Even lab mice are getting fatter these days ...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 3:39 am

I recently came across an interesting article titled The Obesity Era, presenting evidence that today's obesity epidemic must be caused, in part, by some as-yet-unknown environmental factor(s). An excerpt:

Quote:
As Richard L Atkinson, Emeritus Professor of Medicine and Nutritional Sciences at the University of Wisconsin and editor of the International Journal of Obesity, put it in 2005: ‘The previous belief of many lay people and health professionals that obesity is simply the result of a lack of willpower and an inability to discipline eating habits is no longer defensible.’

Consider, for example, this troublesome fact, reported in 2010 by the biostatistician David B Allison and his co-authors at the University of Alabama in Birmingham: over the past 20 years or more, as the American people were getting fatter, so were America’s marmosets. As were laboratory macaques, chimpanzees, vervet monkeys and mice, as well as domestic dogs, domestic cats, and domestic and feral rats from both rural and urban areas. In fact, the researchers examined records on those eight species and found that average weight for every one had increased. The marmosets gained an average of nine per cent per decade. Lab mice gained about 11 per cent per decade. Chimps, for some reason, are doing especially badly: their average body weight had risen 35 per cent per decade. Allison, who had been hearing about an unexplained rise in the average weight of lab animals, was nonetheless surprised by the consistency across so many species. ‘Virtually in every population of animals we looked at, that met our criteria, there was the same upward trend,’ he told me.

It isn’t hard to imagine that people who are eating more themselves are giving more to their spoiled pets, or leaving sweeter, fattier garbage for street cats and rodents. But such results don’t explain why the weight gain is also occurring in species that human beings don’t pamper, such as animals in labs, whose diets are strictly controlled. In fact, lab animals’ lives are so precisely watched and measured that the researchers can rule out accidental human influence: records show those creatures gained weight over decades without any significant change in their diet or activities. Obviously, if animals are getting heavier along with us, it can’t just be that they’re eating more Snickers bars and driving to work most days. On the contrary, the trend suggests some widely shared cause, beyond the control of individuals, which is contributing to obesity across many species.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 3:45 am

America's mice spend too much time on social media being glued to their devices!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Oct 2019, 7:13 am

naturalplastic wrote:
America's mice spend too much time on social media being glued to their devices!
I don't know about the mice but the rats learned to cook :arrow:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2019, 6:06 am

It is disgusting that we are exposed to so many toxins.

I heard on the radio some months ago the average German consumes in a week microplastic that amounts to the size of a credit card. In the USA it was even more, I believe twice as much. It isn't clear yet whether it's harmful or not...

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2019, 4:11 pm

I always knew the "calories in, calories out" explanation of weight gain/loss was simplified BS.