Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 12:30 pm

I am 5ft7 1/2 and a half currently weigh 163 lbs in the morning without clothes on.

According to NHS BMI calculator https://tinyurl.com/92pmd6ru I need to lose 5 percent of my body weight which is 8 pounds to see improvements in my overall health.

Do you think that’s accurate dropping from 163 to 155 lbs would improve my overall health and well-being etc?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 12:35 pm

It is infinitely more accurate than a Ouija board.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 12:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
It is infinitely more accurate than a Ouija board.

I am just thinking if I lost 8 pounds it might help my body absorb my medication better

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 12:51 pm

BMI is very misleading and kind of meaningless.

What matters is your lean body mass and body fat percentage. If you are 163 lbs, but your body fat % is in healthy range for your age, there is no need to lose any weight. If you would be perfect weight according to your BMI, but body fat % is too high, you would still need to work on gaining more lean body mass and/or losing excess fat to really be healthy.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 12:55 pm

badRobot wrote:
BMI is very misleading and kind of meaningless.

What matters is your lean body mass and body fat percentage. If you are 163 lbs, but your body fat % is in healthy range for your age, there is no need to lose any weight. If you would be perfect weight according to your BMI, but body fat % is too high, you would still need to work on gaining more lean body mass and/or losing excess fat to really be healthy.

Do you think excess body fat can effect how well my anti anxiety medications work?

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:06 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Do you think excess body fat can effect how well my anti anxiety medications work?

It depends, I would read the manual or ask your pharmacist or manufacturer directly. Usually medications have rough outline of how it gets absorbed, metabolized and excreted under "Pharmacodynamics" section of description, there should also be list of factors that affect efficacy. If excess body fat is not listed there specifically I personally would not bother, but I'm not a pharmacist, so don't take my opinion as medical advise.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:10 pm

Jamesy wrote:

Probably doctor who gave you prescription already took your weight into account when made decision on dosage.