New Years Health/Fitness Resolutions

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2019, 4:36 am

leahbear wrote:
I’m happy with my diet and weight. I’ve been on an anti-inflammatory diet for a couple of years to control my chronic conditions and it seems to keep my mind and body healthy. I’ve been working on my mind body connection recently and my next big health goal is to improve my interoception. I just bought a book on it and the author says that it can be improved with practice.

I'd be interested to know what you eat on the anti-inflammatory diet?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2019, 4:52 am

MrsPeel wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
I'm going to try intermittent fasting - only eating after midday - to see if I can shift some of the blubber.
Anyone tried that?

i've been on the "6 hour diet" for about a year now. it works, one first has to get used to feeling lightheaded and HUNGRY!! ! for the first few months. took me that long to get my body into ketosis. combine that with low-carb and you have something that will keep the fat off.

Oh... I was hoping the diet would melt off the fat in a month or so and I could then go back to eating breakfast. Not sure I'll be able to handle the light-headed feeling when I'm back at work. I suppose it's wishful thinking to expect such quick results. Did you exercise as well? I wonder if exercise in the morning would help the shift to ketosis?

sorry, i should have offered more information, i was a bit too brief. best to start the diet when one is on like a 2-week vacation from work, and to do it in stages, i started with 12 hour fasts, then gradually over the course of a year expanded it to 18 hour fasts, daily, cramming all my eatin' into a 6 hour window, you might just call this the "skip breakfast [and midnight snack] diet. :D and yes, moderate exercise is an important part of it, i walk fast up and down some steep hills in my neighborhood, walk like you're late for a meeting, "powerwalk." do the walk within an hour or so of waking, the body in its fasting mode will be forced into ketosis, burning more fat when you exercise vigorously. be sure to drink PLENTY of COLD WATER also, to keep those kidneys flushed out as extended regular ketosis is hard on the kidneys [what my doc told me]. the way you could do it is [in place of breakfast] to just drink "bulletproof keto coffee" mixed with butter/coconut oil/ [Medium Chain Triglyceride oil which the body can burn for quick energy] for breakfast and brunch. it is surprisingly good. eat lunch at your normal time, work the rest of your workday, go home and eat supper, then just water until the next mid-day. the weight will melt off as it did me. i'm not a doctor so i'd recommend getting a head-to-toe checkup before starting any new dietary and exercise regimen. and to answer your second question, this diet [esp. with avoidance of refined carbs] is inherently anti-inflammatory, at least in my own experience with arthritis and hypertension. avoid white food- sugar, starch, gravy, pasta, white rice, white potatoes and corn. avoid wheat. eat plenty of greens, limit beans as they tend to inhibit vitamin metabolism above a small amount.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2019, 5:38 am

Good info, thanks.
I'm not at work until 13th so I might have got the hang of it by then and be able to continue.
I've still been drinking big cups of tea in the morning, mainly to satisfy that need to ingest something, and that seems to work pretty well, I think it keeps the metabolism ticking over.
Can't walk too much because of plantar fasciitis in my foot, I've had that for a year and really tired of it :( but I've been swimming a bit (very hot here! 8) )

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2019, 5:41 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Good info, thanks. I'm not at work until 13th so I might have got the hang of it by then and be able to continue. I've still been drinking big cups of tea in the morning, mainly to satisfy that need to ingest something, and that seems to work pretty well, I think it keeps the metabolism ticking over. Can't walk too much because of plantar fasciitis in my foot, I've had that for a year and really tired of it :( but I've been swimming a bit (very hot here! 8) )

beware of drinking lotsa tea in hot weather, tea contains oxalic acid and that is a leading contributor to kidney stones. red tea contains the lowest % of oxalic acid. swimming is excellent exercise, a mile of swimming = several miles of running. keep on swimming. forgot to mention that coconut oil is a great source of MCT.

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2019, 3:07 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
leahbear wrote:
I’m happy with my diet and weight. I’ve been on an anti-inflammatory diet for a couple of years to control my chronic conditions and it seems to keep my mind and body healthy. I’ve been working on my mind body connection recently and my next big health goal is to improve my interoception. I just bought a book on it and the author says that it can be improved with practice.

I'd be interested to know what you eat on the anti-inflammatory diet?

It’s always personal based on which foods cause inflammtion in your body. I have a bunch of conditions that flare up when my inflammation goes up so it was easy to find my inflammatory foods. I guess my diet is close to mediterranean (lots of fish/seafood, veggies, nuts/fats, all home cooked, no processed junk) and then I avoid some foods: gluten, cow dairy, too many carbs, industrially farmed meats, and limit others: sugar, high sugar fruits, nightshades, soy, corn.

I’ve been eating my meals within 10-12 hours most days and I dropped a few pounds, especially around my middle. My body seems happier this way and can happily go without food for longer periods now.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 11:28 am

I want to get in shape but am so tired.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 1:49 am

mee too. :|