I am tired of people pushing low carb/keto type diets

Page 2 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 12:01 am

giving up gluten/gliadin seems to so far be working for me.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 1:11 am

PlanarFracture wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
That's actually not the case, it will depend on what source of carbohydrates we are talking about. Your body will expend a lot less energy digesting say, a fried egg, compared to brown rice.

Also, if someone wanted to lose weight, you would actually want foods that require more energy to digest. This is why protein and fiber are beneficial for weight loss, because they are thermogenic foods.

I see your point, but will it be the same result for two foods of these different categories eaten in identical quantities? You've got to admit the Atkins diet or a complete avoidance of any and all carbs is very extreme.

I don't know if I would say it's extreme. I'd say it's a very specific way to eat, which I why generally don't like recommending it, unless people are certain they have an easier time maintaining a calorie deficit with it.

It's important to say though, that a low fat diet is equally extreme, and argueably less healthy than a low carb diet. Your body cannot function without fat, because fat is an essential macro nutrient.

I prefer a balanced distribution between my macro nutrient though, so something like: moderate protein, moderate fat, moderate carbohydrate(and moderate fiber).

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 1:15 am

starkid wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
Diets don't work. Or they only work a short time only for you to gain everything back the second you eat like a normal person. But there will always be people dumb and desperate enough to try anything.

"Diet" just means eating to lose weight. Diets are not the same thing as weight maintenance, so failing to maintain one's new lower weight after a diet (after losing weight) does not mean that the diet didn't work. That's like saying that surgery doesn't work just because patients don't take care of themselves after the surgery.

Please stop spreading this lie. I've seen so many people say this online. It's flat out wrong. Overeating/gaining weight after a diet is over is not a problem with diets (particularly since some people, such as athletes, deliberately gain weight after a diet. It clearly makes no sense to say that their diets "didn't work" just because they re-gained weight, and the same applies other people).

Dieting doesn't mean staying the same weight forever no matter what you do; it's a temporary thing. Weight maintenance is the long-term analog.

Also for someone who loses alot of weight(say 100lbs+), their basal metabolic rate will now be far lower than it was to begin with. So if this person goes back to eating the same amount of calories they will gain weight.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 1:33 am

Sometimes I think the low carb diet is used by people who don't want to eat less. Carbs or no carbs you can't eat as much as you want and expect to lose weight. Some people can't accept that so they pretend they can lose weight by eating 3,000 calories per day or more so long as it's all meat and eggs.

Meanwhile in China people are eating a mostly rice and noodles based diet yet most of them don't get fat not due to the type of food they eat but due to the quantity of food they eat (enough to be healthy, not enough to be fat).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 1:47 am

a question- what are the Chinese doing right in order to avoid outright hunger? or what is America doing WRONG to be so chronically hungry?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 2:00 am

auntblabby wrote:
a question- what are the Chinese doing right in order to avoid outright hunger? or what is America doing WRONG to be so chronically hungry?

I'm sure there are lots of hungry people in China, far more than there are in the United States. If you mean "how can Chinese people eat a typical Chinese diet without feeling hungry," well I'd ask why you'd expect them to be hungry aside from insufficient caloric intake. I'm sure they've been eating a rice-based diet for centuries and are well-adapted to it.

The Standard American Diet is full of processed food, is low on fiber and nutrients from vegetables, and is full of sugar (which causes blood sugar crashes that can cause cravings). The "hunger" may simply be caused by the lack of a sense of fullness, cravings unrelated to caloric needs, and undernourishment.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 3:00 am

auntblabby wrote:

Maybe they just ignore it. Like us they eat three meals per day but, having spoken to some middle class Chinese people they don't have as many snacks as us westerners, not because they can't afford snacks but because they don't have much time for snacking.

There's a lot of pressure to be thin in China so if some of them get overweight you can bet they go on crash diet. I've seen for myself Chinese parents encouraging their kids to go on crash diets. That could be another reason why there are less fat Chinese people.

Their idea of a healthy weight is lower than ours. By western standards some Chinese people would be underweight but they actually have more petite bodies so that might be a healthy weight for them. They may have an underweight BMI but you can't always accurately measure if someone is overweight or underweight just based on BMI without taking their build into account.

As for what is America doing wrong to be so chronically hungry, I think the answer is they're designing food to be addictive so that you crave more and more of it, even after you're full.

I'm not anti-corporate, my favourite products are made by corporations and market competition can lead to higher quality products. But I hate when corporations abandon competing to make the best product and start competing to create an artificial demand for something people don't need.

Traditional Chinese food is not addictive but of course, traditional food from any country is not addictive. Selling addictive food is a recent invention and it's killing people.

Also the Chinese drink tea with no milk and no sugar. Tea is a zero calorie drink for them. I honestly think that westerners absorbe a significant fraction of their calories through their beverages. Your typical salary man might eat a healthy 2,000 calories but if he also drinks 5 cappicinos at 200 calories each, now he's up to 3,000 calories.

I think in a way it's easier to go over your healthy amount of calories with beverages rather than food, partly because there's less feeling of fullness with drinks. Even after people are too full to eat any more, they can still drink a high calorie beverage.

While the Chinese drink their tea us westerners have drinks like this.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 3:10 am

having grown up with a father who carbed himself to death, I am inoculated from consuming such stuff. it is not that I avoid carbs but I do avoid REFINED carbs [anything white like white potatoes, white corn, white rice, sugar, flour, grits, starchy stuff]. it beats the burlap outta havin' to poke meself with a needle several times a day.

Pericles
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2018, 4:35 am

A pretty good guide to what level of carbs we are adapted to eat can be gained from looking at hunter-gatherers and (to the extent that we can discern) from the human fossil record.

Tho it varied from age to age & location to location, both suggest that in general we ate a fair amount of animal protein, a decent amount of leaves and tubers, nuts when we could find them, and the more fibrous & less sweet ancestors of modern fruit.

High amounts of 'carbs' in the sense of processed grains did not occur, tho most tribes processed small amounts of wild grains.

So if you call that 'low carb' (which it is by modern standards) then I'm afraid 'low carb' is, generally speaking, the natural human diet. Tho personally I call it 'moderate carb'.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 6:04 am

Eat what you want and savour, then you will be happy. It's all a scam to block human happiness.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 6:50 am

Tell that to anutblabby's dad. Eating what he wanted didn't bring him happiness.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 6:59 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Tell that to anutblabby's dad. Eating what he wanted didn't bring him happiness.

Not solely, it is an element. If you are allowed self-control and personal sovereignty, it's easy.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 2:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I do avoid REFINED carbs [anything white like white potatoes, white corn

Corn and potatoes are not refined.

PlanarFracture
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Mar 2018, 4:34 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
I prefer a balanced distribution between my macro nutrient though, so something like: moderate protein, moderate fat, moderate carbohydrate(and moderate fiber).

Yes, that's quite true. I've read that brain function can be seriously impaired without enough fat in one's diet to boot; in this light as a vegan I grind flaxseed/linseed for it's Omega 3, but do 'cheat' with some other essentials in tablet form!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 12:05 am

starkid wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I do avoid REFINED carbs [anything white like white potatoes, white corn

but they are moderately high glycemic index, so portions should be strictly limited, and they should not be eaten at every meal.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 12:34 am

auntblabby wrote:
Quote:

but they are moderately high glycemic index, so portions should be strictly limited, and they should not be eaten at every meal.

I find that idea strange. I am hypoglycemic, I eat high carb meals like this literally every day, have done so for years, and I don't have problems with my blood sugar. And I don't have extra protein with my meals either. What sort of people should avoid these?