What prescription meds work for Aspies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

koreanamerican
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2009, 10:55 pm

I'm an aspie. I take ambien to help me sleep. I do take sertraline for anxiety/depression, doesn't seem to do much. There are plenty of choices. What do you try did it work?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 12:49 am

There is nothing for Asperger's Syndrome, itself. There are other meds for anxiety, obsessive/compulsive behaviour and other co-morbids that are also found (mostly by having to cope with Asperger's Syndrome.
I don't take any of them, so I couldn't help you.

Merle

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 7:57 am

My aspie BF says his world has been changed through medication. He said he went from being an expressionless, almost mute person to someone with personality.

He credits a lot of this to discovering that stimulant drugs "woke him up." Ritalin made him feel social, but now he takes adderal or vyvanse. His antidepressant, Celexa, also contributed to the transformation.

In his mind, he's hardly an aspie anymore, but to anyone who knows him, he definitely is, and not mildly. It's just that he went through an absolute dramatic transformation.

I take six psych meds for my bipolar disorder. I've found that they do little to nothing for my AS. We're just two different people.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Zasha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2009, 10:32 am

Sorry, I'm like Merle. Drinking coffee is the extent of my drug consumption.

I think meds treat the "symptoms" of AS, but not AS itself. Everyone I know who has AS and takes medication is on some sort of cocktail. There is no cure-all.

flyingninja123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2009, 11:32 pm

I don't take meds, I feel that if I take them it will make me feel not like my true self. I like my quality of life, even though I have many quirks that say I have Asperger syndrome and other disorders.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 11:55 pm

koreanamerican wrote:
I'm an aspie. I take ambien to help me sleep. I do take sertraline for anxiety/depression, doesn't seem to do much. There are plenty of choices. What do you try did it work?

Personally, SSRIs were not compatible with my neurochemistry - the side effects were so extreme to make any possible positives not worth the costs involved. These included hallucinations, insomnia, mood changes, muscle twitches and heart palpitations. Same for so-called mood stabilizers and the 'newer' multi-function medications (often borrowed from those used as antipsychotics), and in the process I discovered that I am allergic to a couple of those. Stimulant medications make me sick and unable to function; as I already have trouble with sleep and being able to relax, the added energy only worsened my condition. Medications for sleep and anxiety (neither of which are specific to AS, but tend to coincide) have been more beneficial, but are not particularly effective for me, and the sense of being-not-myself can cause inner turmoil by itself. The tricyclic antidepressants also fall into this category, but failed to provide any lasting benefits. Long story short, it has been the anti-anxiety agents that have been able to provide me with the most relief on a short term or situational basis... which would include a range of medications including alprazolam (xanax), valium, librium, and other benzodiazapines among others. If you are going to pursue a pharmacological solution, be prepared for the possibility of an extended period of experimentation in order to find what works for you, at which dosage, and the combination needed to establish balance.

A curious side note: microdoses have worked better for me than ramping up to what is considered effective for most people. That may be due to my chemistry, or the distress experienced when I do not feel comfortable or familiar with who I am on those substances.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2009, 12:02 am

flyingninja123 wrote:
I don't take meds, I feel that if I take them it will make me feel not like my true self. I like my quality of life, even though I have many quirks that say I have Asperger syndrome and other disorders.

i felt like that so i stopped my meds i started hallucinating and then i thought maybe i should start taking them again

well anti depressants helped my mood, but it got me hyper happy, which i had no prob with, but the doctors did, the brand i had was celapram or sumthin'

i used to take sleeping pills and they helped, but that was for my insomnia, i dont think my aspergers affects my sleeping, dunno

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 7:59 am

sinsboldly wrote:
There is nothing for Asperger's Syndrome, itself. There are other meds for anxiety, obsessive/compulsive behaviour and other co-morbids that are also found (mostly by having to cope with Asperger's Syndrome.
I don't take any of them, so I couldn't help you.

Merle

well, that was in May and now it is October and I have a psychologist and a therapist that have me on sertraline and a psychic energizer. My landlady says I don't 'bounce around as much' when talking to her and my supervisor isn't sure if there is any change.

I certainly feel the change, though. My first clue was when I looked at life and myself and said 'whoa~ there Nelly' living day by day with no roots and no prospects for the future is pretty scary when looked at through the lens of focusing drugs.

no wonder people consider suicide on these things. The reality with out the soft edges and rose colored glasses is pretty harsh.

but, I shall preservere.

