Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 11:48 am

Time Magazine has an interesting article on the link between psychiatric medication and violence, including homicidal behavior:
http://healthland.time.com/2011/01/07/t ... z1AN3bAwAe

The drugs Atomoxetine, Desvenlafaxine, Fluoxetine (Prozac), Fluvoxamine, Mefoquine, Paroxetine, Triazolam, Varenicline and Venlafaxine, as well as amphetamines used to treat ADHD, are 8 to 10 times more likely to be linked to violence than any other pharmaceutical drug. This is based on data from the FDA’s Adverse Event Reporting System.

I think it is safe to say that many SSRIs, benzodiazepines and amphetamines are directly responsible for violent behavior. Numerous school shooters have been under the influence of such drugs.

In case of Prozac, it has been known since 1991 that there is a strong link between this SSRI and incidents of suicide, violence and homicide. Here is a disturbing video of the FDA hearings on Prozac in May 1991, in which many survivors and victims give their testimonies:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJomeak4V4[/youtube]
But the FDA panel, comprised of individuals and psychiatrists with numerous ties to the pharmaceutical industry and therefore heavy conflicts of interest, completely ignored the evidence. It took the FDA 13 years to finally issue black box warnings that antidepressants can induce suicidality. There are still no black box warnings on antidepressants about violence.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 12:01 pm

Here is a link to a site that has a database of over 4,800 documented cases of people committing suicide or murder or both under the influence of SSRI drugs like Prozac.
http://ssristories.com/

I have complex ptsd and have had three doctors tell me to take this stuff and it's lucky I did not or I and the MF who gave me this condition might very well be dead now.

The manufacturers have made big, out of court settlements with the victims and survivors of Prozac violence and keep it hushed up by including a gag order in the settlement so people can't talk about it.

Another horror, the military is putting soldiers in combat on Prozac. They also often suffer c-ptsd and this is like pouring gas on a fire. Great for getting more dead Iraqi people and then the soldier comes home and kills himself and maybe his family too and then the government can save money on veterans benefits and treatment.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 12:13 pm

Are they seriously just now discovering this?.....too me its a no-brainer. I mean amphetamines causing violence who would ever suspect? I suppose only people who know what the hell amphetamines are. As for SSRI's I have a theory I just came up with which is.....SSRI's increase the amount of active serotonin in the brain.....so say an individual on it is having dangerous thoughts but they have more serotonin or the happy chemical if you prefer well they are probably more likely to act on these thoughts because their brain is saying 'it's all good, you feel fine.' but your actual mental state is saying 'OMG I feel like crap and I'm about to go off on those people at school or myself.' I guess this theory could use some work but it does kinda go along with how prozac made me feel.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 1:06 pm

Amphetamines increase serotonin levels in the brain, which has the same effect as the reuptake inhibition of serotonin by SSRI type antidepressants. They also affect dopamine levels, which explains why amphetamines like Adderall can cause schizophrenia symptoms like paranoia, hallucinations and delusions. And this stuff is prescribed to children :?

I've taken Venlafaxine for a short time to get over a major depression after my last cat died at the ripe age of 19 (she was already 7 years old when I got her). I didn't feel anything while I was on that drug. No emotions whatsoever, totally flat affect. I only sat there, stared at my living room, and couldn't even be bothered to turn on the TV or the PC. I can almost understand why people would do terrible things to themselves or others when they can't feel a thing anymore and everything seems completely pointless.

Good thing that I switched to hypericum, which works as intended without any side effects. Nobody prescribes that though, despite the fact that its effect has been clinically proven. There is simply no profit in herbal drugs that cannot be patented.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 3:11 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Amphetamines increase serotonin levels in the brain, which has the same effect as the reuptake inhibition of serotonin by SSRI type antidepressants. They also affect dopamine levels, which explains why amphetamines like Adderall can cause schizophrenia symptoms like paranoia, hallucinations and delusions. And this stuff is prescribed to children :?

I've taken Venlafaxine for a short time to get over a major depression after my last cat died at the ripe age of 19 (she was already 7 years old when I got her). I didn't feel anything while I was on that drug. No emotions whatsoever, totally flat affect. I only sat there, stared at my living room, and couldn't even be bothered to turn on the TV or the PC. I can almost understand why people would do terrible things to themselves or others when they can't feel a thing anymore and everything seems completely pointless.

Good thing that I switched to hypericum, which works as intended without any side effects. Nobody prescribes that though, despite the fact that its effect has been clinically proven. There is simply no profit in herbal drugs that cannot be patented.

Well bloody hell, no wonder I thought prozac felt kind of like an amphetamine.

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2012, 9:56 pm

I took a seizure medication (forgot which one) that made me VERY violent. I don't take it anymore.

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2012, 4:29 am

I effectivly avoided the need of my recommended medication given by GP, a nice trick is that I always have had problems with geting to sleep,
Although sleep deprivation is considered not a good thing, you have to understand what is specifically "bad" about it, which is
poor cncentration and memory, weak muscles and MAINLY physical body is effected (meaning dont skip slkeep before or after a days physical excercising or gym etc;) and the brain has some good natural chemicals that "fire",
interestingly enough it's some of the chemicals that SSRI's have, it CAN also have anti-depressive chemicals "firing"...This is my evidence and statement that
I myself have found an alternative cure for my depressive and occasionally delusional state of mind, and it gave me motivation to get a hellava lot more busy,
whereas before then I was doomed to medication and sleeping in and getting fustrated that all of the dvds I have Ive already watched heaps of times, boredom and
the feeling I have no satifaction in anything.......now I believe im on a path that has much potential =)