Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

NovaBat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jan 2009, 12:36 pm

Who else here works out? I just started working out the the YMCA recently, and am trying to lose weight (I weigh about 180, and I'm 5'1). I need to get the pounds off because I'm gaining quickly (I also may have PCOS, so it makes losing harder), and both my parents are diabetic. I'm now looking into good diets. Anyone know of any diets that would be good for young adult overweight females? :P I like to eat cheese and drink coffee, and I still want to eat chocolate. Is there a way I can somehow still eat these frequently?

-NovaBat

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 4:41 pm

Well I'm no kind of expert, but I think it's not so much what you eat, but how much of it. Portion size in this country has gotten crazy, it's no wonder so many people are overweight. Think about it, 30 years ago a regular McDonald's meal was a small hamburger, small fries, small drink. Now that's the kiddie meal, if even that. Compare that to a double quarter pounder meal, supersized....
So I would think your start bet would be to find a book that gives "proper" portion sizes. And eat more fruits and vegetables, preferably raw.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 5:00 pm

I have found great success with using Alli. It keeps 25% of all the fat you eat from being digested and just sends it through the bowel to be eliminated. You are constrained to limit your fat grams to 19 grams per meal, though, or you won't be happy with the gastric distress.

(actually I found that to be a very compelling reason to pass up the free pizza at work, or not fall for that croissant at the bakery!)

The point is, if you are losing 2 to 3 lbs a week on a balanced diet you can lose 1 to 1 1/2 lbs more with Alli. I have lost 21.5 lbs since Nov 1, 2008, and continue steadily losing.

Merle

NovaBat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jan 2009, 5:06 pm

I would be tempted to use alli...probably still am, but I already have IBS, so that's not exactly something I want to deal with on a greater scale. :/

-NovaBat

Wurzel
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2009, 12:19 am

The paleolithic diet is the best diet there is.

27.5% seafood
27.5% lean meat
15% nuts
15% vegetables
15% fruit

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 12:24 am

Wurzel wrote:
The paleolithic diet is the best diet there is.

27.5% seafood
27.5% lean meat
15% nuts
15% vegetables
15% fruit

I don't think the Paleolithic that lived inland ate much seafood.

Merle

NovaBat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jan 2009, 12:39 pm

No, the Paleolithic that lived inland wouldn't have had fish. However, the ones that lived by the sea or bodies of water, would have. Therefore, it's given the name "Paleolithic" to summarize, not to be entirely accurate to the diet of one place.

I do believe that humans should eat foods closer to what we ate before. So yeah, I might consider that option.

-NovaBat

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 10:50 pm

NovaBat wrote:
No, the Paleolithic that lived inland wouldn't have had fish. However, the ones that lived by the sea or bodies of water, would have. Therefore, it's given the name "Paleolithic" to summarize, not to be entirely accurate to the diet of one place.

I do believe that humans should eat foods closer to what we ate before. So yeah, I might consider that option.

-NovaBat

and I thought they called it the Paleolithic because it was between the Pliocene and the Mesolithic :wink: I looked up the diet on wikipedia, it certainly had a lot of roughage!

Here's a link I found : http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

Merle

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 2:28 am

I made a topic about my diet and lost over 35 pounds on it, I will try to find it and post the info on here.

I Want To Become Stronger...
... Than I Was Yesterday!! !! - The words in my avatar picture.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 2:35 am

I posted somewhere else that I was a self-taught nutritionist well I lost thirty-five pounds by doing reasearch on many things. It isn't anything new, just very powerful combinations of eating right. Key ingredients include:

Noni,
Goji,
Pomegranate,
Green tea,
Figure eight fiber mix,
Protein bars as main source of calories,
Soy protein for heart health (kirkland signature organic vanilla soymilk for vitamins etcetera and seapoint farms dry roasted edamame soy beans as a snack)
Greens to go,
Red grapefruit,
and plenty of water if you can fit it in without constantly rushing to the bathroom from the other liquids mentioned.
If you want to save some time and money, the first four key ingredients can be found in a single product; Renew Complete Cleansing System. I only used it for the two day trial period but did lose a few extra pounds in that short amount of time.

Ingredients I don't use but recommend:
Alpha Lipoic Acid,
and GQ10 (200 mg)

Also I did VERY little excercise, who has time to execercise all the time anyway? I hope this helps some of you out because it sure made an impact on me. I have tried so many things before and Weight Watchers was the best but it was so hard for me to keep track of food points that I just gave up on it. I get most of these products in my local Costco but the Renew must be ordered form their website (don't remember it right now) and the figure eight must be ordered from gofigure8.com

The only hard part is creating your own diet plan, I don't recommend the overload on protein for women. I have found veggie meatballs and veggie burgers are great substitutes for women and theres always Subway.

I Want To Become Stronger...
... Than I Was Yesterday!! !! - The words in my avatar picture.

electriclight
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2009, 10:35 pm

One idea that ive been doing (for water retension) is to drink a glass of water with the juice of half a lemon in it.I havent had bloat and my energy levels are way better.The lemon makes your cells let go of excess salt in them thus helping with weight loss.Ive been doing this for 2 weeks first thing in the morning and i swear by it.

Wurzel
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2009, 11:37 pm

Be careful. Lemon can cause acid wear on tooth enamel over time.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 3:16 pm

zghost wrote:
Well I'm no kind of expert, but I think it's not so much what you eat, but how much of it. Portion size in this country has gotten crazy, it's no wonder so many people are overweight. Think about it, 30 years ago a regular McDonald's meal was a small hamburger, small fries, small drink. Now that's the kiddie meal, if even that. Compare that to a double quarter pounder meal, supersized....
So I would think your start bet would be to find a book that gives "proper" portion sizes. And eat more fruits and vegetables, preferably raw.

Zghost is right! I've lost 80 pounds folowing this: No more than: 4 servings of protein per day, 2 servings of dairy, 5 servings of fruit, 6 servings of vegs , 5 servings of breads or the like, and no more than 3 teaspoons of olive oil per day. The other problem: About one year ago, after losing all that weight, I looked like Java the Hut with all that loose skin. So, I've been working out with 10 pound weights and DVD's put out by Canadian-born Jari Love.
I still have loose bits here and there but I feel REALLY strong and it did reshape my body. BUT it took some time of daily exercise over a year. Now I do the same routine about 3 times a week. I'm pushin' fifty so I expect some loose bits even if I were thin all my life. I was heavy from the age 0f 6 to 45! Now food just doesn't turn me on the way it used to in all those 39 years. Now, I can eat ANYTHING as long as it is portioned correctly! I eat a slice of pie not a slab like I used to...or like before...half the pie if nobody else wanted it. Sweets just don't do it for me anymore. I'd rather come on to this site and socialize aspie style. Now, that sweets are out, I hardly eat at all. Now I eat when I'm TRULY hungry...and it's regular food, not cakes, and the like.

electriclight
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2009, 5:32 am

Wurzel wrote:
Be careful. Lemon can cause acid wear on tooth enamel over time.

Yes but its unlikely and you only have one glass per day.Its the same as eating any fruit. And the benefits easily outweigh that problem.

google search the benefits of lemon water and youll see.