Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 11:56 pm

Well I haven't smoked cigarettes in a few weeks, not a single one. I have had help however, I've been using a vaping device and no more smoking. I realize that is not totally safe either but from what i understand its less harmful than cigarettes so at least its a good step.

I am just amazed of not smoking any cigarettes, I had a vape mod device before which helped me cut down but I was still smoking cigarettes while using it...so this thing is even better. Its a pod device called the Smok Novo and works best with nicotine salt liquid...and well its stopped me smoking. I do still use the vape mod device, but now just for my dab box, which is a little device that lets you do cannabis dabs on a vape mod. Rather than breaking out the scary looking set up and using a torch to heat the chamber you put the dab in. Yes I live in a legal state.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 12:34 pm

Congrats. Wouldn't vaping make it easier to control the dose allowing you to slowly taper off?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 2:01 am

Noca wrote:
Congrats. Wouldn't vaping make it easier to control the dose allowing you to slowly taper off?

Yes it likely would. However I have been doing some research on vaping and from what I understand the main harm of nicotine comes from smoking it, nicotine itself isn't much worse than caffeine. So it may not be necessary to stop vaping but I understand it is easier to stop vaping than to stop smoking cigarettes. Probably because you can more easily lower the dosage and wean yourself off the nicotine.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 6:38 am

That's a good first step. Never start smoking again. Once you kick the cigs, stop the vaping.

I quit smoking cigarettes twenty years ago. I quit 'cold turkey'. The gum was around but that's it. I chose to ride it out. One of the best decisions ever. I can't imagine having emphysema.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Mar 2019, 9:50 am

The anti-vaping commercials give the impression that vaping leads to smoking & if that's true, it seems odd that vaping could also lead to quitting smoking. I'm not sure what to believe, the anti-vapers or the people who love vaping :scratch:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 3:17 pm

^
I used vaping to quit smoking. I've quit "cold turkey" two times before and started smoking again. With vaping, I naturally dropped the nicotine to 0 in cca 6 months and haven't touched an actual cigarette in years.

There's a shedload of money in and around smoking, and vaping is a strong competitor. I know a lot of people online and offline who quit (edit: quit smoking) using vaping and never looked back (also, my lungs look great these days, no more breathing issues or coughing, my full sense of taste returned etc.)

Last edited by BenderRodriguez on 13 Mar 2019, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 3:18 pm

nick007 wrote:
The anti-vaping commercials give the impression that vaping leads to smoking & if that's true, it seems odd that vaping could also lead to quitting smoking. I'm not sure what to believe, the anti-vapers or the people who love vaping :scratch:

People who never have smoked before trying vaping nicotine are more likely to start smoking than someone who hasn't vaped nicotine before. Usually stupid teens in particular.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 12:32 am

Noca wrote:
nick007 wrote:

People who never have smoked before trying vaping nicotine are more likely to start smoking than someone who hasn't vaped nicotine before. Usually stupid teens in particular.

But why would they want to smoke a gross cigarette after vaping? I mean vaping tastes better...I mean I would not condone either for teens, but I suppose I would rather see a teen vaping than a teen smoking.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 12:38 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
^
I used vaping to quit smoking. I've quit "cold turkey" two times before and started smoking again. With vaping, I naturally dropped the nicotine to 0 in cca 6 months and haven't touched an actual cigarette in years.

There's a shedload of money in and around smoking, and vaping is a strong competitor. I know a lot of people online and offline who quit (edit: quit smoking) using vaping and never looked back (also, my lungs look great these days, no more breathing issues or coughing, my full sense of taste returned etc.)

I did quit cold turkey one time, just decided I was going to stop smoking and didn't smoke. Though at the time I was being pretty irresponsible and was also doing other drugs....so at the time I ended up having a bad mushroom trip because I tried watching the pink floyd movie 'the wall' while under the influence of mushrooms at least parts of the movie kind of triggered it. Anyways I started smoking again straight away and after that was not able to just stop cold turkey again.

I have been vaping for like 5 years which helped me cut down cigarettes, but its really this newer 'salt nicotine' liquid in pod sort of devices that has finally helped me completely give up cigarettes. I realize I still have nicotine addiction but vaping it rather than smoking it is a lot safer.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 2:31 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I haven't smoked cigarettes in a few weeks, not a single one.

Congratulations , I think I read that after 2 weeks the physical addiction to nicotine leaves but the psychological addiction last longer.

Here is some more motivation for you

Quote:
Timeline of quitting smoking

Almost immediately after finishing a cigarette, the heart rate and blood pressure slowly return to normal.

The benefits are almost instant. As soon as a person stops smoking their body begins to recover in the following ways:

After 1 hour

In as little as 20 minutes after the last cigarette is smoked, the heart rate drops and returns to normal. Blood pressure begins to drop, and circulation may start to improve.

After 12 hours

Cigarettes contain a lot of known toxins including carbon monoxide, a gas present in cigarette smoke.

