Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 2:39 am

It seems that a cure for HIV might be just around the corner. It seems the HIV virus does in fact have a weakness, part of the virus is unchangeable which leaves it open to be attacked. HIV's most potent weapon is not that it strips the immune system bear it is the fact that it mutates so effectively. By attacking part of the virus that does not change we might have hope in getting rid of HIV for good.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,395941,00.html

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 2:57 am

it would be great if they can use the same idea for hep c.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 3:06 am

It's an intriguing concept, having enzymatic antibodies.

On sabbatical...

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 6:37 am

Many of us are pretty safe from catching HIV.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 7:45 am

Having knowledge of its transmission vectors keeps me safe from HIV.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 8:06 am

spudnik wrote:
it would be great if they can use the same idea for hep c.

I never thought of that but I suppose if Hep c had a similar weakness this idea could also be used against it as well.

I would also like to remind everyone that none of us are 100% safe. Please remember that HIV's nature is to change could so in theory one day give it the ability to infect in different ways.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 10:00 am

Good news. I hope they succeed. Forget the "christian" line "HIV was given by God to control sinful sex". I don't believe that, really. Some people obviously still sleep together regardless, and rapes done by strangers do still happen. I don't feel safe with it around much more than I do with cancer. Good point there. If it changed so that it got airborn.. Oh @#$%! :pale:

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 10:33 am

LiendaBalla wrote:
Good news. I hope they succeed. Forget the "christian" line "HIV was given by God to control sinful sex". I don't believe that, really. Some people obviously still sleep together regardless, and rapes done by strangers do still happen. I don't feel safe with it around much more than I do with cancer. Good point there. If it changed so that it got airborn.. Oh @#$%! :pale:

Air born would = we are screwed in a major way.

Anyways only some Christians actually believe that god made HIV as a punishment some of us actually have brains. In the words of Blanch from the golden girls "AIDS is not a "bad person's disease" and is not a punishment.

michel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 10:41 am

I hope they succeed. What makes this a much less legitimate claim, however, is that it comes from Fox News, the absolute least reliable news station in the country, perhaps in all of the free world.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 10:50 am

michel wrote:
I hope they succeed. What makes this a much less legitimate claim, however, is that it comes from Fox News, the absolute least reliable news station in the country, perhaps in all of the free world.

Its not just on Fox news its on other networks too ^_^. Sorry it was like 3:30 last night when I went to go get hard evidence, I actually saw the story on logoonline.com first.

michel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 10:55 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
Anyways only some Christians actually believe that god made HIV as a punishment some of us actually have brains. In the words of Blanch from the golden girls "AIDS is not a "bad person's disease" and is not a punishment.

Hilarious reference. Yes, Blanche is right, unless some ignorant people want to tell me that all those millions of African babies are low life sluts. :?

When Donna Summers, who was a very popular singer in the 70's and 80's, came out and said publicly that "Gays have brought this upon them, Aids is their sin", her record sales plummeted by 98% (!). No, that's not a typo, ninety eight percent less sales. Overnight, like magic, she went from an icon to persona non gratta; suddenly, you couldn't give her records away. Anytime a club would play her songs, the dance floor would instantly disappear and there would be a chorus of boos and sometimes people would throw beer bottles at the DJ for playing her songs. Remember, this was at a time when people were dropping like flies of the disease, there was no meds for it yet back then. I was only a kid, but I remember it so well. She has since apologized again and again, but sadly for the b***h, her career never ever recuperated, despite a great voice and great tunes.

Moral of the story: don't bite the hand that feeds you. HIV does not discriminate.

Last edited by michel on 09 Aug 2008, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 11:22 am

I know HIV is like any other disease it does not discriminate it attacks anyone it can.

michel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 11:24 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
Its not just on Fox news its on other networks too ^_^. Sorry it was like 3:30 last night when I went to go get hard evidence, I actually saw the story on logoonline.com first.

Sorry, it's just that I have this thing against Fox, they seem to always distort the truth and misquote people, and I hate Bill O'Reilly. They call themselves "Fair and Balanced" and they are everything but that. Of course, I'm talking mostly in the political arena, this has relatively little to do with that...

In any case, let's hope they do find a cure, how amazing would that be! :P

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 11:41 am

Death ensures 100% safety from AIDS. While you're still alive, it's considerably less than 100%. At no time in in life are we 100% safe from anything.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 9:44 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Death ensures 100% safety from AIDS. While you're still alive, it's considerably less than 100%. At no time in in life are we 100% safe from anything.

Yeah only problem with death is your kinda not doing anything your DEAD but I get your point.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 10:10 pm

But promiscuous sex w/o multiple partners and no protection is not a good idea. Don't tempt the AIDS, fellas.