Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 8:23 am

When it is or it is isn't appropriate to talk about your mental health crisis to police? I am going through a rough time. I am not depressed anymore, but I have severe hypomania. I don't sleep well at night at all right now.

Lawyers say never confess to the police, but I am too mentally ill to follow that advice and really need someone to talk to.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 8:57 am

The police in general are geared towards gathering evidence to get a conviction. (I am not saying that this is the case with all police but in general this is their role).
It is the healthcare side of things that you may need which in rhe UK is the NHS system. Not sure what you call it elsewhere.
The police, if they pick up on you needing psycological help would then send you to the healthcare side of things so really going directly to the healthcare side of rhings by seeing your doctor and going from there would be the normal place to go, and if things are really bad then go into your A&E department to ask for help. (Is it ER or something in the USA?)

I really hope that you can find the help you need and remember that you do get better. But generally avoid the police unless it is a last resort as you could end up being arrested and convicted for things that you did not do and never get the mental help that you need. (Is not the police fault as they may not pick up on the issues and assume things as they are geared towards the criminality side without being involved in the mental health side so it is easy for them to miss things or interprate things wrongly which is why your lawyer gave you that advice).

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 9:04 am

I have Bipolar Disorder without anosognosia and am very self-aware. I wonder if this is normal as I take Guanfacine, Olanzapine and Rexulti.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 11:12 am

I don't know enough about the medication side of it except that bipolar is a chemical inbalance of the brain and the medicine is normally taken to try to balance things out so one can have a normal life. It is a bit of a hit and miss as if the dose is too strong then it will cause another imbalance but not enough and it wont give the desired effect. I would imagine that other medication may dealmwith any negative side effects of the first medication? I am only guessing.
I do know that many who are on the autism spectrum have been wrongly diagnosed with bipolar because some naturallynhave highs and lows associated with the autistic side and the problem with wrong diagnosis is that autistic brains do not have a chemical imbalance (Unless they are unlucky enough to have both conditions) so medicating for pipolar and having autism gives the person twice the issues to deal with. (I am not saying that it is the case with you).
I did look up the differences between bipolar and autism when I was trying to work out what autism was and bipolar also was mentioned in some cases in regards to being wrongly diagnosed, and I found out that with bipolar people will go from a high to a low in a few days while with autism the going from a high to a low can happen in hours or even minutes! Bipolar usually has deeper highs and lows as well. The issue is when the medical staff such as doctors think "Highs and lows" and automatically think of bipolar which is to be fair the traits of the condition.

I don't know what anosognosia is so is something I am going to look up though I probably wont remember what it is for long! I do like finding out new things (New to me) but I have a limited general knowledge sphere of retaining information that does not directly involve something I can relate to or I can't relate to my interests (E.g. trains).

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 2:07 pm

It makes sense.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 3:28 pm

Obviously in an emergency by all means call anyone for help. I hope that all goes well for you. I would go and see your doctor or health professional or whoever you normally deal with to ask advice and mention the situation so you can have the help you need so you will be back feeling better.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 10:07 pm

My psychiatrist is helping me with this situation.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 10:09 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
The police in general are geared towards gathering evidence to get a conviction. (I am not saying that this is the case with all police but in general this is their role).
It is the healthcare side of things that you may need which in rhe UK is the NHS system. Not sure what you call it elsewhere.
The police, if they pick up on you needing psycological help would then send you to the healthcare side of things so really going directly to the healthcare side of rhings by seeing your doctor and going from there would be the normal place to go, and if things are really bad then go into your A&E department to ask for help. (Is it ER or something in the USA?)

I really hope that you can find the help you need and remember that you do get better. But generally avoid the police unless it is a last resort as you could end up being arrested and convicted for things that you did not do and never get the mental help that you need. (Is not the police fault as they may not pick up on the issues and assume things as they are geared towards the criminality side without being involved in the mental health side so it is easy for them to miss things or interprate things wrongly which is why your lawyer gave you that advice).

I am in USA, California not UK.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 12:46 am

I feel bad now. I was not thinking in a rational way at all. Now I understand why lawyers are necessary, but I want special one that knows how to deal with me, especially when I almost incriminated myself to the police when I was depressed and had mild delusions of guilt. I was being too risky to myself, It not that I was NGRI, I kind of knew what I did is risky, but was incompetent to think in a rational way.

I was 19 years old at that time when that happens 3 times, and I was lucky enough to be found innocent by police and once by two FBI agents.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 2:58 am

I agree that you need someone to know you and to work alongside you as your representitive.
What you really could do with is a advocate who knows you and your history and can explain to the police or anyone else if things get out of hand.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 5:14 am

Thank you!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 5:24 am

You are most welcome.