Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 6:42 pm

Are there meds out their that really help you to reduce rid of aspie obsessions. Right now I'm on seroquel and the docs suggestion that I shift to abilify due to the sleepiness side effect is a bit too much for me. It helps a little for obsessions, not that much. It does pretty much kill the anxiety, a good thing. Are there medications that can help a person to not get so warped up into your obsession. I find my obsession more embarrassing and destructible to me then anything else.

langers
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Nov 2011, 7:04 pm

I am going in Tuesday to talk to my doc about just this thing. My "special interest" is not destructive or embarrassing, it just takes over almost every waking and sleeping moment and I think I am neglecting a lot in my life, in particular time with my kids and school work. I should be able to focus on these other VERY important things but my mind just will not let me. I'd like to know how it works out for you and I'll post back what my doc says.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 8:00 pm

I'd rather celebrate my special interests than take obsession pills. I feel that autism should be celebrated and not medicated. that's just my opinion. I have no problem with what everybody else in this thread wants for themselves. I guess that I'm not as eager to appear NT. I wish you a luck in finding the treatments that you want for yourselves.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 10:01 pm

CockneyRebel, Well my obsession is people. I become obsessed over friends and it has destroyed friendships. There's nothing to celebrate over becoming overly obsessed over a friend, a person. If my obsession was a subject-matter then perhaps that would be more acceptable.

langers

07 Nov 2011, 6:52 am

The problem is not wanting to appear NT, the problem is that if it is a real problem it takes over your entire life!! !! !! !! !! You can't function, you can't look to your children's needs, you can't look after yourself you can't live any sort of life. Every thought, dream, and moment is wrapped up entirely in your "special interest". That is quite a bit of a stretch from wanting to appear NT, it is just wanting to be able to live at all. I don't want to change who I am, I love all of my uniqueness and quirkiness. I jtust need to tone down this problem area so that I can live a better life and be a parent and NOT fail college because I am so focused one the one subject that I can't study for anything else. I don't think it is a bad thing to take meds for something if it is detrimental to your life, we would not tell a diabetic to not take meds because it changes who they are, I am glad to hear that some people don't have as serious problems with their AS but for some of us there are things that are harmful to our lives and we need to try what we can to get help for those areas.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 8:27 pm

langers wrote:
The problem is not wanting to appear NT, the problem is that if it is a real problem it takes over your entire life!! !! !! !! !! You can't function, you can't look to your children's needs, you can't look after yourself you can't live any sort of life. Every thought, dream, and moment is wrapped up entirely in your "special interest".

Well said

ViewUpHere
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2011, 8:11 pm

I'd also be curious if there's something that works. Specifically, I'm not interested in taking a maintenance medication if I can avoid it, but when the obsessions get really nasty, it would be nice to have an out.

The obsessions I'm talking about are not AS special interest obsessions. They're intrusive thoughts that stem from OCD. Some of these I weather ok. Some I really don't. In another post I mentioned one of the nastier ones I get, which consists of these really fast flash visions of my stabbing the person I'm talking to. I'm not talking about people I have a problem with. I'm talking about EVERY person I talk to, stand near, or come into contact with. My friends, my family, kids, strangers, everyone. It's horrid. And it can go on for months. I recognize it for what it is and know I'd never do anything like that, but going through it over and over and over can make life unmitigated hell for the duration.

So yeah, if there was something I could do that would shorten those months to a few weeks or (dare I ask for it?) a few days... Yeah, I'd be interested.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 1:24 pm

Idk, see my obsessions tend to be some weird conjunction between aspie obsession interests in intrusive, unwanted obsessions. I obsess a lot about people but then i have intrusive rumination thoughts about past memories, I messed up because I did _________. I'm always afraid that I messed up even looking back 5 years ago. I've been told my problems stem from social anxiety, definetely true, I just wanted something to treat the ruminations and the obessions about a particular person.

Is this an aspie thing, we always need to be thinking about something at all times unless we're very tired?

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 11:44 am

i get obsessed with people.......
especially good looking opposite sex
i think i have erotomania
i have been watching movies related to that theme
like Fatal Attraction and He loves me, He loves me not(French)
The disease is so organic i had same symptoms...i needed to understand myself.