Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2012, 2:35 pm

In my new school, I've been noticing I'm having even more trouble in school because I'm not getting the world's best grades. Reading and writing have always been an isue for me, but I never thought it was that big of a deal, so I never mentioned it to anyone. So for the heck-of-it, I looked up 'dyslexia' on google. As I was looking through the symptoms, I was able to relate to just about every single one of them. A couple of the symptoms were similar to the aspergers symptoms. I'm going to ask my guidance councelor tomorrow about being tested for dyslexia. This new discovery makes me wonder if I even have aspergers. I can relate more to the dyslexic symptoms moer than I can the aspergers. Any thoughts?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 3:54 pm

Hi, I would for one would still very much welcome your participation here at Wrong Planet! :D

Maybe you are a 'bridge person' so to speak, with some aspie traits but not others, and that is perfectly okay.

And you might even matter-of-factly coach us and help us develop skills, just keeping in mind that it's highly individual and something which works for you may or may not work for someone else but of course you probably already know this.

And maybe for reading and writing, they can teach you some tricks, although not really tricks, just methods. Just additional skills you can add to your skill set.

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2012, 4:28 pm

You could have dyslexia AND mild aspergers. Do you still have some aspie traits that don't apply to dyslexia? If not, then maybe you don't has AS at all, but if you do you are probably borderline. I think dyslexia is closely related to ASDs on the spectrum, from what I've heard about it.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 5:29 am

Before finding about Aspergers I was interested about dyslexia. Here is a list of symptoms in which I can identify 99%
http://www.dyslexia.com/library/symptoms.htm

However, i see there doesn't mention anything about bullying.

I don't know if there's any comorbidity between them but dyslexia can appear later in life while asperger's is 100% genetic.
I haven't received any diagnosis either of aspergers or dyslexia but I see you have received an actual diagnosis of Asperger's.
What made the doctors to give you this diagnosis?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 5:45 pm

Briana_Lopez wrote:
In my new school, I've been noticing I'm having even more trouble in school because I'm not getting the world's best grades. Reading and writing have always been an isue for me, but I never thought it was that big of a deal, so I never mentioned it to anyone. So for the heck-of-it, I looked up 'dyslexia' on google. As I was looking through the symptoms, I was able to relate to just about every single one of them. A couple of the symptoms were similar to the aspergers symptoms. I'm going to ask my guidance councelor tomorrow about being tested for dyslexia. This new discovery makes me wonder if I even have aspergers. I can relate more to the dyslexic symptoms moer than I can the aspergers. Any thoughts?

You can have both. Not all aspies are a pro in certain topics. I didn't get good grades either until I started getting help in school with my school work.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 11:39 am

Now i'm reading Tony Attwood's Book "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" and did mention that dyslexia and asperger's can be comorbid.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 1:44 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
Now i'm reading Tony Attwood's Book "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" and did mention that dyslexia and asperger's can be comorbid.

Yes, I also have both. :D

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 3:26 pm

Raziel wrote:
Yes, I also have both. :D

Yeah, i think that too. But didn't received any diagnosis yet :)

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 1:47 pm

I have autism and dyslexia