I don’t know how to achieve this size?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,440
Location: Near London United Kingdom

13 Dec 2020, 6:44 pm

I workout with free weights and resistance bands at home yet I can’t seem to get over 162-168 pound range no matter how long I workout for.

Apparently the actor Mark Wahlberg got up to 205 pounds for his role in the movie Pain and again and was all natural without steroids. Mark is also my height (roughly 5ft8).

I ideally I would love to weigh 187 pounds of muscle but do you think my genetics just will not let me reach that high?



madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,517
Location: Jersey UK

13 Dec 2020, 6:48 pm

you should go check out a body building forum
those guys know how to put on weight
although

the training and diet for weight gain
can be extreme and expensive

read books by experts
that is what i recommend

that is what big body builders generally do
steroids is only a part of the life and not always necessary

the amount of steroids the big builders are on
often are 100 times more than natural level testosterone

which costs a fortune in itself



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,440
Location: Near London United Kingdom

13 Dec 2020, 7:14 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
you should go check out a body building forum
those guys know how to put on weight
although

the training and diet for weight gain
can be extreme and expensive

read books by experts
that is what i recommend

that is what big body builders generally do
steroids is only a part of the life and not always necessary

the amount of steroids the big builders are on
often are 100 times more than natural level testosterone

which costs a fortune in itself



Thanks for the advice :)



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,324
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

13 Dec 2020, 7:20 pm

Eat more.
You need more caloric intake to increase mass whether you're storing as fat or converting it into muscle.



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,440
Location: Near London United Kingdom

13 Dec 2020, 7:44 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Eat more.
You need more caloric intake to increase mass whether you're storing as fat or converting it into muscle.



Would you 162-168 pounds is quite skinny for a 5ft7-5ft8 guy that lifts?



madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,517
Location: Jersey UK

13 Dec 2020, 7:58 pm

73kg for someone who is 5'8 is perfect weight
I am 5'8, and carry a stone or two extra, although i have slimmed down in the past
through doing BJJ 6 days a week to get to 73 kg. which was my ideal shape / weight really
as i am fairly thick set, thick legs like tree trunks but not particularly naturally big chest or arms

but the BJJ make me a bit more muscular and made me burn all the excess fat off

I got down to 73 kg before, by doing High Intensity Interval Training
ever day and eating a really lean diet high in protein and low carbs

did wear me out though

I believe if you really want to put on muscle, then you really need to learn about science of body building
as experienced body builders who have been doing it for decades know loads of things
what to eat, how many times to eat, what supplements, how much rest.

It really is a refined science and art form these days.
You would be better off paying a specialist in this area to give you some education

If unsure, go to your local body building supplement store, but look for an old hand at the sport
as they will have tried out loads of different things and will know from experience

we are all born with particular genetics
for some it is harder to put on weight (but easy to lose weight)
for others it is harder to lose weight (but easy to put on weight)
and the really lucky ones, are naturally athletic and can do what ever they want
with a less trouble

some of the celebrities fall into this category
but those guys also have the worlds top pro trainers including people like Arnie and the Rock
to help them

so if you are in the category where you have trouble putting on weight
i would recommend that you get help from someone who has walked the path

they will know the answers to the questions you ask



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,324
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

13 Dec 2020, 8:04 pm

Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Eat more.
You need more caloric intake to increase mass whether you're storing as fat or converting it into muscle.



Would you 162-168 pounds is quite skinny for a 5ft7-5ft8 guy that lifts?


It's not a matter of being skinny or not, it's a matter of gaining weight requires one to intake more calories than they use.



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,440
Location: Near London United Kingdom

13 Dec 2020, 8:08 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
73kg for someone who is 5'8 is perfect weight
I am 5'8, and carry a stone or two extra, although i have slimmed down in the past
through doing BJJ 6 days a week to get to 73 kg. which was my ideal shape / weight really
as i am fairly thick set, thick legs like tree trunks but not particularly naturally big chest or arms

but the BJJ make me a bit more muscular and made me burn all the excess fat off

I got down to 73 kg before, by doing High Intensity Interval Training
ever day and eating a really lean diet high in protein and low carbs

did wear me out though

I believe if you really want to put on muscle, then you really need to learn about science of body building
as experienced body builders who have been doing it for decades know loads of things
what to eat, how many times to eat, what supplements, how much rest.

It really is a refined science and art form these days.
You would be better off paying a specialist in this area to give you some education

If unsure, go to your local body building supplement store, but look for an old hand at the sport
as they will have tried out loads of different things and will know from experience

we are all born with particular genetics
for some it is harder to put on weight (but easy to lose weight)
for others it is harder to lose weight (but easy to put on weight)
and the really lucky ones, are naturally athletic and can do what ever they want
with a less trouble

some of the celebrities fall into this category
but those guys also have the worlds top pro trainers including people like Arnie and the Rock
to help them

so if you are in the category where you have trouble putting on weight
i would recommend that you get help from someone who has walked the path

they will know the answers to the questions you ask





Didn’t Arnie and the rock take steroids though.....



By the way I have naturally thick legs and a big chest



Dial1194
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2019
Age: 121
Gender: Male
Posts: 252
Location: Australia

15 Dec 2020, 10:35 am

Boiling down what Hollywood stars do to get the muscle look:

1) Eat a quite frankly ridiculous amount of food, plus protein supplements; and
2) Exercise a lot

And, as the quote goes, get a major motion picture studio to pay for it all.



Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 20 Oct 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,545

16 Dec 2020, 1:13 pm

I think it depends on your body type. If you're an ectomorph and Mark Wahlberg is a mesomorph, you won't be able to achieve the same bulk as him.

Image



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,440
Location: Near London United Kingdom

16 Dec 2020, 1:50 pm

Tempus Fugit wrote:
I think it depends on your body type. If you're an ectomorph and Mark Wahlberg is a mesomorph, you won't be able to achieve the same bulk as him.

Image




Unless you take steriods



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 73,451
Location: Queens, NYC

17 Dec 2020, 3:21 pm

Taking steroids is stupid....for many reasons.

I wish I WAS as tall as 5 foot 7 LOL. I'm 5 foot 4 3/4's, almost 5 foot 5. I weigh 155 right now. I'm still a bit overweight. I weighed in the 180s back in June.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,911
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

17 Dec 2020, 4:14 pm

I don't know much about lifting, I can't even lift the bar for that thing where you lay on the bench and lift weights(found out in a HS P.E class. But from what I understand it is best to have a personal goal you can achieve without sacrificing your health and its detrimental to compare yourself to other people in that regard.

There are various factors that will determine what that goal should be...but one of the factors should not be 'such and such is this big why can't I be like them' it could push you to unhealthy extremes if you focus on that.

Also, I figure that would make it less enjoyable you should work out because you like to and it makes you feel good not because you feel you 'have' to.


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,440
Location: Near London United Kingdom

17 Dec 2020, 4:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Taking steroids is stupid....for many reasons.

I wish I WAS as tall as 5 foot 7 LOL. I'm 5 foot 4 3/4's, almost 5 foot 5. I weigh 155 right now. I'm still a bit overweight. I weighed in the 180s back in June.



What’s your goal weight?



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 73,451
Location: Queens, NYC

17 Dec 2020, 7:15 pm

I guess about 145.



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,440
Location: Near London United Kingdom

18 Dec 2020, 11:22 am

When I was 20 I got up to 174 pounds in the morning without clothes on. That’s when I had a gym membership.

These days I can’t get over 164 pounds in the morning without clothes.

Do you really lose muscle mass between ages 20-31? It could have been that I had more extra puppy fat on me when I was 20?