Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 2:36 pm

I believe that some types of halitosis can be contagious. I worked at a job where a marketing representative would just show up every once in awhile rather than calling to make an appointment. While he was a nice person, he always had very bad breath. I'm sensitive to smells so meeting with him was unpleasant for that reason.

I don't believe I'm imagining, but some days after his visits I believe my breath started to smell similarly. I would then gargle with peroxide for a few days and my breath would be back to normal. I imagine that on a microscopic level, whatever bacteria was causing his halitosis would be sent airborne and I would inadvertently breathe it in where it would propagate in my mouth/throat. He retired and I don't work at that location anymore and have not had the problem since then.

I should add that I'm meticulous about my mouth hygiene with routine morning and evening flossing or more often as needed, tooth brushing at least twice per day, occasionally gargle with peroxide, occasional tongue scraper and routine dental appointments and being nearly fifty years old, I only have one filling. My wife would definitely not be shy about telling me if I had bad breath.

As Miss Anne Elk (Monty Python) would say, "That is my theory which is mine"......