Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 4:06 pm

So I was cleaning a bus at work today, when I found a full, unopened can of Dr Pepper under one of the seats when I was sweeping. It got bashed about a little but it wasn't leaking or anything, so I decided to rescue it. I didn't want a can of Dr Pepper going to waste, as I love Dr Pepper.
Before I opened the can, I wiped the top of it over with washing-up liquid and then rinsed it under the tap, and then I opened it and poured it into a glass because I didn't fancy my lips touching something that had been on the floor of a bus, no matter how thoroughly I washed it.

By the way, before you say it's 'stealing', it isn't. I showed it to my boss, he said nobody is really going to phone up and claim a can of Dr Pepper, and I asked him if it will be safe to drink. He said if there's no leakages or any holes at all, then it will be all right, as no poison or drugs could have got into it, and the bit at the top didn't look like it was tampered with. But as I'm drinking the glass of Dr Pepper, thoughts keep going through my head. What if somebody did inject poison into it without making a hole? I try to tell myself that it's impossible, but what if there's a tiny, tiny little hole, too tiny for liquid to come out of, and it was made from a tiny drug needle? Or can you make a hole with a drug needle that's too tiny to cause some sort of reaction in a tin can of cardonated drink? The can wasn't wet or sticky, it was in perfect condition like it would be if I had got it out of a store.

Do you think it is safe? I haven't gone blind yet...

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 4:08 pm

It's unsafe because the MANUFACTURER has poisoned it - with aspartame, dirt-cheap sugar and chemical additives. Soft drinks are not safe for anybody to drink, even when they've been bought from supermarkets.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 4:11 pm

It's as safe as any other manufactured beverage.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 4:16 pm

Yeah, but I didn't mean poison in that way. I meant drug-poisoned, or spiked, where if you consumed it you would be incredibly sick, high, blind, etc.

Please, alcohol is 'poison' too, as is tobacco. I don't consume those. Drinking cola products is the equivalent to e-cigarettes; not as harmful as alcohol but not good for you.

But if I listened to all this health stuff then I would just end up eating ice cubes for dinner every night.

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Jan 2019, 4:17 pm

It's definitely safe to drink. Not sure why someone was saying there's poison in sodas. A poison is a very specific thing. Sure it may not be healthy to drink in large quantities, but that's true of lot's of things. You could even die from drinking too much water.. :roll:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 4:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
It's as safe as any other manufactured beverage.

Yeah, I know that. The question I'm asking is, is it safe to drink a can of drink I found on the floor?

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 4:19 pm

I prefer alcohol and tobacco, although I'm not a heavy user of either, because they're at least NATURAL, although that's admittedly no guarantee of their being healthy in itself.

Obviously, your boss was right if you're willing to discount the above.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 4:24 pm

Yeah it's safe cos it's in a can. So long as the can wasn't tampered with beforehand and the washing up liquid didn't get into it.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 4:28 pm

I drink around six soft drinks per year. Rarely ever.

If it was regular Dr. Pepper and Joe90 is in the UK, then it would be made with sugar. Diet Dr. Pepper would be a different story.

Useless U.S. trivia:

Soft drinks as a general category (non product specific) are referred to differently depending on the region of the country:

It's "pop" in the Midwest.

"Would you like a "pop"?
"Sure."
"What kind would you like?"
"I'd like a Pepsi."

It's "soda" on the East Coast.

"Would you like a "soda"?
"Sure."
"I'd like a Pepsi."

It's "Coke" in the South (This one does NOT make sense to me):

"Would you like a "Coke"?
"Sure."
"I'd like a Pepsi."

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 4:34 pm

Magna wrote:

If it was regular Dr. Pepper and Joe90 is in the UK, then it would be made with sugar. Diet Dr. Pepper would be a different story.

Useless U.S. trivia:

Soft drinks as a general category (non product specific) are referred to differently depending on the region of the country:

"Would you like a "pop"?
"Sure."
"I'd like a Pepsi."

"Sure."
"I'd like a Pepsi."

"Sure."
"I'd like a Pepsi."

I live in the UK, and Dr Pepper has BOTH aspartame and sugar, here.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 5:23 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
Magna wrote:

Useless U.S. trivia:

"Would you like a "pop"?
"Sure."
"I'd like a Pepsi."

"Sure."
"I'd like a Pepsi."

"Sure."
"I'd like a Pepsi."

Yuck. I avoid anything with aspartame. When I was young you could still purchase chewing gum that was made with sugar. Now it all seems to be sweetened with aspartame.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 5:26 pm

Magna wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
Magna wrote:

Useless U.S. trivia:

"Would you like a "pop"?
"Sure."
"I'd like a Pepsi."

"Sure."
"I'd like a Pepsi."

"Sure."
"I'd like a Pepsi."

Yuck. I avoid anything with aspartame. When I was young you could still purchase chewing gum that was made with sugar. Now it all seems to be sweetened with aspartame.

Disgusting, horrible stuff and the reason why I don't chew gum anymore (or part of it). It's only been that way for a few years. I remember chewing proper chewing gum without disgusting aspartame when I was in school (only six years ago).

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2019, 9:17 pm

Joe90 wrote:
So I was cleaning a bus at work today, when I found a full, unopened can of Dr Pepper under one of the seats when I was sweeping. It got bashed about a little but it wasn't leaking or anything, so I decided to rescue it. I didn't want a can of Dr Pepper going to waste, as I love Dr Pepper.

Or can you make a hole with a drug needle that's too tiny to cause some sort of reaction in a tin can of cardonated drink? The can wasn't wet or sticky, it was in perfect condition like it would be if I had got it out of a store.

Do you think it is safe? I haven't gone blind yet...

If you found it under a toilet seat, rinsing it wouldn't have been enough.. you would have had to sterilize it, but I wouldn't have directly touched it, in case of a hyperdermic skin reaction. Someone would have had to be pretty loud to do as you suggested and thread something through tin.
Cleaning buses must be a great experience if you are fine processing individual germs, needless to say I am not a fan of bus travel.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 9:24 pm

I hope OP enjoyed her free soda pop and it quenched her thirst and gave her more energy. :chef:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 11:12 am

The Dr. Pepper is safe. It was unopened. It will probably be too warm to drink, though.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 12:12 pm

You are overthinking this.

When I was young, my mom gave her three young children peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We ate them but my younger brother put his down so that he could play. Later he came back and there were hundreds of ants crawling into his sandwich. He didn't notice this and ate his sandwich. Nothing bad happened to him.