This gas can be harmful or fatal in high doses and prevents oxygen from entering the lungs and blood. When inhaled in large doses in a short time, suffocation can occur from lack of oxygen.

After just 12 hours without a cigarette, the body cleanses itself of the excess carbon monoxide from the cigarettes. The carbon monoxide level returns to normal, increasing the body's oxygen levels.

After 1 day

Just 1 day after quitting smoking, the risk of heart attack begins to decrease.

Smoking raises the risk of developing coronary heart disease by lowering good cholesterol, which makes heart-healthy exercise harder to do. Smoking also raises blood pressure and increases blood clots, increasing the risk of stroke.

In as little as 1 day after quitting smoking, a person's blood pressure begins to drop, decreasing the risk of heart disease from smoking-induced high blood pressure. In this short time, a person's oxygen levels will have risen, making physical activity and exercise easier to do, promoting heart-healthy habits.

After 2 days

Smoking damages the nerve endings responsible for the senses of smell and taste. In as little as 2 days after quitting, a person may notice a heightened sense of smell and more vivid tastes as these nerves heal.

After 3 days

3 days after quitting smoking, the nicotine levels in a person's body are depleted. While it is healthier to have no nicotine in the body, this initial depletion can cause nicotine withdrawal. Around 3 days after quitting, most people will experience moodiness and irritability, severe headaches, and cravings as the body readjusts.

After 1 month

In as little as 1 month, a person's lung function begins to improve. As the lungs heal and lung capacity improves, former smokers may notice less coughing and shortness of breath. Athletic endurance increases and former smokers may notice a renewed ability for cardiovascular activities, such as running and jumping.

After 1-3 months

For the next several months after quitting, circulation continues to improve.

After 9 months

Nine months after quitting, the lungs have significantly healed themselves. The delicate, hair-like structures inside the lungs known as cilia have recovered from the toll cigarette smoke took on them. These structures help push mucus out of the lungs and help fight infections.

Around this time, many former smokers notice a decrease in the frequency of lung infections because the healed cilia can do their job more easily.

After 1 year

The risk of heart disease will decrease by half after quitting smoking for 1 year, and arteries and blood vessels will begin to widen after 5 years.

One year after quitting smoking, a person's risk for coronary heart disease decreases by half. This risk will continue to drop past the 1-year mark.

After 5 years

Cigarettes contain many known toxins that cause the arteries and blood vessels to narrow. These same toxins also increase the likelihood of developing blood clots.

After 5 years without smoking, the body has healed itself enough for the arteries and blood vessels to begin to widen again. This widening means the blood is less likely to clot, lowering the risk of stroke.

The risk of stroke will continue to reduce over the next 10 years as the body heals more and more.

After 10 years

After 10 years, a person's chances of developing lung cancer and dying from it are roughly cut in half compared with someone who continues to smoke. The likelihood of developing mouth, throat, or pancreatic cancer has significantly reduced.

After 15 years

After 15 years of having quit smoking, the likelihood of developing coronary heart disease is the equivalent of a non-smoker. Similarly, the risk of developing pancreatic cancer has reduced to the same level as a non-smoker.

After 20 years

After 20 years, the risk of death from smoking-related causes, including both lung disease and cancer, drops to the level of a person who has never smoked in their life. Also, the risk of developing pancreatic cancer has reduced to that of someone who has never smoked.

Benefits

Smoking is a harmful habit that can lead to severe health complications and death. When a person quits smoking, the body will start to naturally heal and regain the vitality of a non-smoker over time.

Some effects, such as lowered blood pressure, are seen almost immediately. Other effects, such as risks of developing lung cancer, heart disease, and lung disease, take years to drop down to the levels of a non-smoker.

However, each year of not smoking decreases risks and improves overall health, making quitting smoking an excellent choice for anyone who started the habit.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 6:15 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
^

I have been vaping for like 5 years which helped me cut down cigarettes, but its really this newer 'salt nicotine' liquid in pod sort of devices that has finally helped me completely give up cigarettes. I realize I still have nicotine addiction but vaping it rather than smoking it is a lot safer.

You don't have to completely cut out nicotine if you don't want to. A close friend took up vaping same time I did and he's still using 9mg-6mg in his liquid but didn't touch an actual cigarette in 6 or 7 years. He got pretty much the same benefits I did, including taste recovering, no coughing, increased breathing capacity and his lungs look clean. And neither of us gained any weight in the process.

I keep vaping without nicotine because I enjoy it, makes the whole house smell awesome (lol), it's a great stim, I'm allowed to do it indoors in many places and I can join smokers outside at work (where somehow the most interesting discussions take place) without being tempted.

Either way, great work, cigarettes contain a lot of harmful ingredients that have nothing to do with nicotine.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 10:47 pm

I love that list, SaveFerris.

I have a friend who's vaping but it may have come too late for her, she's had tests and has now been diagnosed with COPD. She's only 30 and she has this disease. Her cough makes me wince. I hope that she keeps vaping though, and doesn't start smoking again.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 6:07 pm

Congratulations Sweetleaf.