Page 7 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

TubbyChef
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Aug 2006, 5:29 am

Just a couple more points (by the way, why is this thread in 'games sports and fitness'??).

Black duck - would you feel comfortable drinking human breast milk?. Because Cow milk is meant for calves, not for humans. We are the only species that carries on using milk after weaning, it's quite perverse really!. I know most of us are brought up thinking it's ok, but why would anyone actually want to drink a Cows breast milk, or eat a Chickens Period???

8O 8O

blackduck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2006, 6:07 pm

TubbyChef, I am enjoying sparing with you, but if I am offending you am I happy to drop it.

TubbyChef wrote:
Please do not patronise me, black duck, I have lived on a shooting estate.

Didn't mean to patronise.

I have never been to a UK shooting estate. Did you have grouse? A friend of mine hunts pheasants in the UK every year. Costs GBP600 per day. He says he can't afford grouse! Both too expensive for me.

TubbyChef wrote:
I just find it selfish and speciesist. Animals are not 'food' to me - period.

I have read Peter Singer too.

Singer advocates in one of his books that as a new born human is not yet owed anything by society, and if s/he is born severely physically or mentally ret*d, infanticide is OK, that human babies have no more rights than say white laboratory rats. I cannot accept that. Extending Singer's argument, if a new born baby is diagnosed with severe autism, would he say its ok to kill it?

What about vaccinating kids? Polio is all but cured. Would vegans be happy to see kids suffer from polio beacuse animal products cannot be used to manufacture vaccines?

TubbyChef wrote:
... it's just a line trotted out by those individuals who enjoy blasting non-human animals in the head with a gun.............I think it's comparable to the 'big car small dick' thing.

Actually while hunting has an adverse outcome for the individual animal, there is plenty of research that shows hunting is beneficial for the larger population (and I won't get personal if you don't).

PS - Last Friday, the Guardian Newspaper in the UK had this headline:
Animal Liberation Front bomber faces jail after admitting arson bids ... investigation into 7 or 8 similar offences.

Who are the terrorists?

TubbyChef
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Aug 2006, 4:22 am

Well, in answer to your points BD - I read Singer's book approximately 16 years ago and I certainly form my own opinions so my words are my own words, not his. I don't necessarily agree with all his concepts, either - he's not even a Vegan!.

Secondly, the estate where I lived was a Pheasant shooting estate - and, yes, I know this is different to shooting 'wild game' but to me it's often done for the same reasons. Sorry to be personal but often people who shoot for fun, anyway (e.g rather than actual need for food, etc) do it for some kind of power trip.

As for vaccinations, it's a tricky one. Many diseases have all but disappeared because of better sanitation and health care/knowledge. Personally I did have my own son vaccinated but was unhappy about doing so, many Vegans will not do this. Unfortunately Veganism is always going to be about compromise because animals are 'involved' in almost everything - but I don't think they should be!. Simply put, why have we the right to use another species for own our ends?.

Yes, you can quote me all you want about 'violent' attacks by the A.L.F, etc. Not all Vegans are 'violent' though, in fact most are not. I could also quote you thousands of ways in which animals are tortured and abused every single second of every single day...........so, yes, who are the terrorists?.

I'm also enjoying our discussions. I will try not to get personal, it's not clever, but please understand that I feel very passionately about this subject. I am also opposed to bullying and segregation of human beings, and cruelty of any kind, I hate injustice. I just chose to focus on animals because I have always felt a great deal of empathy for those who cannot speak for themselves. However, I do 'fight' for the rights of any person or animals that I believe needs my help - just ask my son's teachers at his school!! ! (he has Aspergers).

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2006, 6:50 pm

Actually we agree on quite a bit.

I do not like the way animals are treated in abbotairs. I especially hate battery hen farms and never buy cage eggs or chickens. I care for the environment, and believe that if you look after wild habitat, that wild animals will take care of themselves. I care for wild animals "as a whole" and hunt individual animals.

I get a bit full on too.

Kind regards

Last edited by BazzaMcKenzie on 27 Aug 2006, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2006, 9:24 pm

Temple Grandin is a high functioning autistic woman who lives in the USA. She is recognised as an expert in animal psychology, and works as a consultant for abbatoirs.

It is said that, by virtue of her ability to empathise with cattle/see the world through their eyes, she modifies abbatoirs so that the cows move through the system quickly & efficiently & remain relaxed right up to the moment of death.

Im not trying to debate any point with this post particularly (im a pescetarian btw), i just thought id mention it here because of the autism connection.

TubbyChef
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Aug 2006, 3:59 am

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
TubbyChef wrote:
Maybe we have actually finished the Vegan discussion. I know I come off a bit full-on at times but actually I dislike a lot of other Vegans (I have known many over the years) as they are somewhat judgmental and patronising!.
I'm a down-to-earth realist type Vegan!. I just do what I can.
We'll agree to disagree, shall we?. :D

I do not like the way animals are treated in abbotairs. I especially hate battery hen farms and never buy cage eggs or chickens. I care for the environment, and believe that if you look after wild habitat, that wild animals will take care of themselves. I care for wild animals "as a whole" and hunt individual animals.

