also to evaluate the effects on weight loss in these subjects.''

'In conclusion, it is recommended that individualized diets and nutrients as determined by the Metabolic Typing® test can be used to efficiently carry out weight management.''

Source:

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... pingR_test

Look up the works of Roger John Williams an American biochemist about his work on biochemical individuality. This is another key component to metabolic typing I think you may have over looked. I believe individualised nutrition with metabolic typing and biochemical individuality protocols, give a better starting point than picking a diet at random. Are you aware of lies that are perpetuated by the mainstream, that lead people to make poor food choices? Have you seen the vast array of low-fat products on the food market. Did nature make a mistake in the ratios it naturally provides in whole food?

Here's a diagram explanation http://downloads.ppssuccess.com.s3.amaz ... _large.jpg

I'm not sure picking a random diet with no forethought will lead to a good outcome. Like I have alluded to in my veganism thread. Most diets are just rigid recommendations of macronutrient levels or complete elimination of whole food groups, with no suggestion as to the quality of the food, as long as the recommendations are adhered to. The primal pattern diet typing cuts all this BS out. And gives people a dynamic place to start with in the first place. Here's what happens when people follow mainstream scientifically backed nutrition/diet advice without question.

''nutritionists and dietitians, worldwide, prescribe meal plans based on percentages of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. Though there are thousands of diet books and millions of people following such advice, we are the most obese, unhealthy people ever, and childhood obesity in the United States is an epidemic! Did you know obesity is America’s costliest disease? Right now (in 2010), “1 in 3 adults and 1 in 5 children struggle with obesity. Taxpayers, governments and businesses spend billions on obesity-related conditions each year, including an estimated $147 billion in medical costs” (Campaign to End Obesity, 2010).v

What is Wrong?

In a nutshell, what is wrong is that we lack clear understanding of how to eat whole food and this includes an understanding of what protein, fat and carbohydrate ratios are! In most of our education we are taught very confusing information. Just look at what happened just a couple of decades ago during the 1980’s when the “experts” (funded by corporations) told us to “eat lots of carbs.” Now that advice of the eighties is largely responsible for the sugar/fructose/starch carb addicted population of today! Now they are promoting calorie counting. You see it promoted in fast food restaurants and it is even part of the Health Care Reform Bill that will affect thousands of restaurants and will be hard for uneducated, ill-informed consumers to ignore.vi If you’ve understood what I’ve shared so far, you should be able to immediately grasp one key aspect of what has gone wrong with mainstream nutritional and medical thinking. Understanding protein/fat/carbohydrate ratios are important from a biological perspective when we are discussing Primal Pattern® Diets. Carbohydrates are the most common source of energy in living organisms. Proteins and fat are necessary building components for body tissue and cells, and are also sources of energy for most organisms. Let’s look at another commonly overlooked aspect that is relevant to Primal Pattern® dieting and how the source of our food grown in healthy soil contributes to human vitality or human disease.''

Source:
Primal pattern diet typing
https://chekinstitute.com/wp-content/up ... g_2014.pdf

Supportive evidence:
How the sugar industry manipulates science papers to promote false claims.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+the ... e&ie=UTF-8

The Influence of Industry Sponsorship on the Research Agenda: A Scoping Review
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6187765/

“Big Food” Is Making America Sick
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5020160/

Chemical Pesticides and Human Health: The Urgent Need for a New Concept in Agriculture
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4947579/

Deep Heat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2021, 10:36 am

In your personal opinion badRobot do Gabby Reece and Ben Greenfield run MLM fitness scams as well, because they have either hired Paul Chek before or have been good friends with him for many years and are linked to the chekinstitute. Or are they victims of the fraudulent health scams of the chekinstitute?

I've never heard of the concept of MLM fitness scams before. Have you ever been a victim of one yourself? Can you provide a link to give me an example please? I would be interested to know your thoughts?

Gabrielle Reece
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrielle_Reece

''I have known my guest today for 18 years and have used Paul Chek as a personal resource for training and health guidance. Founder of the Chek institute, author, teacher, podcast host, Dad, husband and Shamin. Paul shares his most complex teachings in a simple discussion around "the last four doctors you'll ever need to know." This is a man who has had a tough and winding journey and I am so happy to share a slice of it with you. Paul's ability to synthesize complex ideas for our application is second to none. He shares perspective on movement, nutrition, spirituality, purpose, and we even get into what it is like for him to parent a second time around. Paul is a true pioneer. Enjoy

Source:

https://thegabbyreeceshow.libsyn.com/pa ... -parenting

Ben Greenfield
https://everipedia.org/wiki/lang_en/ben-greenfield

'' I'm interviewing my friend, Paul Chek, today on the show. Paul has been a multiple-time podcast guest on my show. I visited him at his new house in San Diego, which is sick. He has a really cool setup there, super clean energy. Paul is absolutely brilliant, one of the most well-read and eccentric/intelligent guys that I have ever spoken to. He's an OG in the fitness industry. His book “Eat, Move and Be Healthy!” was actually one of the first fitness and health books I ever read in my life I think when I was 15 or 16 years old. ''

Source:
https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/transc ... ogeometry/

Ben greenfield credentials:
* Bachelor’s and master’s degrees from University of Idaho in sports science and exercise physiology
* Personal training and strength and conditioning certifications from the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
* Sports nutrition certification from the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN)
* Advanced bicycle fitting certification from Serotta, the “Harvard” of bicycle fitting schools
* Spartan SGX coaching certification Over 20 years experience in coaching professional, collegiate, and recreational athletes from all sports

Source:
https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/ben-greenfield/

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 12:21 pm

Again, a lot of completely irrelevant information. ZERO real scientific evidence. I don't care about celebrity endorsements and numerous certifications by the same organizations STILL to this day responsible for promoting and selling pure sugar/maltodextrin as recommended sports nutrition.

