Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 4:06 pm

How many of you are autistic and have scoliosis? I recently saw the orthopaedic team about my worsening balance and tendency to lean forward. Also about my chronic back pain.My balance, coordination and gait have never good/normal..
but have worsened in the last 18 months or so. A physical check revealed I had curvature of the spine. I was told that judging by its length it had been there at least as far back as my youth.
My youngest niece had it, but hers was far worse than mine. She had to have an op for it. If you have it how do you cope with it?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 4:31 pm

There seems to be greater correlation between scoliosis and old age than between scoliosis and ASDs.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 5:23 pm

Thanks Fnord. I'm the same age as you,give or take a few months.

Orwells Ghost
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2021, 10:47 am

I don’t have scoliosis, but I do have spinobifida occulta and fused verteebrae — and lower back pain!

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Sep 2022, 3:21 am

I have scoliosis, I'm only 34 but my back is very stiff and I have a kind of bad S-curve. I have thrown out my lower back a few times badly. I have lots of sleep issues so there's no way for me to get any sleep in a healthy position, so I am in torque all night. Most mornings I bet I look like I'm twice my age with holding my lower back and my other hip and shoulder higher than the other one until I stretch and get it back to normal :P

The biggest contributing factor I would say is my executive dysfunction. I get stuck into really bad positions for hours. I tried having an alarm for that but it was just too shocking. Also, I don't have any ergonomic options for my computer so I'm always sitting weirdly. When I'm not sitting I'm doing housework and as a tallish person, everything in my house is incredibly unergonomic for me, I'm always hunched over, and especially after prepping vegetables or doing the dishes my back often goes numb and stiff. I haven't really thought of good solutions to this.

I have found some good yoga exercises for my back that ease a bit of pain and take off pressure but of course, I don't remember to do them daily. It would be for the best to get some walking in daily but I can't because of sensitivities and brain fog and such so I tend to do long walks when I can which isn't optimal. Now I am also trying to learn about Qigong a bit.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2022, 9:12 pm

Recently did 1 hour and 30 minutes of yoga, and I am happy to go again.
What surprised me that this session was done with special aim for back problems, but it is a set of yoga exercises.
After finishing I was able to run finally without pain.
That day I went out in the evening, quite spontaneously, after watching a movie about running, thinking, I did run today, why not finally try run for real.
So I went out and ran. It was amazing.

I have had scoliosis since I was told at very young age, and doctor at that time told me to do things like swimming and riding bikes.

Personally now days its swimming, yoga, and running or walking.
Its very good for back too.
Unfortunately its not always easy to do.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 9:33 pm

^I'm very glad I'm not tall. Most of the tall people I know have back pain of some sort. An ex-boyfriend was 194cm (6'4") and had chronic neck problems from his early 20s.

As for me, I have scoliosis caused by more muscle on one side of my spine than the other. It's slight though. I also have spina bifida occulta just below my neck which I've been told is rare because most people who have it, have it in their lower backs. And now that I'm middle-aged, I have facet joint degeneration in my lower back. A CT scan picked it up, I wouldn't have known otherwise because I don't have pain there.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 9:38 pm

My daughter has mild scoliosis and she's HFA.
She and I were born with a very early stage of Spina Bifida as well.
In our case the SB and ASD are genetic.
I'm not sure how the scoliosis fits in, as it wasn't fully investigated.
She does have Lupus which affects bones and joints -- so maybe that plays a part too.