Codeine-minimal effect,feedback welcomed

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 8:35 pm

I’m trying to work out why 30mg codeine last night and 60 mgs tonight has provided minimal pain relief .

I’ve been given a placebo?
Dose is low?
Codeine resistant pan?
I’m not taking it properly?

If any of you have used codeine for pain relief I’d welcome your feedback.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 9:01 pm

Codeine is only a mild pain reliever.

What is causing the pain?

I’ve taken Tylenol with Codeine for a toothache. It didn’t help the pain that much—but it did help me sleep.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 9:45 pm

I get really sick from Codeine. It makes my heart race like I've had way too much caffeine, and keeps me wide awake.

Regardless it's not a very strong pain reliever. It might help a headache, but not dental pain or much else.

Can you report to your doctor that it isn't working?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 9:57 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I’m trying to work out why 30mg codeine last night and 60 mgs tonight has provided minimal pain relief .

Dose is low?
Codeine resistant pan?

Id talk to your pharmacist and/or physician soon as possible .The bottle should tell the dose and how many you are supposed to take a day.I would be very careful because codeine is dangerous stuff although its one of the weakest opiods i think.Whatever you do dont take it when you are not supposed to and follow the instructions on the bottle exactly.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 9:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I’ve taken Tylenol with Codeine for a toothache. It didn’t help the pain that much—but it did help me sleep.

but the problem with the tylenol and codeine combo if you take it for too long or not as directed it can result in liver failure if you are not careful.I dont know how likely it is but it is possible and has happened.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 10:02 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I get really sick from Codeine. It makes my heart race like I've had way too much caffeine, and keeps me wide awake.

Regardless it's not a very strong pain reliever. It might help a headache, but not dental pain or much else.

Thats very abnormal reaction because opiods are depressants and not stimulants so I wonder why you reacted so differently to it compared to the normal response. Codeine normally makes people sleepy more likely.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 12:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

The pain is due to the falls I've had . It affects my left groin,hip and knee. Sleep is poor because I feel a lot of pain swinging my left leg onto the bed. Hence why codeine was prescribed for night time use.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 12:11 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Thats very abnormal reaction because opiods are depressants and not stimulants so I wonder why you reacted so differently to it compared to the normal response. Codeine normally makes people sleepy more likely.

Oxycodone (Percodan) does the same.

I call it "the magical mystery tour" when I take narcotic pain relief. It makes me kind of high, but just enough that my mind gets busy with weird thoughts and it keeps me awake enjoying the ride.

Even morphine doesn't let me sleep. It gives moderate pain relief.

Oxycocet (Percocet) is the only one I can kind of manage. Actually, Demerol injections are good too.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 12:28 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I can, but it's tricky. From terms used like ' help regain confidence' there seems to be a belief that there's a strong psychological element to this. Indeed the 1st paramedics that came acted as though I just had to grow a pair and walk, even though I was experiencing a lot of pain.

I can manage to walk shortish distances with a zimmer frame, but only if someone's following close behind with the wheelchair . I tried turning with the frame a couple of days ago and completely lost my balance. Luckily I managed to avoid falling to the floor, and the physio assistant was near at hand to help me into the wheelchair.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 2:58 am

Codeine doesn't have much effect on me either.

Possibly none at all, in fact, but if I'm taking it that's because I'm already in a situation where I'll give any pain relief a try. So the Control experiment of NOT taking it doesn't really appeal, just in case it turns out it was helping a little after all.

Isn't it supposed to be addictive?

Again, I've never had any reason to feel even remotely excited about taking it, and definitely no withdrawl cravings.

smartHulk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2021, 7:15 am

Codeine is not a strong painkiller, but it should be good enough for tolerable pain. Are you timing intake properly? I would suggest taking it 1-2 hours before bedtime. At about 2 hours it should reach maximum effect and that should allow you to fall asleep. Another point, to some extent, increase of pain during night time is a result of our mind focusing on it. I would suggest listening to audio books until you fall asleep as a distraction. Meditation or focusing on relaxing breathing exercises are very helpful as well.

Breathing exercises that lower CO2 (circular breathing or controlled hyperventilation) known to reduce pain by affecting chemical bonds in pain receptors, but usually these exercises also increase adrenaline, might make it harder to fall asleep, but some people have no trouble falling asleep, so it might be worth trying.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 7:19 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Opiates keep me awake as well. They have always had a stimulant effect on me, at least at low to moderate doses.

Bodies/brains are very variable, so it isn't surprising that some people have paradoxical reactions.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 7:55 am

firemonkey wrote:

Dose is low?
Codeine resistant pan?

Some people just don't respond to opiates in terms of pain. Have you taken them previously?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 8:23 am

Not a doctor - first and foremost.

But I always thought codeine was more effective for nerve-type pain. If the pain is caused by inflammation then an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen would be more appropriate?

Hope you get it under control soon.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 8:34 am

I hope you're talking to your doctor today, Firemonkey.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 8:40 am

firemonkey wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I can, but it's tricky. From terms used like ' help regain confidence' there seems to be a belief that there's a strong psychological element to this. Indeed the 1st paramedics that came acted as though I just had to grow a pair and walk, even though I was experiencing a lot of pain.

I can manage to walk shortish distances with a zimmer frame, but only if someone's following close behind with the wheelchair . I tried turning with the frame a couple of days ago and completely lost my balance. Luckily I managed to avoid falling to the floor, and the physio assistant was near at hand to help me into the wheelchair.

That's not OK. Don't let them bully you, because pain is not psychological. In fact autistic people are known to be hypo-sensitive to pain, meaning the pain is much worse than we realise or report. What I've done in the past is return the unused medicine if I'm asking for a different one. Sometimes I give it directly to my doctor when I ask for a different prescription. That way they don't think you're just seeking meds, or that you might be addicted / selling them. There are nerve medications like Gabapentin, and also other pain relief meds which aren't necessarily stronger but might be more effective for inflammation, depending on what's causing your pain.