What if I have early onset dementia?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 3:53 pm

I read that young people can get dementia, in rare but possible cases. I'm worried in case I'm getting it.

Lately I keep blurting out things I shouldn't, and I hardly ever used to do this. It's not that I'm unaware of people's feelings, it's just that I forget myself or forget who's in the room, and I say something that's best kept quiet, like "putting my foot in it" kind of thing.
And today I forgot to clock in at work, and this is the first time I've ever forgotten to clock in. I'm sure I did, but I can't have done, because my name wasn't signed.
And I keep losing interest in things quickly, like tasks and hobbies. My attention span has got even shorter than ever, and it's always been kind of short.

Have I got some sort of dementia, or could it be due to stress? I do have stress in my life. But I also worry about getting dementia early. I have 2 late grandparents who had Alzheimer's but they both got it in their 70s and died in their 80s, so they weren't young when they got it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 3:59 pm

Relax. All is fine. Is likely to be stress.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 6:24 pm

Most likely due to stress or occasional forgetfulness.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 6:45 pm

I blurt stuff out sometimes, too. It’s from anxiety. Pay attention to the next time you blurt something out. It often happens when I’m anxious or overwhelmed. Your loss of interest in things you enjoy could be signaling worsening depression so keep an eye on that.

A lot of us on the spectrum have ADHD which can make one pretty forgetful. It’s hard to remember stuff when we have trouble focusing.

I’ve worried about dementia at times, too, because my grandmother’s prolonged bout with Alzheimer’s was a traumatic thing for me to observe, but it’s not a rational thing to worry about because early-onset dementia, especially before one’s 50’s, is exceedingly rare.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 7:33 pm

Nope. Not dementia.

Sounds like things I do sometimes.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 9:55 pm

If you think you have dementia tell a doctor

Strangers on the internet do not, have the authority to diagnose you, prescribe drugs or anything else

Having said that I, am constantly doing things that make me suspect there is something wrong with my brain

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 3:07 pm

I do have ADHD by the way.

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 9:49 am

name one single person not having shorter and shorter attention span nowadays.

you cant write anything as sophisticated and nuanced as 15th or 18th century nowadays. the ocean of illiterates wouldnt listen to amyway. everything about modern society goes fast speed to achieve maximum .. idk .. maximum and directionless. low brow culture like the beatles which is like a precursor to lower and lower brow culture like whats that little tacky band zayn malek is in again ?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 10:02 am

ollychan wrote:
name one single person not having shorter and shorter attention span nowadays.

you cant write anything as sophisticated and nuanced as 15th or 18th century nowadays. the ocean of illiterates wouldnt listen to amyway. everything about modern society goes fast speed to achieve maximum .. idk .. maximum and directionless. low brow culture like the beatles which is like a precursor to lower and lower brow culture like whats that little tacky band zayn malek is in again ?

I like The Beatles. I like Tchaikovsky, too.

Just because something doesn’t contain heightened language doesn’t mean that it lacks merit.

The human condition can be reflected through a vast variety of mediums. Even Chaucer and Shakespeare didn’t mind being “low brow” from time to time.

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2019, 2:10 pm

This happened to me 2 years ago, at the age of 20.

I couldn't read, focus on anything anymore.

It was due to very high stress in my particular situation, so yes, stress might be the cause of it.

Don't worry about it too much

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 4:37 pm

Definitely stress. I've been having more of these moments myself.