Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Sep 2022, 6:15 pm

I was wondering if it's possible to have both autism & tourette's? Because I was diagnosed with autism in 2020 & I have some stuff might either be tics or tourette's; some of these issues include shaking my leg all the time about once everyday & it going so fast i have to put my other leg on that foot to try & get it to stop. I also blink all the time it's not just when i'm driving but when the sun is out and feeling like I have to put tape on the top bottom of my eyelids to make sure I don't blink while driving. Also, I have a lot of tingling in both my hands & feet & this morning just like every other morning I was holding my cup of coffee & it spilled on me & it's like my brain isn't making the connection to my hands. And finally I yawn a lot and open my mouth really wide when i do it & its almost like i make a sound to try and pop my ears even when i'm not tired & i bite my bottom lip only so badly that it''s so cracked it bleeds. And I also grind my teeth so bad that part of the bottom of one of my teeth got chipped off. Could any of this be tourettes or tics?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 6:51 pm

You can have tics and autism. Autism actually makes tic disorders more likely, and so does ADHD. I have had motor tics since I was a little kid (a weird shrugging tic, a hard blinking/face scrunching tic, etc.).

Half of what you mentioned is concerning though, especially your hands and feet tingling. If those things are completely automatic and involuntary, don't have an "urge" before you do them and/or growing anxiety from resisting the urge, etc. then they don't sound like tics. Tics are usually voluntary, and while people may feel weird sensations in the body part they're trying to resist ticing with, I haven't heard about someone's hands tingling and it making them spill hot coffee on themselves. You might have a neurological issue of some sort. You should see a doctor.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Sep 2022, 7:25 pm

I mean I'll start shaking my leg and it goes so fast it's almost like I have to put something on it to get it to stop. And for example yesterday i was doing notes and my mom opened my room door I immediately jerked/almost jumped up because i felt my butt lift up a little bit but I didn't completely jump and the hand that I had my pen in made me scribble/mess up the letter in a word that i was writing.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Sep 2022, 7:30 pm

Well it's my feet tingling but when i'm holding my coffee i'll spill and it's like i just do it and don't realize i've spilled it until after it happens.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2022, 11:12 am

What kind of neurological disorders do you think it could be?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 9:29 pm

Could be a side effect of some medication.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 4:10 am

I've got both, I saw a video that said its because our nerves have lost their insulation.
Due to drinking coffee tea wine and other alcohol.
It suggested taking b1 to get it back. There's miles and miles of nerves in your body so Im hoping it doesn't take too long.

I hope that's the cause, I did notice it had gotten worse over the years . I was drinking tea for most of my life too.

It sounds like a dodgy theory though cos mine started when I was ten, and you don't see alcoholics with these problems. They have unsteady hands which is totally different.
I assume caffeine ain't doin' us no favors though