Page 5 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 10:28 pm

Martial Arts Rocks and they build character too.

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 2:55 pm

I used to do martial arts, however an injury made me have to drop out and I never got back into it. However I do practice small gymnastics, but that's not a martial art...

coregazer
Toucan
Toucan

22 Apr 2008, 4:04 pm

tae kwon do, the kicking martial art, love it, always have, its a dream... green belt in it atm... but shamefully iv had to temporarily quit for reasons ill post in the form of a thread verry soon

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 8:59 pm

i took taekwondo as a child, was almost a red belt (2 stripe green belt) but high school and boredom (doing the same high block and front snap kick all the time) was annoying. anyway taekwondo helps alot.

amaren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2008, 9:41 am

I do sportfighting, girls version, so we're not allowed to hit people in the face because they don't want their pretty noses broken. I was really glad to get into it, because I'm quite aggressive and violent by nature, and I kept hurting people by accident because I seem not to feel pain like they do, but these are great qualities for sportfighting - I can beat people 20kg heavier than me :twisted:

darkscorpion
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2008, 7:41 am

i currently do judo and will be taking up karate in a few months time!

Space
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:19 am

darkscorpion wrote:

I suggest you take kyokushin karate, or another kind that relies on sparring. If you take shotokan or other karate that relies on Katas and not sparring, you will not learn how to fight properly. Also, muay thai kickboxing is very good, it relies on sparring and is a real fight sport. You will really learn how to fight if you take that. Judo is very good too.

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2008, 4:06 am

Space wrote:
darkscorpion wrote:

I suggest you take kyokushin karate, or another kind that relies on sparring. If you take shotokan or other karate that relies on Katas and not sparring, you will not learn how to fight properly. Also, muay thai kickboxing is very good, it relies on sparring and is a real fight sport. You will really learn how to fight if you take that. Judo is very good too.

Depends what he wants Space. Not everyone wants to learn how to fight. I know I didn't when I started training martial arts.

doubtful
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2008, 1:25 pm

Space wrote:
Muay thai. I did a bit of BJJ, but I didn't enjoy it as much. I would rather knock someone out than roll around on the ground trying to get a chokehold on them.

I have the same issue with BJJ. I think it's great, but I don't particularly enjoy the idea of rolling around the ground with another guy. I'd probably take it up this summer though.

Anyway, real combat was on the war field, in real time, not in the confines of a ring. Most arts don't have much ground fighting because if you roll about the ground too much, you get speared from above. BJJ is specifically designed for competition matches, and the original Ju Jitsu, designed for warfare, didn't emphasize ground fighting as much.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 2:42 pm

I think BJJ is really overrated. If you get into a fight in a parking lot, it's probably going to be over in a few punches. Learn boxing or muay thai, put some muscle on, and you'll be able to beat up at least 90% of people on the street.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 12:31 am

Shodan in Aikido, here - have been training for 8 years. I love it.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 10:08 pm

I'm testing for Purple Belt next Friday in Kumdo (6th Keup)

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2008, 3:06 am

Hey JerryHatake,

I hope the belt test goes great for you. Do well!

Steve
--
"I can make it, I know I can.
You broke the boy in me, but you won't break the man."
--John Parr, "Man in Motion"

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2008, 3:26 am

Space wrote:
If you get into a fight in a parking lot, it's probably going to be over in a few punches.

Space, I have to agree with you here, unfortunately, from my own experience. Such a fight happened to me some years ago, over a parking space no less. It's embarrassing really even to mention it, but that experience does emphasize your point.

I had been in a hurry because I was running late to get to an appointment. (My haste ended up making me even later and not looking my best on top of it.) I had hurried and beaten another driver to a parking space. It wasn't a hostile move, but the guy was angry about it. He left his car quickly, without even parking it properly, and was in my face and started pushing his finger into my chest while yelling at me. I told him to calm down and stop pushing me. He didn't, so I threw the first punch. He had obviously had some training in boxing because he answered back quickly. I threw more straight punches and, after we each had thrown 5 or 6 punches, he walked away, yelling at me as he backed away from me.

I didn't pursue him. I was even more angry at myself for being later for my meeting. Also, neither of us had thought to take our glasses off before the punches started flying, so we both ended up with eyeglasses busted on the pavement, which meant I couldn't drive home and had to spend about $200 for a new pair. Ugh.

I also had to explain to the client and apologize for being late, as well as having to convince him that I was not some irresponsible kid who got into street fights regularly and had a reckless temper. I learned at least two lessons from this unpleasant encounter.

First, as you said, the fight probably will be over in a few punches, and that's a good thing because longer fights would suggest a much greater chance for serious injury!

Second, avoid all fights whenever possible. It's not worth getting hurt or killed.

Steve
--
"I can make it, I know I can.
You broke the boy in me, but you won't break the man."
--John Parr, "Man in Motion"

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2008, 3:59 am

Space wrote:
I think BJJ is really overrated. If you get into a fight in a parking lot, it's probably going to be over in a few punches. Learn boxing or muay thai, put some muscle on, and you'll be able to beat up at least 90% of people on the street.

I have to disagree with you here Space. Although I am primarily a standup fighter I train MMA/submission wrestling which is effectively no-gi BJJ. I have had numerous altercations where I have to defend myself or a friend from an attacker. I could have let fists fly but in the circumstances I chose to subdue the attacker with the minimum of force necessary. I guillotined two people, Rear naked another and Kimura a fourth person all whilst standing (not at the same time!). They all sustained virtually no injury and more importantly neither did I or my friends. I also been caught from the side by headlocks and tackles. Each time I've managed to turn the tables and dump them on their arse or at least land on top and extricate myself very quickly. I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without knowing BJJ. But yeah I have had to punch people on occasion and I've also had to run too lol.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 11:38 am

regularguy wrote:
Hey JerryHatake,

I hope the belt test goes great for you. Do well!

Thanks, Regular!! 8)