Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 8:28 am

As further evidence of the corporate greed of the pharmaceutical industries and of their lack of concern for the well-being of their customers, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. has defined 'delusion' as

• Believing that what other people say is not true (delusions)

This is, of course, not the definition of 'delusion' as the word is conventionally used. Let this stand as an indicator that lying companies such as Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. pose a threat to the health and safety of our country.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

Like the commercial for "shift work disorder."

You mean the person's tired from sleep deprivation due to work schedule change?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 1:09 pm

At the same time, I have struggled with depression. And although I have not yet taken antidepressants, I am largely won over to the idea.

Now, as I understand it, something like Zoloft or Cymbalta works great for some people and hardly does a thing for others. That in a very respectable sense, it is trial and error. That the game play is to be willing to try one a month for six months and hopefully one will click. (And sometimes it's better to phase out slowly even if it doesn't seem to be working.)

It's just that people's biochem is complicated and seems to be different between different individuals.

And if a doctor says, 'Well, it should be working.'

Perhaps play a little country dumb/country smart, 'Well, perhaps it should be working. But I'm telling you, it's not working.'

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 6:30 pm

If one is in a negative reality the whole world could be brought into a hallucination,

AspieRoss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2011, 4:31 pm

So if a politician lies to you and you don't believe them, you are mentally ill? WTF

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 9:06 pm

Yes If a politician lies and tells everyone that a tax break for the rich will stimulate the economy and you don't believe him then you are mentally ill.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 11:20 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Yes If a politician lies and tells everyone that a tax break for the rich will stimulate the economy and you don't believe him then you are mentally ill.

LOL pretty much

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 11:25 pm

MikeH106 wrote:
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. has defined 'delusion' as:
  • Believing that what other people say is not true (delusions)
This is, of course, not the definition of 'delusion' as the word is conventionally used. Let this stand as an indicator that lying companies such as Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. pose a threat to the health and safety of our country.

Merriam-Webster defines "delusion" as:

(1) something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated; (2) a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary; (3) the abnormal state marked by such beliefs

The JP definition is not in conflict with MW's, especially if "what other people say" is indeed false.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 9:01 am

Fnord wrote:
Merriam-Webster defines "delusion" as:

(1) something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated; (2) a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary; (3) the abnormal state marked by such beliefs

The JP definition is not in conflict with MW's, especially if "what other people say" is indeed false.

On the contrary, this shows that the definition used by Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is in conflict with the Merriam-Webster definition (especially if what other people say is false).

Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. defines 'delusion' as "not believing what other people say." This duplicitous redefinition of a derogatory term circumvents the entire controversy of just what a belief is (philosophers are still divided into camps on this issue), appealing instead to the mentality of the masses as the deciding authority. As a consequence, this implies that such great thinkers as Copernicus and Einstein were delusional.

As patients, we must ask ourselves in light of this just what these pharmaceutical companies want from us.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 12:40 pm

As with everything, it depends on to what degree you disbelieve. If you disbelieve someone that tells you the sky is blue and water is wet, then the definition is not in conflict with the dictionary definition.

If you merely think people are lying to you about things with no logical reason to(like hiding things or they don't really like you when they say they do) then it's more paranoia than delusion.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 3:54 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
As with everything, it depends on to what degree you disbelieve. If you disbelieve someone that tells you the sky is blue and water is wet, then the definition is not in conflict with the dictionary definition.

I should add in a minor correction of what I said here:

MikeH106 wrote:
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. defines 'delusion' as "not believing what other people say."

The definition as given by the corporation is, "believing that what others say is not true," which is not quite the same as "not believing what other people say." Nevertheless, it is a duplicitous redefinition and, because it is stated in the form of a generality, it is in conflict with the Merriam-Webster definition. For all that needs to be the case is that what other people say not be true, and the disbeliever is not necessarily delusional.

Now, one can rework this to say that any act of concluding without proof that what others say is not true is an instance of fallacious reasoning and therefore a 'false belief.' However, there are two aberrations in this definition:

1. The Merriam-Webster definition requires a certain tenacity in holding the false belief against counterweighting evidence. However, momentary false beliefs can be easily corrected by admitting that one was wrong.
  2. Beliefs in the falsity of the fallacious reasoning of others would itself constitute a justified, true belief, which makes such a definition self-refuting.

What I see here is the threat of pomposity against today's brightest minds.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 5:41 pm

Like I said, things like this are determined based on the severity of the case. Someone with trust issues would not qualify as delusional because their level of paranoia over lying is not severe enough to be considered as such.

But I see you are bent on believing there's some kind of conspiracy to medicate people that are mentally stable. That's your prerogative, but I find it interesting.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 5:59 pm

MikeH106 wrote:
What I see here is the threat of pomposity against today's brightest minds.

What I see here is a lot of finger-pointing and fault-finding, but no offering of solutions or plans of action ... hallmarks of conspiracy theories.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 10:11 pm

Well, I've said enough. I'll leave you to judge for yourselves.

Also, I just want to add that while I'm looking out for your interests, I find it highly unsettling that you're deriding my analysis as the stuff of "conspiracy theory." I hate to have to tell the truth, but that is very typical, fallacious, mob-minded thinking.

Finally, the big word for conspiracies that are obviously real, everywhere, is 'Machiavellianism.' Greedy companies across the country "conspire" against their consumers with deceptive marketing ploys, and Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is no exception. You have to be a fool to deny it.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 9:27 am

If our governments and rich greedy corporations weren't f-ing with us right now do you think there would be a world economic crisis going on. I don't agree with anything that's going on right now.
What MikeH106 is suggesting is that it's gotten to the point of us possibly losing our very right to hold our own opinions on their poor actions. It's not about a possible conspiracy it's something going on in front of us every single day. People are losing work and school prices aren't regulated properly so young people also jobless are in huge debt. They'll now get to be diagnosed as mentally ill because they don't agree with the fact that they were f-ed over by their own sick countries. Their depression from the grief of losing everything and feeling confused/future less will be masked up by a mental disorder. Another problem is that the practice of psychiatry is becoming compromised by greed. Psychiatric drugs are being more prescribed to children than ever before. It's dangerous and outrageous. I do think that mental health problems exist but medication is not the end all be all for everyone. Even for people on the spectrum it's just wrong. I think the part of being a human being is threatened by the way our society has digressed into shallow consumerism. The pedestal of being creative, living/shearing an eventfully life had been swapped for a grey pedestal of robot like conforming, unnecessary perfectionism, and poor life quality.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP8wneiVeqg[/youtube]

lillyanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2011, 12:11 am

A old retired priest walked past and said 'Don't say that I am sick'

I said nothing so I said 'ok' and then I think 'does he think I am a boy lover'

Master of puppets said

'Yes' and I thought well I never thought 'does he think I am a boy lover'

Which one is delusional

Last edited by lillyanne on 20 Dec 2011, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.