Do you think his doctor is being a bit over the top?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 3:49 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Mike Tyson is 5ft10 and 220 pounds of muscle. He’s not unhealthy or has heart issues has he?

Whatever his health issues are, I don't think any of it has anything to do with having too much muscles. If he has heart issues from overtraining then substance abuse and cycling between being obese and muscular, it might be a good idea to lose some muscle weight at this point. But it's not like having too much muscles makes him sick.

Just to sum it up: yes, it is very-very possible his doctor giving him misleading advise. in general I don't think muscular person of this weight and height is unhealthy, it's not like he's crazy huge hulk monster, this is pretty average weight for muscular guy of his height. but it is also a possibility that he has some issues that make losing a bit of muscle mass a good idea.

Last edited by badRobot on 04 Oct 2021, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 3:51 pm

badRobot wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Mike Tyson is 5ft10 and 220 pounds of muscle. He’s not unhealthy or has heart issues has he?

Whatever his health issues are, I don't think any of it has anything to do with having too much muscles. If he has heart issues from overtraining then substance abuse and cycling between being obese and muscular, it might be a good idea to lose some muscle weight at this point. But it's not like having too much muscles makes him sick.

Mike Tyson has never abused substance or done steroids though

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 3:56 pm

Jamesy wrote:

I'm not a Mike Tyson expert, but I believe at some point(s) he was pretty hardcore alcoholic or drug addict.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 3:58 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Mike Tyson has never abused substance

Him and Elvis too. :lol: :lol:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/184 ... ?hpt=hp_t2

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 3:58 pm

badRobot wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

I'm not a Mike Tyson expert, but I believe at some point(s) he was pretty hardcore alcoholic or drug addict.

I thought by substance you mean steroid abuse

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 4:00 pm

badRobot wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Just to sum it up: yes, it is very-very possible his doctor giving him misleading advise. in general I don't think muscular person of this weight and height is unhealthy, it's not like he's crazy huge hulk monster, this is pretty average weight for muscular guy of his height. but it is also a possibility that he has some issues that make losing a bit of muscle mass a good idea.

The question is though is when does to much muscle at that height become unhealthy?

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 4:23 pm

Jamesy wrote:
The question is though is when does to much muscle at that height become unhealthy?

I don't know. If you are healthy otherwise, I would say whatever you can achieve naturally and without pushing unreasonably hard supposed to be safe. There are many bottlenecks in muscle mass growth, you will not gain forever.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 4:29 pm

Life is not composed of conveniently specific and discrete rules where if you are this tall and weigh that much then X amount of muscle is healthy or unhealthy. Even BMI is useless since it completely ignores variations in muscle mass and bone density and general body composition.

However, it is somewhat accurate that the larger you are, the harder your heart has to work to keep you alive. As for how much weight your heart can handle, that depends on YOUR heart. If you're born with a really tough heart, and take care of it, then probably longer than someone born with a weak heart that they never take care of.

Wanna know how heathy your heart is? Ask a cardiologist. If you exercise properly and keep your heart healthy, you're more likely to be able to support the rest of the system. Bigger muscles require more input to operate. One of the big ones being oxygenating the blood. Meaning the heart has to pump faster and harder.

So, it depends. There is no fast simple answer. Everyone is different.

In the case of your friend, if their personal physical specifics made them susceptible to health problems as a result of the training being undertaken to attain the muscles / weight they have, then no, it's not over the top.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 5:59 pm

can't argue with results, the late jack lalanne [passed a few years ago @ 96 years] was as fit and muscular as they come for his size [5'6"], he weighed 150# max, i am sure 4 more inches in height would not have pushed him over 200#. based on his stellar example, i don't believe it is mandatory that a muscular person of that size range should have to weight more than 200#.