Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Noam1515
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2020, 10:50 am

I got some questions regarding low calorie diet.

Well, I know what foods to avoid, but would you say its okay to sometimes eat things like chocolate, pizza and candy, at small amounts? Or would you say, even just a little bit of it ruins everything and it should be 100% avoided on a low calorie diet.

Also, a more general "simple" question. Does running really make you lose weight / fat faster than walking? for example 30 minutes of walking vs 30 minutes of running.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2020, 11:18 am

In my opinion, 100% restriction leads to binging and is one of the reasons people will only stick to a diet for a period of time before giving it up completely.

Neither running not walking will make a big impact when it comes to weight loss. What you eat and how much you eat is the primary factor in losing weight. https://www.vox.com/2018/1/3/16845438/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories

That said, exercise such as cardio, is still essential for your health and so there are other major benefits to regular runs/walks.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2020, 10:19 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
In my opinion, 100% restriction leads to binging and is one of the reasons people will only stick to a diet for a period of time before giving it up completely.

Neither running not walking will make a big impact when it comes to weight loss. What you eat and how much you eat is the primary factor in losing weight. https://www.vox.com/2018/1/3/16845438/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories

That said, exercise such as cardio, is still essential for your health and so there are other major benefits to regular runs/walks.

This is why I think the 5x2 diet/lifestyle is a good way to go.
This is a fast day for me today, so I am getting into it again. 8)

I have lost 7kgs in about 2 months with the help of some extended fasting, eating better and an increase of exercise. 8)

I ditched fast foods because of the pandemic, and I am reaping the rewards.
Thank you COVD-19. :heart: :mrgreen:

gakmt
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Oct 2020, 4:10 pm

From 2013-2014 I lost approx. 140 pounds. I didn't use a very low calorie diet. Instead I signed up with a website, My Fitness Pal, although there are others. You input your height, weight etc., tell it how much you want to lose, and how fast (from .5 to 2 pounds a week). you then track all your meals and snacks. It then establishes an amount of calories for you to consume each day. You basically eat anything you want as long a you stay within the calorie boundary.

Additionally, you can log your exercise, which will give you additional calories to consume because you are burning more. If you follow it and you are honest about your intake it works.

During my weight loss period we had pizza night on Saturday. I ate hamburgers, hot dogs, potato chips, etc.. sometimes but we also ate a lot of fruits and vegetables, salad, fish and chicken, low calorie soups etc...

I also went from being relatively sedentary (I'm a realtor, so alot of desk time) to fairly active. I now run 9 miles every morning and swim a mile most evenings. Although I started off with 20 mins on the eliptical and thought death was surely imminent.

Its no been 7 years, I have maintained my loss. I still log in and record my meals and excercise daily. It works and its free.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2020, 4:48 pm

I've lost ~30# (from ~240#) since March.

• Less than 1000 calories per day.
• High fiber, low carbs.
• High protein, low fat.

On Saturdays I might break the diet for one meal, still keeping the portions reasonable (no seconds or desserts).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2020, 5:03 pm

You can eat anything you want. It's a matter of staying in your calorie deficit range. You can have chocolate everyday and not gain weight because you stay in your calorie range your body uses to maintain your weight.

Fun fact: Exercising does not make you lose weight, it's a matter of you using more energy to lose weight. Exercising just helps tone your body and build your muscle and to avoid having loose skin after weight loss when you build muscle while losing weight. I have lost weight without even exercising. I stopped having snacks and seconds at meals and I lost weight and then I was in PE and softball so that attributed to my weight loss when I was 15. Then I gained some back because I wasn't dieting that much anymore.

The more weight you lose, the less calorie in take you will need, that is why it seems like your metabolism slows down because your body does not need as much energy to maintain its size. But the more active you are, the more calorie intake you need to maintain your size. I eat more than my husband and weigh a lot less than him because I work as a janitor and I move around a lot and I work out. My husband is disabled so he cannot move around that much and it's hard on his feet when he is on them too much so that attributes to his size.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2020, 6:28 pm

In general, weight loss is a function of meal volume control. When you are losing weight it is important to take in 75-90 grams of protein each day and 64-80 ounces of liquids each day, otherwise you may experience medical problems such as PCM (protein calorie malnutrition) or severe dehydration. Sometimes when you exercise to an extreme, you can actually gain weight. This is because you will build up muscle at the same time you are losing fat cells. And muscle weighs more than fat. This added weight is not necessarily bad.

I lost 120 pounds over a period of approximately 7 months. And have essentially kept this weight off for 7 years now. I had a type of bariatric surgery called Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. I went from a size XXX down to a size Small in shirts.

Angelacl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2020, 11:52 am

yeah, that is right. All in all you have to count the calories you take in so you would know how much you should lose. That is the secret :)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 10:36 pm

Another 2kgs bites the dust! :mrgreen:

I think I'll celebrate today (Saturday) and get pizza!
Pizza is good for a diet, right? :scratch:

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2020, 7:05 pm

It’s not that simple. You can technically eat whatever you want on a low calorie diet, but do you really want to be hungry? Probably not, so you should eat filling, healthy foods. For example, a bowl of beans and rice would probably fill you up more than a muffin, and a banana would probably fill you up more than a bowl of chips. Also, drinking water helps you feel full.

As for walking and running, running burns more calories, but it can also tire you sooner, so it might even out. Running does burn a lot of calories per minute, but it can also be hard to do it for very long, so by the time you’re tired from the running you probably won’t have burned that much yet unless you’re a habitual runner who can do it for awhile. Meanwhile, walking is easier to sustain.

And congratulations on the 2kg! Enjoy your pizza! Everything in moderation.