Show me some randomized double blind placebo-controlled studies of systems and protocols this guy claims helped HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS people over several DECADES, then we will have something to discuss. Something more than 34 people lost more weight while being on a diet compared to no intervention at all.

My personal opinion still is that chek institute is just another fitness MLM scam.

Deep Heat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2021, 6:33 am

The people I mentioned including Paul Chek actively stand against sugary laden sports drinks with sugar/maltodextrin as recommended sports nutrition drinks. In fact, I've learnt from Paul Chek himself that water with a little added honey and a high-quality sea salt are just as effective as commercial sports drinks without the additives and nasty things like sugar/maltodextrin like you mentioned. All the people I have mentioned are ex athletes themselves and are highly respected in the health industry and are not advertisement marketing con artists like you think they are. How an earth have you arrived at this hypothetical conclusion?

How have you come to the conclusion from the quote from https://chekinstitute.com/wp-content/up ... g_2014.pdf that Paul Chek is actively endorsing these nasty sports drinks. It states the exact opposite, does it not? Or have I misinterpreted your statement here? You seem to be against nasty artificial sugary sports drinks. So are these people.

Ben Greenfields company and Gabby Reece's' and Laird Hamiltons XPT (Extreme Performance Training ) are completely different companies separate from the chekinstitute. They are all promoting healthy living. Why do you think they are not? Please explain?

Their company XPT was developed with the help of fitness professionals PJ Nestler, Mark Roberts, Dr. Kelly Starrett, Patrick McKeown, and Dr. Andy Galpin.

During the development phase of XPT Water (10 + years), Laird and Gabby opened their training grounds three days a week to friends and colleagues to create, test, explore, and fine tune the diverse offerings of XPT Water.

The Squad:

-Pro Athletes (Kevin Durant, Joakim Noah, Aaron Rogers, Paul George, Karl Anthony Towns, Bill Romanowski, Danny Cipriani, Kerri Walsh Jennings, Victoria Azarenka, Kelly Slater, Clay Hensley, Blake Griffen)
-Musicians (Kenny Chesney, Mike D, Rick Rubin, Sheryl Crow)
-Actors (Orlando Bloom, Josh Brolin, John McGinley, Will Smith)
-Corporate Executives (Hutch Parker, Blake Mycoski, Randall Wallace, Kelly Meyer)
Performance Coaches/Health Influencers/P.T’s/Dr.’s (Erik Kortland USTA Youth Development, Kenny Kane, Darin Olien, Brian Mackenzie, Ben Greenfield, Tim Ferris, Dr Justin Majer, Dr. Ellatrache, Adam Friedman, Neil Strauss).
-Elite Military – Special Ops, Seals
and of course the rest of their tribe who show up with a smile and get it done!

Dr Kelly Starrett Doctor of Physical Therapy, Samuel Merritt University, 2007 and have included Olympic gold-medalists, Tour de France cyclists, world and national record-holding Olympic Lifting and Power athletes, Crossfit Games medalists, ballet dancers, military personnel, and competitive age-division athletes.

Kevin Durant, Joakim Noah are proffesional basketball players in the NBA.

Supportive evidence
Joakim Noah Trains With Surf Legend Laird Hamilton
https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitn ... -hamilton/

All of Paul Cheks podcast sponsors are high quality products that he personally uses himself. He doesn't endorse and promote crap for the soul peurpose of making money. One is Paleovalley who is co owned by Autumn Smith, who is a wonderful woman who has a master degree in holistic nutrition, who's mission statement is to create products that prioritise health rather than focus on profit.

Source evidence:

https://chekinstitute.com/podcast/

https://paleovalley.com/about

Paul Check has studied with experts worldwide from many disciplines including advanced training with Vladimir Janda and Karel Lewit at the Charles Hospital in Prague.

Karel Lewit was a neurologist and world authority in myoskeletal medicine. He was a pioneer of modern diagnostics and reflex therapy of musculoskeletal disorders in Czechoslovakia, and the world.
https://nydnrehab.com/treatment-methods ... rel-lewit/

Vladimir Janda was an ccomplished neurologist, he founded the rehabilitation department at Charles University Hospital in Prague, Czechoslovakia. He was one of the seminal members of the Prague school of manual medicine and rehabilitation that expanded its influence throughout Central and Eastern Europe. His observations regarding muscle imbalances, faulty posture and gait, and their association with chronic pain syndromes, etiologically, diagnostically, and therapeutically, influenced the rehabilitation world.
Vladimir Janda, MD, DSc: tribute to a master of rehabilitation

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16641785/

It's through having mentors and advanced training from people like this that has given Paul the knowledge and training to work with and help rehabilitate world class extreme sports athletes like skateboarder Danny Way and Motocross legend Robbie Madison. This is why he is arguably one of the best in rehabilitation and exercise kinesiology in the world.
https://www.paulcheksblog.com/am-i-read ... ise-today/

The proof is in the pudding. The true success, or effectiveness of something can only be determined by implementing it in the real world. This has been demonstrated many times in the real world by Paul Chek, Gabby Reece and Laird Hamiltons (XPT). Do you have any supportive evidence to your hypothetical theory that these legends promote MLM fitness scams?

Deep Heat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2021, 6:34 am

Could you post some links to the real science of metabolic typing that you talk about? I'm interested to develop my learning on the subject. I find the subject fascinating. Thank you.