Being overweight is now seen as the norm or to thin?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,176
Location: Near London United Kingdom

11 Mar 2024, 4:46 pm

When I used to weigh 140-145 pounds aged 24 at my height of 5ft8 my moms female friends said I needed to beef up.

Do you think perhaps 140-145 lbs is not exactly that skinny for my height but we as a western culture view being overweight/on the heavier side as the norm these days?



babybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 68,247
Location: UK

11 Mar 2024, 4:51 pm

I've noticed that being more fuller figured has become more fashionable especially for women. Not sure about men though

I suppose it's how ever you feel confident.


_________________
We have existence


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,176
Location: Near London United Kingdom

11 Mar 2024, 4:59 pm

babybird wrote:
I've noticed that being more fuller figured has become more fashionable especially for women. Not sure about men though

I suppose it's how ever you feel confident.



Would you say 140-150 lbs is a bit to thin for 5ft8?



honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,147
Location: 1Q84

11 Mar 2024, 5:01 pm

I would say that it's a lot more accepted than it was years ago. Being overweight is common, but just because it's common does not mean that it is good.

Being thin will always be popular.


_________________
dear god, dear god, tinkle tinkle hoy.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,176
Location: Near London United Kingdom

11 Mar 2024, 5:04 pm

honeytoast wrote:
I would say that it's a lot more accepted than it was years ago. Being overweight is common, but just because it's common does not mean that it is good.

Being thin will always be popular.



Maybe though 140-150 pound range is generally to thin for someone 5ft8



babybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 68,247
Location: UK

11 Mar 2024, 5:06 pm

honeytoast wrote:
I would say that it's a lot more accepted than it was years ago. Being overweight is common, but just because it's common does not mean that it is good.

Being thin will always be popular.


Agreed. I like to stay slim because it's matches how my brain works


_________________
We have existence


blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,787
Location: United Kingdom

11 Mar 2024, 5:09 pm

I think being skinny is more popular than being overweight for a man, especially with women.

I think that women would worry about a larger man and his eating habits and how that would influence her, I would imagine, in terms of dating.

People often date people who look like them. Thin/thin or big/big etc.



babybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 68,247
Location: UK

11 Mar 2024, 5:18 pm

It's weird because when I've put weight on I always feel more feminine and when I lose the weight I always feel like I'm a boy


_________________
We have existence


blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,787
Location: United Kingdom

11 Mar 2024, 5:20 pm

babybird wrote:
It's weird because when I've put weight on I always feel more feminine and when I lose the weight I always feel like I'm a boy


Well, if the weight goes to your chest, then that is understandable. 8)



babybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 68,247
Location: UK

11 Mar 2024, 5:24 pm

:lol: I think you have a point


_________________
We have existence


blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,787
Location: United Kingdom

11 Mar 2024, 5:24 pm

babybird wrote:
:lol: I think you have a point


:lol:



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,176
Location: Near London United Kingdom

11 Mar 2024, 5:51 pm

Very lowest I got down to was 10 years ago when I weighed 137 lbs when I would cycle for hours a day. These days I am on meds for mental health reasons and weigh currently 167 lbs but I do workout/lift weights.


Dunno maybe all that cardio I was doing in the old days was burning of the muscle? The meds I take for anxiety are propranolol, setraline and ariprazol.



honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,147
Location: 1Q84

11 Mar 2024, 6:23 pm

Jamesy wrote:
honeytoast wrote:
I would say that it's a lot more accepted than it was years ago. Being overweight is common, but just because it's common does not mean that it is good.

Being thin will always be popular.



Maybe though 140-150 pound range is generally to thin for someone 5ft8

I’m talking about in general, not a specific height.


_________________
dear god, dear god, tinkle tinkle hoy.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?


belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Dec 2023
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 954

11 Mar 2024, 7:08 pm

172 cm,65 kg?Maybe not skinny, but definitely not fat.If there's a fitness, anaerobic kind, you should be a little bit heavier than that.


_________________
For I so loved the world, that I gave My theory and method, that whosoever believeth in Me should not be oppressed, but have a liberated life. /sarc


vergil96
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2024
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 72

12 Mar 2024, 8:12 am

I feel like I get unwanted dietary advice from others too frequently that is geared towards losing weight and I'm normal weight. I have been thinner and believe me, it's not good to be too thin from a health standpoint. People give me unwanted advice to eat less, because... that is their ungrounded opinion? I'm thin, so clearly I eat the right amount, so I think perhaps they're being jealous or just don't think about how their "advice" is harmful? I mean, I literally have visible abs, how is that too fat?