Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 1:37 pm

Where I live in England I use specsavers for all my visual needs. I got made fun of a lot by my friends down the pub for wearing glasses to sharpen my sight.

Are there any special glasses I could purchase that are virtually invisible on your face? When I went to specsavers they told me the problem with rimless glasses is that they break really easily.

Apparently laser surgery will not correct my sight either because I got artifical lenses at a young age because of a family history of early onset cataracts.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 1:40 pm

anyone who makes fun of you for wearing glasses is NOT your friend. Save your money and invest in some new friends. Maybe some who don't hang around pubs laughing at others? (how old are they 12?)

Those kinds of people will just find something new they don't like about you, even if you could go without glasses altogether.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 1:44 pm

DanielW wrote:
anyone who makes fun of you for wearing glasses is NOT your friend. Save your money and invest in some new friends. Maybe some who don't hang around pubs laughing a others?

Those kinds of people will just find something new they don't like about you, even if you could go without glasses altogether.

Yes my thoughts exactley. I chose not to wear glasses 'socially' at the moment.

Most of my friends are actually well over 40. In fact the guy who makes fun of me for wearing spectacles is 65.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2022, 2:09 pm

Contact lenses might be a good option for you. I use disposable ones that last about a month. Previously I was wearing glasses since primary school.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 2:16 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Contact lenses might be a good option for you. I use disposable ones that last about a month. Previously I was wearing glasses since primary school.

Although I managed to get my contact lens in my eyes it was impossible for me to get them out of my eyes without assistance at specsavers. It required a certain technique.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2022, 2:20 pm

It can be a bit tricky to master putting them in or taking them out at first, but the optometrist or nurse should be able to explain how the technique works. I still battle now and again after all this time, but just have to stay calm and relaxed to get it done.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 2:29 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
It can be a bit tricky to master putting them in or taking them out at first, but the optometrist or nurse should be able to explain how the technique works. I still battle now and again after all this time, but just have to stay calm and relaxed to get it done.

My parents warned me that contacts are a nightmare to use.

I would have to agree since I nearly gave myself an eye injury trying to get them in and out of my eyes for the first time at specsavers.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 2:56 pm

I can't see why a 65 year old man would laugh at you for wearing spectacles.

Are you sure these people aren't just teasing you?

If not I would consider reviewing your situation where friends are concerned because they seem to have something seriously wrong with them.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 2:59 pm

babybird wrote:
I can't see why a 65 year old man would laugh at you for wearing spectacles.

Are you sure these people aren't just teasing you?

If not I would consider reviewing your situation where friends are concerned because they seem to have something seriously wrong with them.

Another thing maybe my parents discourage me from wearing glasses because it makes me look more stereotypically autistic and an easier target target to get bullied in social situations.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:01 pm

I wasn't aware that it is stereotypically autistic to wear glasses.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:04 pm

babybird wrote:

Before I purchased my glasses my mom advised me that ‘socially’ I might not want to wear them.

I remember the day I got my glasses a year ago from specsavers when I arrived home my parents kept bugging me to take them off.

Because I have artificial lenses in my eyes it’s a compromise basically I can see really well up close but my distance vision is not so great I need glasses to correct that problem.

Last edited by Jamesy on 23 Jun 2022, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:07 pm

I tried contact lenses but they made my eyes red and sore

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:11 pm

klanka wrote:
I tried contact lenses but they made my eyes red and sore

Yes like I mentioned my eyes were red and swollen when I first used contact lenses.

What’s strange is my parents both wear glasses yet they have a negative attitude about me wearing them.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:14 pm

Jamesy wrote:
babybird wrote:

Before I purchased my glasses my mom advised me that ‘socially’ I might not want to wear them.

I remember the day I got my glasses a year ago from specsavers when I arrived home my parents kept bugging me to take them off.

Because I have artificial lenses in my eyes it’s a compromise basically I can see really well up close but my distance vision is not so great I need glasses to correct that problem.

What do you mean by artificial lenses in your eyes?

What shape and size are your new glasses. Are they a bit too outrageous to be seen out in?

If they're only for long distances then why would you need to wear them in the pub?

I only need mine for long distances and I very rarely even take them out with me.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:17 pm

babybird wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
babybird wrote:

What do you mean by artificial lenses in your eyes?

What shape and size are your new glasses. Are they a bit too outrageous to be seen out in?

If they're only for long distances then why would you need to wear them in the pub?

I only need mine for long distances and I very rarely even take them out with me.

I have artificial lenses in my eyes because I have a family history of early onset cataracts. I used to play a lot of contact sports to which didn’t help much.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 4:39 pm

Jamesy wrote:
DanielW wrote:
anyone who makes fun of you for wearing glasses is NOT your friend. Save your money and invest in some new friends. Maybe some who don't hang around pubs laughing a others?

Yes my thoughts exactley. I chose not to wear glasses 'socially' at the moment.

Most of my friends are actually well over 40. In fact the guy who makes fun of me for wearing spectacles is 65.

Old, immature as*holes with toxic attitudes probably aren't the best company. He's giving you grief for something kids were bullied for decades ago, he hasn't matured or acknowledge that society has changed around him since he was a small child. How f*****g pathetic.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う