Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 6:27 pm

Site Link

Sometime this spring, the company in the link above is going to release a device that you can wear like a wrist watch. It will track the calories you burn, the distance you travel, and the sleep you get. It's a self tracker's dream come true.

Has anyone here used a fit it product before? It would be great to know someone's experience with it before I go spending my money on one.

vixx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 May 2013, 2:30 am

no experience, but i've actually been thinking about getting a jawbone up

same idea, just appeals to me more for some reason

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 1:26 pm

I had a look at Jawbone Up, you might want to check the amazon reviews, a lot of complaints came up about it not working after a few weeks.

I just realized that neither product will automatically sense when you're asleep and log it, you have to manually let the devices know when you're going to sleep. That seems kind of pointless, you have to be awake to let it know you're asleep. Although if it can keep track of calories burned, that alone would make it worthwhile.

vixx

05 May 2013, 5:44 pm

yeah, i heard.. buggy ios apps and all. I think it might have improved with later releases, but i'm not sure. i do fine without. I read a few fitbit reviews and people seem attached to it, hah.

I use mapmyrun for tracking distances traveled on foot when i want to.. i dont feel the need to know how many steps i took. just how many miles. and I usually take the same walks or figure out how long a walk is going to be before i walk it, so having a device to track that seems not so important. maybe if i were more OCD. :wink:

that is silly about the sleep thing.. that was the coolest part to me. i've not always had the best sleep and a sleep tracker would be a nice data source for me to see what works for me and how to get better sleep.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2018, 9:56 pm

Can anyone recommend to me a good sleep tracking device? Or has anyone tried any of those mentioned above and found them good or not so good?

I haven't much money but I'd like to get a sleep tracker of some type..

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 10:14 pm

Last time I was looking at sleep trackers a couple of years ago, this youtuber was doing reviews of several, he wore them all on his arm at the same time and got different data on each one. I am not sure how accurate they really are.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2018, 1:06 am

Noca wrote:
I am not sure how accurate they really are.

Yes, that's what I've been thinking as well.. :(

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 4:26 am

I love my Fitbit.
It might not be too accurate but that doesn't matter for me, I don't worry too much about the exact numbers. I use it to see if I'm slipping from my sleep and exercise goals over periods of several days, so I can schedule in a nap or a bike ride before the lack starts affecting my mood.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 8:48 pm

I use a Fitbit too and have for a few years. The detailed sleep tracking is linked to your heart rate. If the device is picking up your heart rate well it will show how much time you spend in deep sleep, REM sleep or restless/awake. It gives a graphic of you cycling through the stages. If it doesn’t get a good reading of your heart it will just show amount of time awake and asleep. Also if you sit still too long it thinks you are asleep. I have a very weak pulse and I often don’t get the detailed stats. Nonetheless I really like it and at minimum it gives a good view of how long I sleep. There is a new waterproof one coming out and I think I will get one.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 9:14 pm

I bought my granddaughter a Fitbit Alta HR for Christmas. It monitors sleep cycles and can show you transitions between the different sleep cycles over the night. It shows whenever she wakes up in the middle of the night. She is well pleased with it.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 4:47 am

They can pick up melt-downs, too - because of the way your heartbeat peaks (...around the time when you're punching the wall...)
One day, when I have time, I'm going to look through the heart-rate record and see if it picks up a more subtle earlier change, that I could use to predict a melt-down in advance.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 10:14 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
They can pick up melt-downs, too - because of the way your heartbeat peaks (...around the time when you're punching the wall...)
One day, when I have time, I'm going to look through the heart-rate record and see if it picks up a more subtle earlier change, that I could use to predict a melt-down in advance.

Wow! Good point.