Page 4 of 45 [ 714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 45  Next

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2011, 4:45 am

I am sorry I didn't read the whole thread.

I have a few questions: How do you control grandiose thoughts when a manic phase hits?

And when manic phase crashes do you feel extremely nice and generous?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 5:19 am

lostmyself wrote:

I have a few questions: How do you control grandiose thoughts when a manic phase hits?

I isolate myself.

No, I feel like isolating myself more and am irritable. Particularly if I haven't gotten much sleep.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 5:42 am

Tamsin wrote:
Another thing I've noticed that is weird is that recently I've started disliking people standing behind me. I'm just afraid they are going to attack me when I'm not looking, or at the very least they will make faces at me and people will laugh and I won't know what they are laughing about.

The first time I had a major bout of Depression I actually didn't even know I was Depressed until somebody told me I was. I never noticed any symptoms, no lethargy, no sleepiness, no anything. The second time I noticed that most days I had no energy. I couldn't even get out of bed, or if I did I would lay on the floor all day because I couldn't even sit up straight.

If I may ask, what is physical speeding up and slowing down? What does that look like?

If you search for "rapid cycle bipolar" on youtube the best example ive seen will come up. It has a lot of negative ratings but ignore that. It stars a girl called Karli and was done for a class project. I can't link to it directly because I'm on my mobile.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 5:45 am

lostmyself wrote:

I try to analyze each thought logically and objectively - and determine this way whether it is either realistic, reasonable, or a good idea. I try to employ Aspergers style analytical thought.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 5:50 am

lostmyself wrote:

Also, reading the whole thread is not a requirement! Hahaha

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2011, 6:45 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
lostmyself wrote:

I isolate myself.

No, I feel like isolating myself more and am irritable. Particularly if I haven't gotten much sleep.

I am hyperactive during a hypomanic phase. once it crashes I am quite irritated and isolate myself.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2011, 6:50 am

sunshower wrote:
lostmyself wrote:

I try to analyze each thought logically and objectively - and determine this way whether it is either realistic, reasonable, or a good idea. I try to employ Aspergers style analytical thought.

Oh thank you. maybe I don't have AS or I can't employ logical thinking which I prolly should try to do during manic phases. I do think logically until my manic phase gets the better of my thoughts.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2011, 7:02 am

sunshower wrote:
Tamsin wrote:

depression which usually results in me lying on the floor because I don't have the energy to move. When I get like that, which happens often enough, I always worry "Oh no, I'm BiPolar.

This is what happens to me and is a bipolar symptom. At these times i can also get slowing down and slurring of speech plus slackening of facial muscles. My psychiatrist says my bipolar symptoms are unusually physically strong - I get quite pronounced physical speeding up and slowing down.

I have all of that and feel extremely cold especially in the chest area. It feels like my chest is about to explode and my face feels like its painfully swollen up.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 4:31 pm

lostmyself wrote:
sunshower wrote:
lostmyself wrote:

Oh thank you. maybe I don't have AS or I can't employ logical thinking which I prolly should try to do during manic phases. I do think logically until my manic phase gets the better of my thoughts.

Well, to be fair I'm a type 2 (hypomanic - not full blown mania). Are you a type 1?

My thinking during hypomanic phases IS illogical, however I am able to tell that I am hypomanic. I am unable to control my irrational thoughts and desires but what I CAN do is attempt to monitor my external behaviour. I don't have complete success doing so, but since I figured out to do this there's been a huge improvement in my self control during hypomanic phases.

Eg. I get this thought in my head that it would be a fabulous idea to go on an all day sugar binge (eating only sugary foods - sugar has a strong effect on me) throughout the city where I live. As this is an idea which then requires follow up behaviour, I make myself stop and analyze the idea as objectively as I can while still hypomanic.

Is it completely unreasonable and outside the realms of sane behaviour? No. (most hypomanic as opposed to manic ideas aren't).

Is this behaviour that other non-hypomanic people partake in? No. Not to this extreme.

Therefore this behaviour may be something I shouldn't do.

But I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT TO DO IT BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE SUCH AAAAAWESOME FUUUUUN!! !! !! ! XD XD XD

As I am uncertain about this behaviour (there is a seed of doubt placed due to objective analysis) I cannot allow myself to do it now while I am aware of my hypomania and thus know my decision making processes may be impaired. However, to placate myself, given what little self control I currently have, I will undertake this behaviour once I am certain I am not hypomanic IF I still want to do so.

Invariably, after the hypomania is gone, my desire to engage in said behaviour goes with it so I heave a sigh of relief. Especially if said behaviour involves expenditure, or risk taking.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 4:36 pm

If you have type 1 though and experience full blown mania though this technique probably won't work because you'll be more likely to be delusional also and have complete loss of any form of control. The only real way to treat mania is through medication or hospitalization.

I think against periods of hypomania though this technique can help. It definitely hasn't been successful 100% of the time, but sometimes it works quite well.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 5:48 pm

*splat* stuck this thread up.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 5:55 pm

hyperlexian wrote:

:lol:

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 6:58 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

:lol:

:D

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2011, 8:53 pm

sunshower wrote:

If you search for "rapid cycle bipolar" on youtube the best example ive seen will come up. It has a lot of negative ratings but ignore that. It stars a girl called Karli and was done for a class project. I can't link to it directly because I'm on my mobile.

Thank you:) I can see a bit of myself in her, though I'm not as all over the place as she is.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:31 pm

Tamsin wrote:
sunshower wrote:

Thank you:) I can see a bit of myself in her, though I'm not as all over the place as she is.

Sadly, I am, haha.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:41 pm

I just looked that up. Holy Moly... they could have been filming me. :oops: