Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 10:50 am

My father could fit very well in the Autism description: all his life he was a weird person, at least it is how other people have perceived him. When he was young he received the schizoaffective diagnosis, I don't know the exact reason but I think because he was very introverted and different in some way. He collected lots of things, from paper bags to books with poems that he wrote. And he was VERY sensitive.

Now I'm living in the apartment that he bought and I'm stupefied to see all the trivial things that he collected. Until now I didn't pay too much attention. He also has special interests like translating whole books, learning other languages and usually shows an obsessive behavior when arranging certain objects (he likes to line up or put them in a strange position (often with good taste) ). He also has some speech impairments and tends to repeat some obsessive thoughts over and over again or make stupid jokes (without being malicious) that are really annoying for others around.

Unfortunately at the moment he has severe depression and takes lots of pills (that barely did help him). I told my mom to tell his psychiatrist that he might have autism but she thinks it's just depression and his schizoaffective disorder. Don't know what to believe. If he has Asperger's, then for me it's 90% sure I have it too since I've read that girls inherit father's genes (in most of the cases).

Now I wonder. Aren't all these things a sign of autism?

Rapture1982
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2012, 2:35 pm

He sounds a lot like my Dad who definitely has Aspergers. He has had his head pumped with "I'm Bi-polar" bullspit for a few decades now and takes a stabilizer that does absolutely nothing for him. It sounds like you may be on to something. How is his social life? Also keep in mind that specctrum disorders are genetic (at least in my opinion) No, scratch that they are. I love it when people go on about how vaccines cause/caused Autism.I don't know It's just that in my family Almost all the males have AS and the truth couldn't be more clear.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 3:08 pm

Yeah, my dad has bipolar depression as well. His social life is so and so, people kinda 'back off' when talking to him (my observation) but because of his profession, he is well accepted. He doesn't have any good friends either but to me he seems social if anybody has the patience to talk with him (he talks a lot, lol). Anyway his social skills are clumsy and he make many blunders. What saddens me the most is that everytime my parents go at the psychiatrist, he asks them if i'm ok (knowing that i have no social life) and is worried i could inherit my parents depression. (my mother is depressive also but i don't think hers has a genetic cause)

Rapture1982
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2012, 10:07 am

One of the obvious signs of ASD my dad has is his social blindness. Walking around the house in his underwear. Putting his underwear in my laundry,burping and farting wildly,getting too close to your face, sleeping on the couch every night, dressing like a bum etc.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 7:58 am

Rapture1982 wrote:
One of the obvious signs of ASD my dad has is his social blindness. Walking around the house in his underwear. Putting his underwear in my laundry,burping and farting wildly,getting too close to your face, sleeping on the couch every night, dressing like a bum etc.

My mother is the same. Though, my father is a little obsessed about cleaning. He showers for hours.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2012, 2:02 am

Rapture1982 wrote:
Walking around the house in his underwear. Putting his underwear in my laundry,burping and farting wildly,getting too close to your face, sleeping on the couch every night, dressing like a bum etc.

That could be a good chunk of the male population you have just described ;)