Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 12:43 pm

Does anyone know of anxiety medication that isn't SSRI, an anti-convulsive, or benzos?

I can't take Lorazepam or Clonazepam. They cause me to become extremely depressed to the point of hurting myself, three days later. My doctor won't prescribe Xanax. I liked Buspirone but it gave me audible brain buzzing noises on top of my tinnitus. Seroquel knocked me out for 24 hours. I can't sleep all day. I need to be awake. I don't like pot, and I don't want to drink.

I already take SSRI and ADHD meds, plus a nightmare tablet for sleep.

Have they invented anything that's just for anxiety, and not depression, panic, etc?

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 1:20 pm

I was typing up a suggestion, but before posting you mention you wanted a bona fide anxiety med and not someting more general.

My suggestion has no rep for anxiety, it is used for anaesthesia and pain.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2018/ ... nt-vpx.cnn

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 1:29 pm

Thanks. I actually had Ketamine or something similar, for PTSD in the early-stages of my trauma recovery. What I'm looking for now is something I can take as needed, not even on a daily basis. Only when I really peak.

I'm looking into Polyvagal treatment called The Safe Sounds Protocol with my OT, but idk, I'm kind of tired of doing OT.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 5:40 pm

Ah, now it gets real interesting.

So even if it does work for anxiety, the doctor who gave it to you for PTSD cannot give you pills to have on hand.

Not because oral K does not work *lol*, but because it does not exist legally..

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

16 Sep 2021, 8:05 pm

Some doctors prescribe hydroxyzine (an antihistamine) and propranolol (a beta blocker) for anxiety.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 8:20 pm

K may be an option in the near future, [maybe you heard of it, but I just found it after my other post] there is a nasal spray out in the last few years, but only for depression in the US currently.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... -certified

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 8:36 pm

SyphonFilter wrote:
Some doctors prescribe hydroxyzine (an antihistamine) and propranolol (a beta blocker) for anxiety.

Thanks. I took Propranolol for a couple of years after my first stroke. It's good for heart rhythm as well as anxiety, apparently.

I ended up getting a bit of Lorazepam which has worked pretty well. It doesn't seem to have made me depressed like last time. I'm combining it with kitten therapy. :heart:

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 11:42 pm

A kitten is great therapy. I did the same thing myself. He's almost a year old now and still lovely and playful.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 7:47 am

Did you ever try doing breathing exercises?

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 8:21 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Does anyone know of anxiety medication that isn't SSRI, an anti-convulsive, or benzos?

I can't take Lorazepam or Clonazepam. They cause me to become extremely depressed to the point of hurting myself, three days later. My doctor won't prescribe Xanax. I liked Buspirone but it gave me audible brain buzzing noises on top of my tinnitus. Seroquel knocked me out for 24 hours. I can't sleep all day. I need to be awake. I don't like pot, and I don't want to drink.

Have they invented anything that's just for anxiety, and not depression, panic, etc?

I do take lorazepam (it has been a lifesaver in times of crisis), but I have other things that I use/implement for anxiety. It is a constant struggle for me. I have dysautonomia, so any anxiety or negative emotions can make my body go haywire.

Here are a couple of things that work for me in conjunction with my benzos (not saying you should implement any of these in your routine, but they may be something to consider):
1) Breathing exercises and meditation. AT LEAST once a day. When I'm struggling, I step it up to 2-3 times a day. These sessions can last between 5-25 minutes. I use the HeadSpace an Balance apps on my iPhone. When I have issues with focusing on meditation, using this time for rest and silence (noise cancelling headphones in a dark room) can be so beneficial.

2) A broad spectrum CBD oil. It helps with chronic pain and sleep issues as well. I was skeptical of this at first, but it was surprisingly helpful. It isn't psychoactive like THC, so no worries there. I do plan on testing out some of the medical cannabis options on the market once I move North next month.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 8:22 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

Thanks. I took Propranolol for a couple of years after my first stroke. It's good for heart rhythm as well as anxiety, apparently.

I ended up getting a bit of Lorazepam which has worked pretty well. It doesn't seem to have made me depressed like last time. I'm combining it with kitten therapy. :heart:

Yay! KITTENS! I'm glad you found a good combo!

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 9:13 am

Flown wrote:
1) Breathing exercises and meditation. AT LEAST once a day. When I'm struggling, I step it up to 2-3 times a day. These sessions can last between 5-25 minutes. I use the HeadSpace an Balance apps on my iPhone. When I have issues with focusing on meditation, using this time for rest and silence (noise cancelling headphones in a dark room) can be so beneficial.

I just want to add there are two types of breathing exercises you should be doing ideally. Slow and properly timed (e.g. 5-5-8, in-hold-out) when you want to calm down. And intense controlled hyperventilation + breath holds, which elevate your stress levels momentarily to attenuate your stress response and trigger deeper stress regulation processes, this type is for regular practice on schedule, it serves as a workout for your sympathetic nervous system.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 8:40 am

badRobot wrote:
Flown wrote:

I just want to add there are two types of breathing exercises you should be doing ideally. Slow and properly timed (e.g. 5-5-8, in-hold-out) when you want to calm down. And intense controlled hyperventilation + breath holds, which elevate your stress levels momentarily to attenuate your stress response and trigger deeper stress regulation processes, this type is for regular practice on schedule, it serves as a workout for your sympathetic nervous system.

Thanks for bringing this up. This might as a good starting point for the OP.

I've been utilizing multiple types of breathing exercises for a couple of years now. It has taken some trial and error and some tweaking of the original "formulas" to find what works best for me. I do have chronic health issues, so 5-5-8 does not work for me personally (it can actually make me feel more panicked and overstimulated). I do better with box breathing for calming down.

For longer lasting effects, I prefer progressive muscle relaxation with breath holds.

I haven't done a lot of hyperventilation/breath holds as it can make me feel pretty ill. Maybe when I'm in a better spot healthwise I can try again!

I think it's important to remember that specific breathing exercises/formulas don't necessarily work for everyone. Human biology is so variable, and there is no "one-size-fits-all" for breathing exercises, exercise, or even dieting. I keep a journal of things that work for me, and I find that to be helpful.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 11:21 am

Flown wrote:
I haven't done a lot of hyperventilation/breath holds as it can make me feel pretty ill. Maybe when I'm in a better spot healthwise I can try again!

Yes, it is important to understand that while it is beneficial long term it is still basically inducing additional stress and you shouldn't do it if you are not in a relatively good spot. You understand what a lot of people don't.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:09 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

i would talk to a doctor and a pharmacist.They are much better qualified than we are.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2021, 7:58 am

My two cents...

Ketamine (and the US patented Esketamine, which is just one of the isomers) are useful for treating depression mostly. It's an anesthetic, so it kills ALL pain which means it's addictive. History is littered with casualties. OK if administered in a medical setting, otherwise be very careful.

I find good old fashioned Diazepam (the first benzodiazepine) works best. Just tricky to get. I find I can adjust the dose so it doesn't make me drowsy but still calms the panic. It doesn't mess me up like the newer benzo's which also make me depressed as an after effect, which is potentially dangerous.

Breathing I find very useful If I just extend the outbreath. I don't do breathing exercises but just use it as I need while out in the world. As long as I am only a bit anxious it works. I don't count as that's too counterproductive for me. I just make sure the in breath is shorter than the out.

Polyvagal theory I find a very useful concept. I tried the Safe Sounds Protocol but didn't notice any effect. That was a while ago before I had my current understanding of myself so perhaps I just missed it.