Can constant stress cause heart damage?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 10:35 pm

I can't find anything online that gives a definite "Yes," or "No," answer.

I've been increasingly getting odd "bubbling" sensations in my chest for the past couple months, and more recently I've started getting tightness and pain in my chest, especially when I do anything to exert myself. I've also been short of breath a lot of the time.

I'm worried that years of constant, intense stress and the resulting high blood pressure + pulse rate have damaged my heart, since nothing else has happened that would cause that.

I do plan to see a doctor about this, but I've been waiting until I learn to drive and can take myself to appointments so I don't have to inconvenience anyone else, especially if it turns out to be nothing.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 10:43 pm

I don’t think it’s very likely. It could be a good idea to get it checked out by a doctor sooner than you were planning to to ease your mind, though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:16 pm

Do you have an at-home BP cuff?
Hypertension itself can damage your heart whether you're stressed or not.
I'm not saying that's what's happening, but hypertension does damage the heart, kidneys, and other organs.
The solution could be as simple as a low-dose Aspirin, a lower sodium diet, or possibly a BP med.