Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 1:55 am

Why do old injuries can still hurt?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 2:13 am

depends on the injury. with me, it was wear and tear on my joints that ails me. bone-on-bone arthritis in my SI/lumbar/hip joints. with worn joints, all one can do is to strengthen the muscles around the joints to better support the joint and minimize grinding of bone on bone. if you have more of a soft-tissue injury, a sprain for example, that can turn into adhesions and scar tissue if you don't do physical therapy on it. that can cause continuing pain long after an injury. the adhesions interfere with the proper biomechanics of the injured area which causes strain on surrounding tissues/muscles, that causes inflammation which impinges on nerves, ergo PAIN. i would see a good physical therapist or chiropractor/osteopath.

AedanKidd
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2022, 5:06 am

A very long time ago I had an operation on my intestines and still every morning I have a pain somewhere in the place of my stomach. I'm not sure if it's a phantom pain or if I have cancer, but the fact remains.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 5:56 am

^^^perhaps an adhesion. those can be fixed laparoscopically if they get worse.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 7:42 am

auntblabby got it.

Scar tissue. Loss of tissue. Poor healing for numerous reasons. Direct nerve damage. Complications of any surgery to fix such doing some of the prior things. Susceptibility to infection. It can even trigger autoimmune issues. Throw in emotional stress exacerbating it all, sometimes even triggering things.

I'll give a really funny anecdote (maybe not funny): physical trauma to my face as a kid. About 30ish years later I develop a very rare condition, albeit mild in appearance, Parry-Romberg syndrome, to the area of trauma. Slight wasting of the left cheek where the initial trauma happened. Which in turn leads to compression of the trigeminal nerve leading to trigeminal neuralgia. Butterfly effect? Domino effect?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 12:02 pm

Sometimes it's because they never healed properly. Muscles/tendons/joints out of place and not moving how they should Because people don't often get proper physiotherapy to help guide them to exercise/stretch in Proper form during healing in order to have things heal up in the place/position they're supposed to be in.. instead, people just avoid using a leg/arm etc that's injured and just let it heal however it's dangling.. then end up with a limp and some pain.

Could be other things, too, like nerve damage.