Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dodus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Dec 2009, 7:51 am

I'm fairly, but not dangerously underweight and I cant seem to gain no matter how much I eat.
Does anyone know any good resources for weight gaining techniques/products?

Woodfish
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2009, 8:50 am

underweight too .. also unable to gain :/

If we concentrate on accepting ourselves, change will happen. It will take care of itself. Self-acceptance is so hard to get you can't do it a day at a time. I've found that I need to run my life five minutes at a time. --Jess Lair

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 9:19 am

My very good ASish friend is about 5-11 and weighs around 120 lbs

I feed him lots of chocolate... :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 9:37 am

Fish n Chips with Tartar Sauce, Pringles and chocolate. :lol:

On a more serious note, you might have to eat twice as much as you do, now. There's also protien powder that comes in a variety of popular flavours, such as chocolate, strawberry, vanillia and orange. Eat lots of pasta, if your diet will allow it. If you're on a gluten free diet, than choose the cuts of meat that aren't as lean. Than again, I don't even know why I'm giving advice about diets, because I don't even know the meaning of the word, diet, or else I wouldn't have opened with the cheeky joke that I've posted, above.

l05tin5pac3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2009, 9:53 am

I am 1.68 m and my weight is an annual pendulum between 53kg in summer and 58 kg in winter. So I am slightly underweight. I do a lot of sports (rock climbing, martial arts and others) and I feel very fit. There was a time when I would have liked to gain some kilos in order to build up some visible muscle mass but it was impossible because of my metabolism. So after some training I looked more like Bruce Lee and not so much like Arnold Schwarzenegger, which I realized was quite acceptable as well :-) As long as you have no health problem, there should be no reason to try to gain weight. You will live better and probably longer being slim.

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2009, 7:44 pm

I was told by my doctor to gain weight and have gone from 106 to 120 in about 6 months. Two things worked for me. I eat more at breakfast, usually a banana, in addition to toast/muffin and cereal. Also, I have a protein bar in between lunch and dinner - the Zone Perfect are the best. I've got another 5 pounds to go and I will be at ideal weight.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 8:04 pm

I am 5.8 and 94lbs and I am anorexic, I am still having trouble keeping my weight up, forget to eat

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2009, 10:16 pm

If you want to add calories to your diet, it would be easier if you did this by eating calorie dense food.

Some of these foods are:

Dried fruit 1/2 cup (apple, apricot)-- 120, 150 respectively

Raisins 1/4 cup-- 130

Almonds 28g or 22 nuts-- 169

Walnuts 28g or 14 halves-- 185

Whey protein powder-- 1 scoops of "Muscle Milk" brand has 150 (if you mix this is 1 cup of skim milk, you have 240)

Peanut butter 2 Tablespoons-- 190

Bagel 3oz -- 220

I read that they recommend that you add 500 cals to your diet per day to gain one pound per week.....and break the 500 cals up into a few meals (perhaps 3) throughout your day.

Good luck. :)

Dodus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2009, 2:22 am

Thanks for the info. =)

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2009, 2:27 pm

Dodus, it may be because of your metabolism being high coupled with your age (when I was 20 I was a real skinny mini). I found that getting older helped me to put weight on as I still ate the same crap I did before, but just couldn't burn it off as quick as I did at 20. If this is the case, enjoy it while you can as it may not last. I now have to eat healthier and exercise at least 4 times a week to keep me slim, and I'm still not as slim as I was at 20 :lol:

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2009, 5:16 pm

I know that sumo wrestlers load up on carbs just before going to sleep. You could try doing that. Obviously sugar is a bad idea, but maybe eat a lot of bread or rice. The carbs are processed while you're asleep and, because the muscles don't need them, it gets stored as fat.

Also, try and get more fats and carbs into your diet. Carbs especially, I would think, because they are processed so fast. The carbs won't contribute more to fat than fats, but you'll be able to eat more of them.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2009, 9:06 pm

You already have a lot of good suggestions here. I did want to add avocado to your list of high calorie, healthy foods. Those are always good to eat if you like them. Also, if you know the weight you want to be, add a zero to the end and eat that many calories per day; for example, if you want to weigh 150lbs, you would eat 1500 calories... if your metabolism runs really high, modify it from there on a weekly basis... adding a few hundred calories per week until it is working... Good luck with the weight gain.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 12:00 am

dossa wrote:
You already have a lot of good suggestions here. I did want to add avocado to your list of high calorie, healthy foods. Those are always good to eat if you like them. Also, if you know the weight you want to be, add a zero to the end and eat that many calories per day; for example, if you want to weigh 150lbs, you would eat 1500 calories... if your metabolism runs really high, modify it from there on a weekly basis... adding a few hundred calories per week until it is working... Good luck with the weight gain.

I think that more calories would be necessary, especially if one is not living a completely sedentary lifestyle. A healthy adult male, weighing 170 lbs, is supposed to eat 2500 calories (or 3000 if very active, such as recreational or professional body builders).

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 4:27 am

I too, am underweight. My weight wont go up no matter how much I eat either. Still, it hasn't hurt me.

And I'm around 6'1 in height.

At least there aren't fads or "secrets" like the one shown in the ad at the top of this page for gaining weight, it allows more room for real advice.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 1:35 pm

I am 16, 5 ft 6 and 88 pounds. I have very high metabolism by genetics. I get weird looks from strangers, and people call me anorexic. People who know me are surprised by how much I actually eat.

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jun 2010, 2:42 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
I am 5.8 and 94lbs and I am anorexic, I am still having trouble keeping my weight up, forget to eat

My brother often has the same problem, and so do i especially if im busy.

Im about 5'9 and weigh about 115lbs, though i do my utter most to eat at least 2 meals per day, and i eat a lot of pasta, especially at uni. though i have always had a fast metabolism, so im not sure if im going to gain much weight in the near future