Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 5:55 pm

One in two people get cancer. That's half the population. You have just as much chance of getting cancer as you have of being a boy or a girl. 50/50. It's scary. When I was a kid I was told that cancer is rare and that most people go through their whole lives cancer-free. That was probably just a lie to stop kids worrying. Now I know better.

My mum died of cancer. I seem to think I have symptoms of ovarian cancer or worse - bowel cancer. And bowel cancer means colonoscopies. I hate colonoscopies. Yes, I know colonoscopies are better than dying an early death of cancer like my mum did, but please don't lumber that cliche on me. I don't want bowel cancer OR a colonoscopy. If I'm going to get cancer somewhere I rather it be anywhere but the bowels or the stomach. Ovarian cancer might be less daunting to have tests for and to detect. I've seen the doctor about ovarian cancer worries, and although they're not worried about me according to the symptoms I said, they will still send me for a blood test and we'll go from there.

I really hope I don't have cancer though. I don't want to go through what my mum had to. I've just been sort of promoted at work and I love my new routine, I don't want to be cursed with cancer. I'm cursed with sh***y ASD, which is s**t enough, but cancer is one of the few things that is worse than ASD and I don't want it. I don't like my body being prodded and poked about with cameras. Makes me cringe, what with sensory issues and all.

I'm hoping it's just anxiety, as I'm having problems with noisy neighbours and worrying about WW3 and covid and losing my loved ones. Ever since my mum died I've been feeling more vulnerable thinking something else bad is going to happen. My boyfriend is on medication to prevent heart attacks, so he must be in pretty bad health, his health being too poor for vaccinations to protect him from covid, and it's only a matter of time before it's our turn to get covid.
I keep getting diarrhea lately, which is not connected to what I eat. I think I've got cancer on my mind so much that I think I have it. Maybe it's all part of grieving for a loved one lost due to cancer?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 11:14 am

You will worry more about these things because of losing your mum to it Joe. Also as you get older (I know you're not old) you do teld to worry about health issues a lot more than you do when you are younger. This is perfectly normal.

You have done the absolute right thing in speaking to your doctor. That is probably the hardest step to take so we'll done to you for that. You will be able to del with whatever the outcome of it all is when it happens. You're a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 6:28 pm

I'm so scared though, in case it is cancer. I keep feeling bloated and my appetite is weaker than it was a couple of weeks ago. I also keep getting random diarrhea that is not related to what I eat.
The only good (but not good) thing is that I'm not losing weight and I'm always hot. Usually when people are ill they get cold easily.

It's just all come on all of a sudden. I know that if your appetite goes it means your body is trying to tell you something. My mum lost her appetite before she knew she had cancer. She'd come home from a long day's work and not fancy her dinner, which I thought was strange. But she got diagnosed with a stomach ulcer so I thought it was down to that and I relaxed. I wish I knew better.

I'm so scared of getting colon cancer more than any other cancer. It's the most embarrassing cancer to get, in my opinion. I don't like the way they fill your intestines up with air during a colonoscopy and then you got to fart it out. It's so f*****g embarrassing and dehumanising. I'd rather die.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 3:31 am

my dad died from cancer of the oesphagus..it ate him alive.

it was a long time ago now though, 30 years.

you are fine sweetie

dont panic about tests and all stuff and gubbins

its more important that you are ok

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 5:52 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'm cursed with sh***y ASD, which is s**t enough, but cancer is one of the few things that is worse than ASD and I don't want it.

There are tons of things out there that are worse than ASD. ASD is actually pretty minor. PTSD, depression, eating disorders, all of those are much worse than ASD.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 2:13 pm

Ettina wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I'm cursed with sh***y ASD, which is s**t enough, but cancer is one of the few things that is worse than ASD and I don't want it.

There are tons of things out there that are worse than ASD. ASD is actually pretty minor. PTSD, depression, eating disorders, all of those are much worse than ASD.

ASD is minor health-wise, although all these discussions about Aspies having a shorter lifespan and everything just makes me feel like I have a death sentence so might.

But ASD is lifelong, something you're born with and will be with you until the day you die. It denies you proper friendships and is a very lonely disorder to have (unless you like being alone). It's a horrible thing to have. Plus with all these added physical health conditions that are now apparent with ASD, such as heart disease, autoimmune diseases, more vulnerable to covid, etc. It's a curse.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 9:10 am

Joe90 wrote:
But ASD is lifelong, something you're born with and will be with you until the day you die. It denies you proper friendships and is a very lonely disorder to have (unless you like being alone). It's a horrible thing to have. Plus with all these added physical health conditions that are now apparent with ASD, such as heart disease, autoimmune diseases, more vulnerable to covid, etc. It's a curse.

There's no good evidence for most of those health conditions. Most of them are made up by quacks trying to argue why their quack theory totally causes autism and they can treat it.

And it's totally possible to make friends if you meet the right people. I've had plenty of wonderful friendships. Plus, being lonely isn't nearly as bad as having flashbacks or depressive episodes.