Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 3:40 pm

I am slightly overwhelmed by the shear amount of different opinions on what constitutes decent exercise. I am a mum of young kids and have very limited time to myself. Currently this is what I do:

30min biking 5 times a day at moderate intensity

On top of that I rush about a lot, walk whenever I get a chance and lift weights sporadically when I remember.

What could I do to improve my fitness regimen? I have a bmi of 19.7 so I am not overweight, just want to get into a good state of fitness for overall health.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 3:59 pm

your BMI is excellent but of more concern is your overall core muscle tone which is most important to avoid injury when you exercise. I would, if I were you, do just enough exercise to break a sweat and elevate your heart rate and respiration, to the point where you can't easily talk, keep that up for a half-hour which, on average, is the amount of time your body needs to exceed its ready glucose supply and start burning fat, which you haven't got anyways but it will help to keep the fat away nonetheless. "train but DON'T strain." push-ups are a good basic exercise, military type, full-body, it will help strengthen your core especially if you combine it with a plank sustain exercise. do planks in all directions, left/right/forward/backwards, to further strengthen your core. if you have space constraints, a good exercise is combining a push-up with a squat-thrust and a jumping jack. do that solid for 10 minutes and you'll be dripping sweat. on your bike, do intervals of full-out pedaling, max intensity, for one minute, then cruise for 3 minutes, then full-out again for one minute, then cruise for 3, repeat for the full half-hour. alternatively, climb hills on your bike, go down the hill, then climb the hill again, repeatedly, for the half-hour. oh, and AVOID REFINED SUGARS. no wheat, flour, rye, barley, oats, sugar in any form.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 4:37 pm

If I had to choose minimal essential set, I would say you need two:

Burpees. It covers full body. And I would do it HIIT way, just like auntblabby described: max intensity 30-40 seconds and 3-4 minutes resting. 3-4 rounds total.

Full-body resistance training exercise like deadlifts once or twice a week, like 3 rounds of 6-8 repetitions increasing weight for each round. This will take care of your bones and muscles.

I would say you would be fully covered health wise with these two.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 5:47 pm

Thank you both heaps, I am so glad I asked.... your advice is actually really different from what I do which is just really even paced the whole time. Going to enjoy trying this out tomorrow.

I avoid all gluten but eat gluten free oats occasionally, are they no good? I only eat sugar when I succumb to dark chocolate but I do eat honey and date syrup occasionally. My main foods are fruit, vegetables and nuts. Should I try and eat more protein I wonder? I really don't like the taste of meat so it would have to be more fish or lentils. I eat lots of quinoa. I am finding I am a lot hungrier since I started exercising.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 5:51 pm

elsapelsa wrote:
Thank you both heaps, I am so glad I asked.... your advice is actually really different from what I do which is just really even paced the whole time. Going to enjoy trying this out tomorrow. I avoid all gluten but eat gluten free oats occasionally, are they no good? I only eat sugar when I succumb to dark chocolate but I do eat honey and date syrup occasionally. My main foods are fruit, vegetables and nuts. Should I try and eat more protein I wonder? I really don't like the taste of meat so it would have to be more fish or lentils. I eat lots of quinoa. I am finding I am a lot hungrier since I started exercising.

prego :) oats contain a relative of gluten called gliadin which should also be avoided. honey and date syrup should be strictly limited, your total carbs should be limited to 30 grams/day. eat a lot more veggies, nuts be careful with because a lot of 'em contain phytic acid which inhibits metabolism of vitamins. carrots also contain phytic acid. :o as ben franklin or somebody said, "all things in moderation, 'cept for moderation." eat more seafood, within limits. avoid fruit juices like the plague.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 6:08 pm

Ok thanks. Yes, we have no fruit juice here... but I do eat a lot of carrots and cashews so that is interesting about physics acid. My main food intake is vegetables. My main crutch is 1-2 cups of coffee with milk. I am not sure dairy or coffee are great for me. I tried replacing it with fresh matcha but it just made me feel quite wired!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 6:14 pm

^^^both in moderation, you have the right idea :idea:

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 5:59 am

"lagom" in swedish, moderation and patience were my grandmother's mottos and she lived a very simple but wise and considered life. TY for all your help!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 6:16 am

elsapelsa wrote:
I am slightly overwhelmed by the shear amount of different opinions on what constitutes decent exercise. I am a mum of young kids and have very limited time to myself. Currently this is what I do:

30min biking 5 times a day at moderate intensity

On top of that I rush about a lot, walk whenever I get a chance and lift weights sporadically when I remember.

What could I do to improve my fitness regimen? I have a bmi of 19.7 so I am not overweight, just want to get into a good state of fitness for overall health.

I think the 30 minutes of biking 5 times per day is excessive unless you are training for a cycling competitions. When I'm taking it easy and my focus is just general wellness, I will do a 2.5-3.5 mile walk 5-7 days per week at about 3.5mph which would be around 3.7mph for most other people.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 7:40 am

It's never enough.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 3:33 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
It's never enough.

Is anything?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Mar 2018, 7:27 pm

elsapelsa wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
It's never enough.

Is anything?
Enough is never enough
:arrow: Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #97

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 1:45 pm

My legs hurt so much. :cry:

I did the intervals on the bike (1 min all out pedalling, 3 min moderate intensity) for 30 min and the burpes and now I had to have a day off. I'll try again tomorow. Gambare masu!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 4:49 pm

elsapelsa wrote:

I did the intervals on the bike (1 min all out pedalling, 3 min moderate intensity) for 30 min and the burpes and now I had to have a day off. I'll try again tomorow. Gambare masu!

train but DON'T strain. :o slow and steady will get you there. injuries slow down the trip to there, however, so please avoid them.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 1:11 am

auntblabby wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:

train but DON'T strain. :o slow and steady will get you there. injuries slow down the trip to there, however, so please avoid them.

Yeah, i always skip the fine print. legs fine again today. Perhaps I will do one day on/ one day off until I build up some more stamina.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 1:29 am

^^^^excellent idea for the foreseeable future. :wtg: