Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 1:04 pm

Even though I have a very good vocabulary. I have trouble reading.
It takes me seemingly forever to read. It's hard to focus on what I'm reading, and I'll catch myself reading a page several times for it to make sense to me. And the larger the solid block of text the harder it is. magazines & web pages are easier, while novels are torture. Broken up, graphically formatted text is easier.

When writing, I notice I will shuffle the order of the words in the sentence sometimes.
I don't really scramble or flip characters. And I handle numbers just fine.

Maybe I'm just a very visual thinker and it takes extra time to translate verbal info into visual info.
In those large blocks of text, my eyes have a tough time with normal left to right scanning and I will bounce all over the page.

I feel I am missing a whole world of information in books, but it's just too much work for me to get through one.
I have to sequester myself away on a very quiet place to be able to read and actually absorb what I'm reading. Otherwise I'm just looking at black marks on the paper.

It could be a form of dyslexia, but maybe also it's issues with my inability to filter out background stimuli.
I suspect some possible dyslexia in there because I have noticed that my dad does shuffle letters and numbers, though he doesn't admit it. And dyslexia is genetic.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 1:51 pm

That's a really good question I have these problems too. But I think this is b/c of strain in my eyes due to countless PC hours and being a somewhat *visual thinker*. I remember I having done well with HP books though :D And I learned to read on my own early. But these days no way I can get through a book and prolly there are loads of reasons behind it. I remember telling my GP that I have a problem with reading when I was 17something, and she responded "dyslexia? pfff its only in children you're just working too much".......Anyway I just hate reading. It is not only physically uncomfortable but also disgusting aesthetically (??). Also I do well in maths and possibly have something ADHD-like.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

Just quoting myself from a recent topic. I've wondered for years if I have dyslexia. There's certainly a problem, whatever it is.

Quote:
I’ve posted many times on these forums about my reading difficulties. Here I tried to simulate for others what reading is like for me, and here I asked if anyone else reads out loud like I find myself needing to do.

hayesatlbch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Nov 2011, 11:31 am

Reading problems caused by difficulties seeing text in a normal manner where letters and/or words require effort to determine
is visual dyslexia. You should Google visual dyslexia for more information.

People with reading problems who see text in a clear , uniform , focused , stable ( unmoving ) , with no missing visual information from letters or words and no visual difficulties seeing text do NOT have visual dyslexia. Most reading difficulties are not visual.

AspieRoss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2011, 4:28 pm

I have those same issues and I am Dyslexic. Reading is such a chore.
Do you ever get sensory processing issues? Such as: mis-hearing what a person has said to you? I get that a lot too! (it has led to many angry outbursts from myself thinking that I was being mocked or something)