Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 9:28 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Caffeine makes me dizzy and jittery, but my ADHD meds don't do anything. I don't even feel the normal "peak and subside" that most people report. I'd swear they're placebos but if I don't take them I'm so tired I can't even stand up.

There are a bunch of different medication options these days, if they're not doing anything for you, it could be a wrong dose, or it could be a wrong medication. We no longer live in the era of adderall and ritalin, there are a bunch of other possibilities out there.

Even with the same basic medication, there are different time release capsules and some people need a shorter acting dose to kickstart things. But, if they don't seem to be doing anything obvious, something is definitely up. Whether it's medication related or something else is way beyond my credentials or knowledge.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 11:08 pm

Yes I know, but thanks. ^ I'm not on Adderal or Ritalin and I've been titrated through about 8 different doses. I'm a special case because I'd already had a stroke prior to starting meds, so I had to do 20+ hours of testing with a Neuropsychiatrist and other medical doctors before they'd even consent to let me start. I was monitored very carefully for the first year or so. Then I had a second stroke when I was on them. Now my GP is in charge of it but she can consult with the NP as needed. I asked about time release but they said it's less effective than the normal kind, although I can't remember why.

I'm OK with what I have. At least I'm awake (sadly, about 20 hours a day), but I think my EF dysfunction is compounded by my stroke(s) and I'm likely doing the best I ever will. I'm not working anymore so it doesn't really matter. It's just weird that I don't even feel it kick in / kick out like most people.