I get a bit full on too.

Kind regards

Whilst I appreciate your 'kind regards' and the fact that we have managed to finish our personal debate cleanly, I'm a bit pissed off that you have posted a private message in this space. Please don't do that to me again :evil:

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2006, 11:02 pm

Update: I still love meat.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 6:10 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:

Kind regards

But vegans are still fanatical zealots who support (at least indirectly) a terrorist organisation - PETA and ALF.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 6:33 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
BazzaMcKenzie wrote:

Kind regards

But vegans are still fanatical zealots who support (at least indirectly) a terrorist organisation - PETA and ALF.

I resent your implications, sir. ALF was not an animal-rights activist. Remember, he ate cats.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 7:12 pm

below is the text of an email I just got. I think its relevent (sorry if a bit long)

HEALTH QUESTIONS & ANSWERS by Dr. Krusty

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat?
Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have body fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!! ! Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy? HELLO ...... Cocoa beans, another vegetable!! ! It's the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets and remember,

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand – meat pie in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 9:18 pm

After reading that post, I have decided that I will become a carnitarian.

Duku
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Sep 2007, 2:09 am

As for me, reading these posts will not change my diet.

We had (in the family) a time when we were all vegetarians (after Chernobyl, that explains the reasons enough). WE sometimes eat soy bean and tofu... So, last year when I made this decision, it was not too hard to follow through.

:arrow: although these posts may help us rethink our dietary situation, eventually, one should ask the question(s) :

- Would we rather eat meatstock, or would we not ?
- Would we rather eat vegetal products, or not ?
- Would we rather have an all-round diet, or omit certain foods ?
- Would we rather have a diet "free" from murder, cholesterol, fat, ... (and/ or guilt) ?

:arrow: Or, for what reasons? Be it beliefs, views, ethics, morals, etc... ?

TubbyChef wrote:
Um, Fish *is* meat - dead Fish meat! - e.g NOT included in a VEGEtarian diet!.

Indeed, so as chicken.
Some of my relatives claim to be vegetarians and still eat chicken. I eat fisf (and seafood) only for a source of protein, and because I like it

Quote:
Some "vetetarians" I know are happy to eat seafood but not meat. This never makes sense to me.

as chicken to me.
But, I get the impression that certian forms of vegetarianism only omits "red" meat diet (e.g. lamb, pork, beef, ...)

blackduck wrote:
Nobody's hands are free from the blood of other animals, not even vegetarians

Not that I agree, but good point. Then again, if we really thought about it, what to eat, then?

Quote:
And if they can come up with a way for child molesters and mass murderers to die relativeley painless deaths, surely they can let my food die the same way

Either way, it is a form similar to capital punishment (i.e. giving them the electric chair, or that fatal dose)... Besides, we are no gods to do that.

Quote:
I find it so very depressing that I even have to have this conversation - if i had just one wish it would be for the world to be a Vegan World - for the Planet, the Animals, and for Humanity and Compassion

The more I think of it, the more my resolve to be one increases.

NB: Yogis and buddhist monks are vegans. Yet they don't certain vegetables (e.g. onion, garlic or other vegetables growing underground) as it goes against their beliefs.

:arrow: I am not (yet) a "non-meat" eater for the slaughter. Yet I chose to be for the diseases that come with the meat stock.

:arrow: True, genetically modified vegetables/ fruits are not good. We must take care on what we eat...(Living in the countryside, with a large garden is a good solution to this problem, at least for our OWN healthy diet).

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 4:16 pm

Serissa wrote:
This is true and I admit it; however if you go long enough without meat you kind of forget what it used to taste like and veggieburgers are an accpetable alternative due to the fact that you've forgotten that meat tastes better. ;) ((This is not to try to convert you, but to say it did stop bothering me after awhile.))

Not everyone does think meat tastes better. Meat really, really disgusts me. In fact, I get physically ill from eating it, and I associate the smells of cooking meat with nausea. I won't eat meat substitutes that are flavoured like meat at all, rather I eat things like black bean burgers.

I'm actually vegetarian because I can't tolerate meat, and I still get a hard time.

loudmouth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2007, 6:10 pm

In the case of Vegans I think it stems form people like PETA who are the biggest hypocrits in the field of Animal Rights. They fund people who bomb college labs (i.e. terrorism) support orginidsation who think meat eaters should start being killed by policy. And in the case of the vice peresident speak against animal tested medical products while using animal tested products.

I personally feel no disgust at the way we make our meat in the case of cows an chickens we're talking animal with pbainr on a functional level the size of a pea and walnut. and the steriods thats more of a disgusting business practice than cruelty to me. I love meat will never support Meat is murder philosophy, in fact i find it a sign of weakness.

look up "animal Scam' it's prety disturbing PETA hasn't be arrested for funding Eco Terrorism.