Merle

NEWanderer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Oct 2009, 8:17 am

flyingninja123 wrote:

You are wise. To me those "meds" could be considered just another dependency. From a physiologic perspective I don't see much distinction. I can't say it's not in anyone to try to pharmaceutically modulate their mood; but, I can't help but wonder if this cohort has a widespread distorted view of what's important. I hope everyone gives their physical health due consideration.

NEWanderer

09 Oct 2009, 8:49 am

koreanamerican wrote:

The serotonin transporter, the target of SSRIs, has pretty varied activity amond individuals. The gene for this protein has been an autism candidate gene; but, to my knowledge no variation associated with autism has been found. Serotonin reuptake is not necessarily desirable, due it's adverse affects on pituitary activity among other things. Sexual dysfunction can occur, impaired bone mineral/marrow activity, and GI symptoms may occur.

As for experience, I do not have a depression-prone personality. Unfortunately I had true believers for parents, at least one of whom was depressed. With HFA outside their frame of reference they confused the course of my development (narrow priorities, slow adaptation to change, etc.) with depression. My mother successfully manipulated me into taking SSRIs. After a withdrawal spanning about a year I was brainwashed into taking another SSRI for the purpose of helping me change focus. I stayed on high doses from the time I was 16 to the time I was 22. Stupidest thing I ever did. That shrink would just simply ask me effects I noticed. I just couldn't connect the dots during the insidious damage with so many other variable in my life. I realize now that intense focus was an asset. I'll never know what effect, if any that stuff had on my developing organs. A world full of self-proclaimed experts on family issues is a danger to our youth.

Shrinks usually don't measure serotonin to begin with. There are no therapeutic ranges established for SSRIs to my knowledge.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 1:36 pm

Right now Im on Abilify to treat depression which is an antipsychotic med normally used to treat bipolar and schtophrenia. It can be used to treat depression if you keep it on a low dose. Out of the three meds I've tried so far its the only med thats worked significantly for me. But it dosent really work to treat anxiety at least for me.

Verwandlung
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2009, 6:32 pm

I take Escitalopram (SSRI), Alprazolam (benzodiazepine) to help cope with depression and stress/anxiety. To help me find some sleep I take Circadin + Sonata and occasionally Zolpidem.
Of course non of the above 'cure' A.S. but I wouldn't want that. The medication just makes the "more difficult" periods /situations in life more bearable.

devilSpawn

11 Mar 2017, 1:41 pm

koreanamerican wrote:

Oregon Medical Marijuana Program - "pervasive neurological condition" ;)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Mar 2017, 1:29 am

Buspar helps my anxiety alot. Neurontin/Gabapentin helps my OCD(the obsessions & compulsions) alot. Trazodone helps me sleep & helps with my depression. Haldol/Haloperidol helps me not get angry quite as easily & I think it's helping alittle with a possible delusional disorder. Klonopin/Clonazepam helps me not feel as anxious in social situations but I take it as needed usually before going on a crowded bus & occasionally to help me sleep when my body is sore.
I've been on other meds but they didn't help rite or the side-effects bothered me.

Like others have said there is no med to specially treat autism. They treat the comorbids. Some antipsychotics like Abilify/Aripiprazole & Haldol are approved to treat some autism symptoms but they don't cure autism or anything.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 5:52 pm

I'm going back onto Sertraline soon, which probably means I'll be booked an obligatory appointment with the... very nice consultant back at my local mental health unit. The antidepressant was the best of those I've had before, however. It's just a hit to my confidence to have gone off it after being specifically told not to do that. My distrust of medical professionals and their advice stems from a very real, very wrong experience with one of their ilk that to this day taints my opinion of others until they prove themselves different.
Anyway, the single side-effect I found from Sertraline is tremors and teeth chattering in the mornings, it could be quite prominent and not pleasant, but I'll take that over endless headaches any day. I'm just so glad I have a new clinical psychologist on my side now, the lady who diagnosed me with ASD and actually knows what it means to help someone who struggles in life. It's that reason alone why I'm allowing her to get on at my old consultant about the Sertraline - if she thinks I need to go back on it, I'm willing to listen.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 5:56 am

I can definitely say that Seroquel DOESN'T work. My doctor put me on it because he thought I was schizophrenic, but my psychiatrist knew better and put me on another SSRI. I still have to go through my normal doctor to get the script though. :x