Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

markun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2011, 7:43 am

Does anyone here swim? I'm thinking of starting but I'm very anxious about it. The pool is a five minute walk from where I live but I have never been there and am nervous about going.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 6:03 pm

I don't swim all the time, but I recommend running for exercise. But that's just my opinion.

bdubs
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jul 2011, 11:23 pm

I love to swim! I use to be on my high school swim team. Swimming is an amazing cardio workout because it uses all of your body. It is also low impact so it is better for your joints. Hopefully you know how to trend water bc before you start swimming to exercise that is the first step. If you don't know how to that I recommend going with someone and them teaching you for safety reasons. As you progress then can start freestyle or the crawl and start swimming laps. eventually you will learn how to flip turn when you reach the end of the pool. Breaststroke and backstroke are fun too. Fly is the hardest stroke in my opinion bc it is hard to synchronize the kick with the fly stroke. Once you learn it looks amazing and you feel like a dolphin. Check out youtube for pointers.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 7:44 am

markun wrote:
Does anyone here swim? I'm thinking of starting but I'm very anxious about it. The pool is a five minute walk from where I live but I have never been there and am nervous about going.

You won't regret it. Swimming is one of the best physical activities there is. Unfortunately, I can't afford a gym membership with my current wage, but I really miss swimming.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:16 am

I looooooooove swimming,just not in pools though.UGH I had so many Staph infections from those gross places. :x 8O Ocean swimming is the way to go! I've done a few mile long swims,love it!
I like breaststroke the most,but it's not so good for you knees over time,I also like side stroke,it really does work your abdominals and legs.I've never been able to do butterfly,or freestyle,like backstroke but it's a bit dangerous :lol:

Smartgirl56
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2011, 11:18 pm

I'm on the high school swim team and I love it. It is defiantly worth trying because it works out your whole body and is lots of fun

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 4:13 pm

I love to swim, but not in public pools.
The hygiene issues + the other people (quite-possibly screaming, yelling children) + the thought of me in a swimsuit makes me 8O

It is by far my favorite form of exercise, though.

to his Interest."

markun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2011, 6:51 pm

I know how to swim basic strokes but it's other people and a new environment that worry me. I thought of going at 06:30 in the morning when it might be less stressful.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 7:45 pm

I don't see that knowing any specific strokes is required, just moving and utilizing the resistance of water as opposed to air. :?

to his Interest."

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm

markun wrote:

I think it's a good idea to try it, as swimming is some of the best cardio you can get. Swimming and the elliptical is what I do at the gym. I just got a membership at L.A. Doucheness (L.A. Fitness) and they have a 25 meter indoor pool. The only down side is coordinating your strokes with turning your head to take a breath. You can use the side arm stroke, though.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 10:54 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
I don't swim all the time, but I recommend running for exercise. But that's just my opinion.

And THAT'S why I won't date you! You and all that running. Sheesh...

wait, wrong thread.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 3:19 pm

markun wrote:

Is it indoors or outdoors?
Going to a new place to do a new thing in a not-often worn outfit might be more 'new" bits than you need to deal with all at once.

Can you walk there sometime when it's closed and just get used to the area before commiting to go there to swim?
Check the place out. Pace around a bit. Know you're going home after you do.
That's what I've sometimes done when I know I'm going to be nervous about an upcoming activity in a new location.