Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

bluegreenleaves
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2019, 1:42 pm

I have a working diagnosis of Asperger's and it runs in my family. However, a lot of the posts on this website seem to indicate Asperger's is defined by a lot of logic over emotion. While I do feel I can be quite logical, I consider myself more emotional and even a Highly Sensitive Person.

Does this mean I don't have Asperger's?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 1:45 pm

Aspergian people can be sensitive and emotional. If you've seen one aspie, you've only seen one aspie.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 1:53 pm

No. It's not unusual for autistic people to be emotional sensitive. It is true that there is a high incidence of Alexithymia among autistic people (difficultly recognising or expressing emotions), but it certainly isn't all of us - and even those of us who do have difficulty expressing our emotions in socially "typical" ways can still feel them very strongly. For some of us, these strong emotions can even be the most common trigger for autistic melt-downs and shut-downs. The "lack of empathy" diagnostic has a lot to answer for here - it is all too often misconceived as meaning that we're emotionless or without compassion. You won't have to hang around here for too long before you see very clearly just how mistaken that is!

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 7:34 pm

Another origin of inaccurate stereotypes is that many of us have a "flat affect" and a monotone voice. These often lead to us being assumed to be emotionally unintelligent or just plain cold. For many of us, nothing could be further from the truth.

Nydcat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2019, 11:18 pm

From what I've read and discussed with my therapist, it's normal to have strong emotions.
Here's a good exemple from dr. Attwood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbZ2QRJnUVg
If you haven't yet and are curious, I strongly suggest his video and book, he understand us so well.

But we're all different: myself, I tend to feel negative emotion very strongly, but my positive emotions are dulled.

cherryglitter
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jun 2019, 1:10 am

That's definitely me, I'm highly emotional, highly sensitive and expressive OR pretty much dead or ghostlike. It's all or nothing with me.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2019, 1:30 am

The autistics I’ve met are usually sensitive emotionally, though I myself am not.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2019, 2:50 am

I've been accused of being overly sensitive alot but I'm also very logical with things. I tend to be logical when doing things & giving advice to others but I also get upset, stressed, & frustrated very easily & then I act rashly.

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

Kalyke
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2019, 1:48 pm

Being logical, and being emotional is not mutually exclusive. I think the character of "Spock" has produced a culturally shared image (meme) considered short-hand for logical people. It is not a fight between the logical and the emotional. I think your coping mechanisms really depend on the way you were taught or learned to deal with the world. But it also has to do with how much of certain chemicals you have in your brain and body and everyone is different. One person will get a little serotonin/dopamine/adrenaline while another will get a lot of it in response to the same stimulus. The "standard" or "normal" amount is a number chosen often by some group of scientists putting out the next DSM manual. Outliers will be forced into one group or the other. Just ask yourself what IS too emotional, too sensitive? It makes no sense at all to say there is a standardized "amount" of these 2 things. You are just more emotional than the people you are using as a baseline. If you had learned these emotions somewhere else, from someone else, your baseline could be different.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 2:04 pm

I am such an Aspie

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 2:32 pm

If I am one then I am very emotional. If anything too emotional at times. I don't have a monotone voice. I don't know if I am logical or not... I am both logical and illogical, though I do seek to make sense of things. It is the logical thing to do.