Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 7:44 pm

What do you think? Accurate?

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 2:57 pm

cool! Id just 'add' fake to the tip, it is a pretty common take, and thats what my family thinks.

Not sure if they think adhd is fake or if I faked my way to diagnosis, they are not much for discussion.. but they clearly saw it as drug seeking behavior.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 8:37 pm

I mentioned ADHD to a group and a fellow old enough to have kids HS age called it "an excuse" - and he seemed really angry about it. Ignorance is supposed to be bliss. For this guy ignorance was anger.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 9:10 pm

I presume he meant an exuse to be under/unemployed? if so his problem is that Money is his God.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 9:11 pm

I got the impression that he might have an issue with his son. I may have been projecting.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 9:16 pm

Fenn wrote:
I got the impression that he might have an issue with his son. I may have been projecting.

oh ok, now I see.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 9:15 pm

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 9:30 pm

Regardless of its scientific validity... ^ Those are a good traits to aim for. And at the risk of sounded conceited, I think i have a lot of 'em already.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 8:37 am

Iceberg, dead ahead. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2021, 7:00 pm

I'm in the process of being diagnosed for ADHD, or more likely ADD and I'm nervous about the whole thing. I read stuff like that ice berg and I start doubting myself, feeling insanely insecure about my problems being legit enough to warrant a diagnosis.

I definitely get the feeling people don't think there's anything to ADHD other than being overly concerned about your own persona. If you explain your difficulty remembering stuff and how oblivious you can be to written signs you just get told it's a typical male trait. -My husband is the same, I believe every man is like that.
Those were the words of the last person who commented on my supposed ADHD after I'd explained a possible reason for not turning up to my vaccination on the first occasion. Then I went ahead and forgot my hat in her room as I was leaving... Good thing she noticed it.

I forget all kind of stuff, but forgetting to go to the bathroom?? Is that not closer to serious dementia? I cannot identify with that, which also makes me extremely unsure. My wife is pretty pretty pretty sure I'm ADHD.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 7:02 pm

Jon81 wrote:
I'm in the process of being diagnosed for ADHD, or more likely ADD and I'm nervous about the whole thing. I read stuff like that ice berg and I start doubting myself, feeling insanely insecure about my problems being legit enough to warrant a diagnosis.

I definitely get the feeling people don't think there's anything to ADHD other than being overly concerned about your own persona. If you explain your difficulty remembering stuff and how oblivious you can be to written signs you just get told it's a typical male trait. -My husband is the same, I believe every man is like that.
Those were the words of the last person who commented on my supposed ADHD after I'd explained a possible reason for not turning up to my vaccination on the first occasion. Then I went ahead and forgot my hat in her room as I was leaving... Good thing she noticed it.

I forget all kind of stuff, but forgetting to go to the bathroom?? Is that not closer to serious dementia? I cannot identify with that, which also makes me extremely unsure. My wife is pretty pretty pretty sure I'm ADHD.

I don't think they mean forgetting to go to the bathroom like soiling yourself, they mean like forgetting the point where it becomes a disruption later.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 9:07 pm

ADHD in the DSM is defined first, last and only as observable behavior. Everything in the DSM is defined as behavior.
A personal introspection on ADHD is a bit different. I would, as a professional engineer, forget to go to lunch so often it became a running with some of my co-workers - but it isn't really funny to me because when I skip meals then my blood sugar drops then I tend to hyperfocus and then the whole rest of the day can be shot. Now I have set up my laptop computer to automatically shut down at 11:50 (unless I tell it not to). I hardly ever miss meals. At work they had a microwave oven - I would often put my meal in and forget to come back and get it when I was done.

The problem with the "everyone does that" is that it ignores when the behavior becomes statistically significant. That is what psychological instruments are supposed to detect. They help to show when the DSM behaviors become "not normal" from a statistical point of view. It also ignores all the MRI and FMRI studies which show neurological differences for people who meet the DSM criteria.

Even if you are not in the USA and you will be diagnosed via the ICD there are similar considerations.