Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 11:29 pm

Since I started working longer hours I've had trouble sleeping. I have a physical job, so I'm not staring at a screen all day, and I get home around 5.30pm, feeling physically tired and longing to get into bed. I go to bed at around 10ish, and I read to wind down, but my eyes are tired and heavy so I can't read for long. So I put the book down and then lay down to go to sleep. But although I feel physically tired, I still can't drop off. My brain is chattering with many thoughts at once and I'm suddenly restless. When I do drop off I wake up a few hours later.

I thought my sleep pattern would regulate now that I'm working days and not sleeping during the day like I used to. I can feel the tiredness behind my eyes yet can't seem to go to sleep. Maybe it's my body adjusting to the new schedule? Will I start sleeping regularly again?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 6:34 am

There's nothing worse that feeling tired but not being able to sleep. You're probably right when you say you just need to get used to your new pattern.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 5:32 pm

I think it's hyperactivity as well, even though I avoid caffeine at night. It's the time I need to talk, as I work alone most of the time, but by then my boyfriend is tired and wants to sleep. It's why I come to WP. I love talking and expressing myself.

I'm glad I am settling into a proper routine now, as I find keeping a routine hard but now that I work regular daytime hours I should be able to sleep better at night.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 5:58 pm

Are you working full-time now?

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 7:56 pm

The breathing and relaxation exercises worked for me in the same context. YMMV, but worth a try. I also tried the melatonin and it worked for me, I didn't like the hangover tho.

exercises