Cutting out added salt- how do I keep the tastiness factor?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 2:34 pm

I use lo salt but I'm still having a rather high level of sodium a day. I accept that's not good, but previous attempts to not use added salt have been very short lived.. Why? Because eating was an unpleasurable experience.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 2:39 pm

Uhmm.. this is not a very good reply but , I do believe , that Auntblabby may have much info on Salt free diets . :wink:

where ever you go ,there you are

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 12:34 am

Oddly enough, I'm actually trying to figure out how to add more salt to my diet, since my blood pressure has been too low for a while now. But, on your question, I'd suggest adding plenty of herbs and spices when you cook. Also, adding a little acid (lemon, balsamic vinegar, fermented foods, etc.) can give food an extra kick. Also, just cooking in general, as opposed to relying on processed foods will probably help a lot if you are not already doing this.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 10:28 am

Funnily, I've never been one to care too much about the taste of things when it comes to tasting "good", rather there's just some things I'm not a fan of (texture usually, but not much a fan of bitter things), but they don't bother me too much anymore. So, I'd just say to use less salt, but that's not really helpful when one is looking for a substitute. blueroses has some good ideas there.

Somewhat interesting how these things manifest with autism and taste, though.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 5:16 pm

Try adding spices you like in place of the salt.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 6:33 pm

That's a good suggestion.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 3:53 am

Salt in itself isn't a big deal when all is said and done. Of course don't over do it but a sprinkle of salt in your dinner while you're cooking it isn't a big deal. It's actually needed for human life, in small quantities.

Perhaps switch up the spices and use more of them. Garlic, onion, paprika, black and white pepper. Junk and packaged foods contain enormous amount of salt and all sorts of other garbage, you're best off cooking easy fresh food at home yourself.

Unless you have a very good reason there's no need to stress about a bit of salt in your food.