Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2021, 9:24 am

Burgers get an unhealthy reputation because they're associated with fast food, but they're not inherently bad. They have all 3 macros: protein, carbs and fat. And there's at least some veggies inside of them.

The real problem in fast food are the Fries (mostly carbs, no protein or micronutrients) and the Soda (which is all sugar). Notice that over the past few decades, the burgers have remained the same size (if not slightly smaller). It's the fries and soda that have been supersized.

Other options on fast food menus include milkshakes and dessert pies. And the salads, which have croutons and high-calorie dressing, end up being even more caloric than the burgers.

There's a reverse health halo effect. Someone would feel bad about eating a 550 calorie burger, but eating an 1100 calorie container of organic almonds doesn't set off the same alarms.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 10:27 am

If I tell the Missus that I had a sandwich for lunch, she does not seem to care; but if I tell her that the sandwich contained two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions on a sesame-seed bun, she will give me The Look and start to lecture me on diet and health.

She is cute that way!

:heart:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 10:37 pm

When I order food for delivery if I want to eat healthy, I order veggie burger, I can put avocados on it. When I get salads, I put my salad dressing that I bought from the grocery store. I love Caesar salad, I know their dressing is about 800 calories.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 11:35 pm

cheeseburgers contain CLAs [conjugated lineolic acids] which have been shown in lab studies to lower cholesterol.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 11:47 pm

Minervx_2 wrote:
Burgers get an unhealthy reputation because they're associated with fast food, but they're not inherently bad. They have all 3 macros: protein, carbs and fat. And there's at least some veggies inside of them.

The real problem in fast food are the Fries (mostly carbs, no protein or micronutrients) and the Soda (which is all sugar). Notice that over the past few decades, the burgers have remained the same size (if not slightly smaller). It's the fries and soda that have been supersized.

Other options on fast food menus include milkshakes and dessert pies. And the salads, which have croutons and high-calorie dressing, end up being even more caloric than the burgers.

There's a reverse health halo effect. Someone would feel bad about eating a 550 calorie burger, but eating an 1100 calorie container of organic almonds doesn't set off the same alarms.

Well I don't like burgers with veggies, I prefer the meat patty and maybe some mushrooms and cheese. Though I'd be fine having a salad as well, but for sure I do not like my salad to be on my burger. I'd rather have a cheese/mushroom burger and eat some veggies on the side.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 10:46 am

Minervx_2 wrote:
They have all 3 macros: protein, carbs and fat.

This is exactly why burgers are really-really unhealthy, high fat + high carb combo is what leads to elevated level of atherogenic glycated lipoprotein particles that gave cholesterol bad reputation.

Consumption of fat with carbs preventing body fat utilization is what makes you overeat and gain excess fat.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 11:03 am

Take out the fat and carbs, and only fiber and protein would be left.

Did anyone else ever taste one of those high-fiber protein bars?

:eew:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 11:26 am

Fnord wrote:
Take out the fat and carbs, and only fiber and protein would be left.

Did anyone else ever taste one of those high-fiber protein bars?

:eew:

Take out fat or carbs and it becomes much more healthier. Burger without a bun is actually pretty healthy in general. There still might be some nasty s**t fast food chains add to improve shelf life, taste or to reduce costs, but it doesn't apply to all burgers in general.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 12:50 pm

Yummmy.... burgers....! , Now i got the urge to go out and get one But NOT Mcdonalds..
they seem to have lost their taste over the years.

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:23 pm

i wonder how healthy that oily tilapia sole was for me to eat?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:28 pm

I have a burger at least a couple of times a week. I do the right thing and order grilled, alternate chicken/beef and switch up an assortment of veggies to maximise nutrients.

Golden rule - more colours in your burger - the more likely you get the correct balance

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 7:39 am

It's going to depend on the burger, surely?

I mean if it's 100% grass-fed ground beef from a cut with a good muscle-fat ratio then yes, no reason why a burger can't be considered a healthy food.

It's when people start using junk meat, padding it out with low quality grains, adding sugars and salt to cover up the lack of flavour, and then adding nitrates and other preservatives. Then it's a Frankenburger and no, not healthy at all.

Most fast-food places have no interest in supplying their customers with quality food.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 8:02 am

i had me a shrimp and bacon and cheese burger the other day, i wonder how healthy THAT one was.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 12:14 pm

DuckHairback wrote:

I mean if it's 100% grass-fed ground beef from a cut with a good muscle-fat ratio then yes, no reason why a burger can't be considered a healthy food.

It's when people start using junk meat, padding it out with low quality grains, adding sugars and salt to cover up the lack of flavour, and then adding nitrates and other preservatives. Then it's a Frankenburger and no, not healthy at all.

Most fast-food places have no interest in supplying their customers with quality food.

Any conventional burger with a bun, even made of the best organic ingredients is fundamentally unhealthy due to typical macronutrient composition: High carb + high fat. I can't imagine context or conditions under which this combo can be healthy.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 1:07 pm

badRobot wrote:
Any conventional burger with a bun, even made of the best organic ingredients is fundamentally unhealthy due to typical macronutrient composition: High carb + high fat. I can't imagine context or conditions under which this combo can be healthy.

I wasn't actually thinking about a bun at all. Just the patty.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 2:22 pm

badRobot wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

even 93% lean hamburger meat ?????

where ever you go ,there you are