(NSFW language)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ijLulwUTY

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

10 Oct 2007, 2:47 am

Serissa wrote:
This is not meant to be a rant, exactly, but simply to point out a definite trend of what nearly amounts to prejudice.

I find it kind of funny and kind of sad that so many people can be personally offended if someone is a vegan or a vegetarian and immediately demand a convincing argument in favor of their food choices. ((I'm not a vegan, I am a vegetarian, but I can still speak from personal experience on the basic point I'm making.)) If I were to say "I never eat oatmeal" then I doubt it would get the same reaction as "I never eat meat."

If it were oatmeal the person would likely say some derivative of either commiseration, a defense of oatmeal as a healthy choice of food, a defense of oatmeal as "yummy" or a simply query as to why oatmeal was distasteful. The conversation would be allowed to end after one more round of responding more likely than not, as in, "yes, it's healthy but I eat _ instead" being sufficient for the first option, "I really don't like the taste/texture" being a good enough defense against the second or fourth option, and the third option requiring no defense. There is generally no offense taken to not choosing to eat oatmeal, or whatever you're choosing not to eat.

However when the conversation comes around to meat, if the person eats meat, the first question is "do you eat fish/do you eat chicken?" Then, "Why are you a vegetarian?" OR "It's not healthy to be a vegetarian" OR some kind of response which questions the "moral superiority" of vegetarianism- EVEN IF NO SUCH MORAL SUPERIORITY WAS MENTIONED. The topic will then drag on until the other person feels vindicated, not until it had been addressed. People who find out you do not eat meat will ask you every time they see you if you are taking supplements or have gotten enough protein, will flaunt hamburgers or whatever they're eating in front of you and say "MMMMMMMMM. Good" or try to give you a new reason why vegetarians are causing more harm than good in the world every time they see you.

I do not claim to be morally superior for being a vegetarian. I DO eat enough protein (although it's more convenient if not necessarily easier for me than a vegan as I do eat dairy products and eggs). I have my own reasons for not eating meat and I really should not need to justify them. Yet, people tend to be extremely offended on some basic level by the idea of not eating meat; not only will they argue but they generally want to "convert" me and would take it as a personal victory if I had a hamburger or something.

It feels a lot like harassment to me. My dad told a couple of people that I am a vegetarian the other day and they set in on me; I told him not to tell anyone else because of it. It's like I have to be "in the closet" about it. It just seems unfair.

I have been vegetarian for about 5-6 months and vegan for about two and a half months. I have been lectured several times about how I am going to turn pale and my bones are going to break etc. But I know that wont happen because I am getting the right nutrients.

I have also had that "if you were starving on a mountain with only a cow to eat, would you eat it?" type of question. Really is irritating that people just don't think. I don't go around asking meat eaters, "if you were stuck on a mountian with only a crop of corn, would you eat it,?. :lol:

I also have to feel that sometimes I have to keep my veganism to myself because I don't want to be lectured about it. Thats the sad thing about this world...no one accepts ANYTHING different from the "norm".

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 7:50 pm

Well, I have been fluctuating between vegetarianism and veganism since I was 18-19 and am now 41.
My health is good considering other factors like homelessness and poverty and I am aging well or so I am told, lol.

I never enjoyed meat in spite of being raised by the daughter of a dairy farmer, I always found it distasteful and the smell of searing flesh was never a 'homely' smell. As a child I was pumped full of dairy products and as a result of the ill effects on my lactose intolerant body a lot of unnecessary antibiotics.

I still eat fish, fermented dairy and free range eggs because I believe it is ok to be a hunter gatherer or to live in communion with animals, I have no moral problem with meat eating but with the methods of meat procurement. I believe that all living things have a right to life and liberty, however things eat things including the Gaiasphere that will consume my rotting remains. However to contain against their will and killing without good reason or without respect is in my opinion wrong and most westerners eat way more meat than would be naturally attained purely out of self indulgent greed with little regard for the means by which it is attained.
Generally I keep this opinion to myself as being 'abnormal' alone has earned me abuse and harassment let alone actually voicing my opinions, lol.
At the end of the day the planet cannot sustain meat production as it is the most inefficient way of producing protein and the adverse impact of an out of balance planet will be the end of all complex organisms, so, even if you like meat, even if you think animals are stupid and deserve to be eaten, well common sense says that destroying our planet to satisfy a simple hunger is even stupider than most 'dumb' animals which given freedom of movement will move on before destroying the balance of where they are.
Lastly, it's odd that a thread started for we vegetarians/vegans to discuss harassment has been used to score points off us! If you don't like us because we are weirding you out - well piss off, you are not funny and this is our thread for us to discuss our problems not for you to come and score cheap thrills, peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!