Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sylbao
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2010, 11:12 am

Of course I don't have anything against people with bipolar, tourette, schizophrenia and else.
But am I not on "the online resource and community for Autism and Asperger's" here ?
I don't understand this extension.

alex
Developer
Developer

03 Oct 2010, 11:14 am

we're expanding to serve people with other neurological differences. I think there's a need for a site that serves Bipolar and other conditions.

sylbao
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2010, 11:23 am

You're right, they maybe miss an online resource. But I thought it was not the subject here.
You talk about "other neurological differences" but what you mean by psychological conditions isn't precise at all to me. Will you put together autist, psychotic, depressive ones ? I wouldn't really like it. I think Asperger is something specific which deserves a specific online resource, and I was glad to find a site like that...

alex
Developer
Developer

03 Oct 2010, 11:25 am

that isn't changing. we're expanding to offer support to more people.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 12:09 pm

sylbao wrote:
Of course I don't have anything against people with bipolar, tourette, schizophrenia and else.
But am I not on "the online resource and community for Autism and Asperger's" here ?
I don't understand this extension.

There are many people on here who do not have Autism but another condition, and many also who are trying to have a diagnosis of Autism and already have another condition.

People with more than one condition may find this place useful because the "General Autism Discussion" is full of "NLVD" "Dyslexia" "Dyscalculia" "Dyspraxia" "Bipolar" Schizophrenia" "Tourettes" "OCD" "Depression" thread already. Now, I feel that the forum will be easier to use.

Please, remember that most people are not truly NTs or that people with another condition may have felt close to Autism once.

I am myself a dyspraxic girl who is still struggling to get proper diagnosis, I feel very close to AS sometimes (though it seems that some Dyspraxic are AS like without having AS according to some websites), I never found a place like WrongPlanet.net. Even for Autism, this place is really great, full of understanding and educated people who try to help you whether you have AS or not, even though some people on here are close minded and insulting toward any non autistic or NT person. I have found many forum for dyspraxic people but none was good enough for me, there were no way to learn more about myself and others or to feel close to people. Here, things are differents.
In a way, everyone is welcomed, we share characteristics sometimes, sometimes we don't, some of us have more than one condition, other don't, and it's great.

EDIT : By the way, I see that you are French too and undiagnosed.
So, firstly : you are an self diagnosed Aspies, some people could tell that you are not really and Aspie or should have a diagnosis before telling such things. I'm not trying to be rude (though I'm French), it's just seem irrelevant to me to read something like that while you are still unsure of what your condition is as many of us are.

I do not know what kind of official tests you succeeded to find online but I am just trying to show you that some people could argue that an Autism forum should be reserved to people diagnosed with Autism only (and perhaps parents or relatives).

You may be aware that there is a French forum for Aspies on which there are some NTs but the main focus is ASPERGER. I myself find that most people on this forum are stubborn and arrogant and I do feel like they give great support to anyone, which is why I can understand why you are on WP.

And this is also why I think you could understand that other people may feel welcomed here though they are not autistic.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 12:17 pm

alex wrote:
we're expanding to offer support to more people.

I believe that is good. The first-and-only officially-diagnosed Aspie I ever met face-to-face would have benefited from interactions beyond her "We are sooo unique" kind of mindset. Whatever label anyone might either wear or have placed upon them, our challenges within society overall are identical.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 12:22 pm

This is a support site for people who can't fit in with the rest of the world. There have already been members here that are autistic

but are also bipolar or schizophrenic or have Tourette's. Expanding the forum to officially include those who are atypical

neurologically in ways other than autism will not take away the support that is there for autistics. My son is AS, I might be

PDD-NOS but I've pretty much come to terms with my lack of social desire and ability. What affects my life the most is my

executive dysfunction, associated with my ADD-PI. I get help here for that and I'm thankful for that.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 12:22 pm

Thank you alex for putting this up since I know alot of what happened in my experience and I can actually really connect with the people who has a family or themselves who had one.

I have a story behind my lifestyle which I may have to share at a later time.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2010, 12:25 pm

And let's not forget ASDs are frequently comorbid with other DSM diagnoses. In psychology there is even the term dual diagnosis for those with a developmental disorder and a mood disorder.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 12:29 pm

poppyfields wrote:
And let's not forget ASDs are frequently co-morbid with other DSM diagnoses. In psychology there is even the term dual diagnosis for those with ... and ...

... and if some of us only had two, we might have done well enough quite naturally, eh?! ;)

But no, not really.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 4:00 pm

alex wrote:
we're expanding to serve people with other neurological differences. I think there's a need for a site that serves Bipolar and other conditions.

I think this is a good idea, to be honest.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 4:18 pm

Thanks for this topic, Alex. A lot of psychiatric conditions have the same stigmas as AS/PDDNOS/HFA have to face every day. Just cause you don't see my problem doesn't mean it isn't real.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

alex
Developer
Developer

03 Oct 2010, 4:19 pm

kip wrote:
Thanks for this topic, Alex. A lot of psychiatric conditions have the same stigmas as AS/PDDNOS/HFA have to face every day. Just cause you don't see my problem doesn't mean it isn't real.

You're welcome. Here's to this forum becoming a success! :cheers:

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 4:37 pm

I hope it will be a great success too, and believe it will be. :)

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 5:39 pm

Hey, let's not discriminate; we should have an NT forum too!

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 2:33 am

I am glad of this section as i have some strange symptoms that dont fit into the AS bracket for most part.

Taking a break.