What does this mean? (Related to diet and consumption)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2023, 7:31 pm

Whenever I consume some amount of sugar (say, about at least around 5-10g worth of sugar) in weekends...

Mostly to wind down, to enjoy it. It could be a drink or a pastry... It doesn't matter in what form.
Except purely fruits apparently.

... A whole day off of Sunday and then on the following Monday, half the things I do at work gets wrong.

And it took like 2-3 days of not consuming more for me to 'start adjusting'.

Then the cycle would repeat itself. Some weeks are worse, some weeks are better.

This doesn't take account to other factors like sleep, screen time, stress, hormones, how much I ate, etc...

Or what time. I could just consume the same amount -- the next thing I knew -- about less than a minute after -- half the things I do is 'wrong'.

By wrong, meaning being forgetful, more inattentive, being impulsive or indecisive, overall slower.
Or basically executive dysfunction related to cognitive processing and behavioral management.

If anything, it's like it didn't matter.
Didn't matter much unless I consumed 'that much sugar'. Fruits and vegetables don't count fortunately.

Now then...
When I abstained from whatever anything high sugar that isn't naturally from fruits, for about a week -- there are little to no bumps around whenever Monday comes.

So what does this mean?
How come I get cognitive symptoms when consuming by that much amount of sugar?
On that short amount of time after and on days long duration?

It's one thing to just tell me to cut sugar. I tried that, but even with my Sped teacher's recommendation I couldn't take seriously enough.

Maybe I'd take it seriously enough if I got diagnosed professionally and with numbers on paper in order to comply.

If so, how should I tell a gastroenterologist? Or an endocrinologist?

Other than foods...

Sometimes with medications.
Even something like 10mg of cetirizine.
Except the cognitive symptoms can span from 2 days to 2 weeks.

And while I get it that everyone has different bodies...
Is this somewhat more common to being autistic? Just to be safe.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2023, 8:41 pm

Mabuhay!

Not being a medical professional, I can only suggest asking your physician to run a glucose tolerance test.  It involves fasting 12-24 hours and then a blood draw.

I have mostly cut out manufactured sweets (i.e., candy, baked goods, et cetera), and rely on fresh fruits for my sugar intake -- mango and pineapple are my favorites.

Please get this checked soon.  Ayokong basahin na nagkasakit ka dahil sa high blood sugar.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 2:55 am

Thank you for your suggestion.
This would give me an idea of how to say about it to the doctor.

I also have another question...

If I consume at least half a tablespoon of iodized salt... My body temperature rises. It doesn't work the same with just table salt.

And for most of my life, my body isn't very tolerant to cold.
At first I thought it's just another sensory issue. As time goes by, I figured it's physical than just mere preference or in terms of tolerance in processing stimuli.

There's times when my feet and hands being always cold. It's almost always colder compared to many those I've met.

It was as if my body couldn't regulate it's own temperature.

So just earlier this year I figured that if it's a cold day, I'd sometimes just consume enough iodized salt to warm a bit.
Not particularly sweating, just warmer and a bit more awake.

It may or may not help that sometimes I crave salty food.

So why this bodily reaction?
I couldn't search it on the internet. Is something wrong with me this whole time?

I'm asking this question to know if it's normal at all, before asking any doctor.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 7:14 am

Edna, for this, I suggest talking to your physician about your thyroid.  I am not a physician -- I only know a few women who have expressed similar concerns, and some of them had thyroid issues.  If you can write down your concerns, it may be easier for you to express them to your doctor.

Ingat, ha?

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 8:29 am

Opo.

:mrgreen:

Thank you po.

October_Dream
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2023, 10:00 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Thank you for your suggestion.
This would give me an idea of how to say about it to the doctor.

I also have another question...

If I consume at least half a tablespoon of iodized salt... My body temperature rises. It doesn't work the same with just table salt.

And for most of my life, my body isn't very tolerant to cold.
At first I thought it's just another sensory issue. As time goes by, I figured it's physical than just mere preference or in terms of tolerance in processing stimuli.

There's times when my feet and hands being always cold. It's almost always colder compared to many those I've met.

It was as if my body couldn't regulate it's own temperature.

I have hypothyroidism and iodized salt makes me warm too, I agree you should get checked out. Before medication I felt cold all the way down to my bones just after sitting for a while.